Advice on where to stay pre-cruise Jacksonville on a beach

Let me state first that I realize the Port of Jacksonville isn't near a beach just to avoid any confusion.

What we are going to do is drive down from Kentucky on Friday, October 3rd and stay for the weekend before our cruise departs from Jacksonville on Monday, October 6th.

I'm looking for affordable options on a beach that is maybe within 75 miles or so of the ship. If I have to drive further south to get a better room rate I don't really mind.

So far what I've found is that there are places in Amelia Island along with Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach but most are priced out of my budget and I'm assuming because beach front hotels are at a premium along this stretch of the coast...I'm talking $150 and up per night.

It would appear if I go on south to Ormond Beach that I can find decent accommodations on the beach more in that $80-$100 a night range.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on past experience?

Let me state first that I realize the Port of Jacksonville isn't near a beach just to avoid any confusion.

What we are going to do is drive down from Kentucky on Friday, October 3rd and stay for the weekend before our cruise departs from Jacksonville on Monday, October 6th.

I'm looking for affordable options on a beach that is maybe within 75 miles or so of the ship. If I have to drive further south to get a better room rate I don't really mind.

So far what I've found is that there are places in Amelia Island along with Jacksonville Beach and Neptune Beach but most are priced out of my budget and I'm assuming because beach front hotels are at a premium along this stretch of the coast...I'm talking $150 and up per night.

It would appear if I go on south to Ormond Beach that I can find decent accommodations on the beach more in that $80-$100 a night range.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on past experience?

We have stayed at Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach several times and it is very nice. It is only about 20 min from the port.

I remember a local lady on the boards recommending that a poster check into the Atlantic Beach or the St Augustine area.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.....

Edited by GTO-Girl

We ended up at the Best Western Seaside Inn in St. Augustine. It's just across the street from the beach and we've neither one spent any time in St Augustine and it looks like there will be plenty of things to explore there. I

am usually kind of "iffy" on Best Western's and Days Inn's these days but the reviews seemed good for the most part for this place so we will give it a try.