driving from PA, going to LI after cruise...parking options?

KShuman

We are driving from PA to hop on the NCL Breakaway out of the Manhattan cruise terminal on Sunday (tomorrow!). After reviewing lots of threads it seems like parking at Weekawken and taking the Port Imperial ferry over to the city seems like a good option for us. It would cost our family of 4 - $160/rt versus the $280 it would cost to park at the cruise terminal parking. I am fine with this option; however, I thought I would ask a question anyhow to see if I am missing another option since we are not heading back to PA when we return. AFTER we return from our cruise we are going to Long Island for a few days...would it make more sense for us to park somewhere else since we are heading to LI when we get back from the cruise?

There are a couple cheaper places to park (regular lots/garages) but a couple people have tried and said it's a pain in the rear and not worth the hassle of walking or cabbing, and trying to fight the traffic back to pick up the rest of their party...

I will let a NY local try and give you other ideas.....I have none at the moment...

THIS might be an option, but I have never used them...

It might be worth it time and aggravation wise to spend the extra $120 and park at the pier. If you park at Weehauken then you will have to get to the ferry, cross the Hudson, then get back in your car to cross the Hudson. You then have to cross the East River to get to Long Island. There are several options depending on the traffic conditions

I agree that it doesn't make sense to save a few dollars if it's a hassle; however, a 10 minute ferry ride to/from the ferry parking lot is worth $120 to me. We are headed to Oyster Bay after the cruise and because I am not from the area I wasn't sure if I should be parking somewhere else before cruising out of Manhattan. I understand that I will end up crossing the Hudson twice on the morning of our return from the Bermuda cruise, but I really don't love the idea of paying $40/day to park at the cruise terminal lot...sorry, but I would rather spend that $120 in savings on a massage on the cruise!:) I am from Lancaster County - thriftiness is in my bones! My philosophy is it's ok to spend money, but I don't love spending it on parking! I want to spend it on excursions, spa treatments, etc!

As a budget traveler I don't think this is crazy. You're doing it on a Sunday morning, which is the lightest traffic time of the week. The ferry ride will be nice - you should be able to see the Breakaway from the ferry plus a nice view of Manhattan. This will only increase the excitement for your kids. Are you planning to walk with luggage from the ferry terminal to the pier?

When you get back, you reverse the process and get one more sailing across the river. Getting through the Lincoln Tunnel on a Sunday morning should be fine as well as getting across Manhattan to cross to Long Island.