Glacier Bay question

bigandlil

Skywalkers provides nice panoramic views, but I prefer to be out on deck. The Promenade deck provides good viewing as does the bow at the forward of the Promenade deck. If you prefer a more covered area if it is really cold or rainy I also like the second level of the indoor pool area which is enclosed but with full windows and a quick exit to the outside if you want to get a closer look. The problem with Skywallkers is there is no convenient exit to the outside if there is something you want to photograph or see a little better.

Edited by karatemom2

Depending on the weather and winds and your tolerances... Either the open deck above the bridge, or the topmost deck (Sun deck?), or down on the Promenade level right at the bow would be the best views. We were there a couple of weeks ago and had a nice clear day for much of it, so shelter was less important. You may have to fight your way to a railing though :eek: Or do like I did - climb atop one of the stacks of loungers piled up there to clear the space :cool: Made a nice comfortable elevated seat :D

Jim

There’s another level of experience that you’d be missing by staying inside. The sounds that the glacier makes while calving can be incredible. You can hear shotgun like noises as the glacier ice cracks and the building size ice chunks hit the water. It really adds quite a bit. Although, we were there once when the wind was howling and the rain was coming down sideways. We were very content being inside.

On our first cruise, we were up on deck for both Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

For GB, we staked out a spot in "row 2" along the rail on the Sun deck alongside the opening down to the Lido pool, and the family in front of us seemed to take offense and go out of their way to block our view. Whatever...the area was relatively packed, but the view was pretty amazing (direct view of one side, view across the ship at the other side, plus a view of what was ahead as the bow camera was projected on the MUTS screen).

For CF, I staked out a spot further aft on the Sun deck, perhaps alongside Princess Links. I gave up the view of the other side, but it was far less crowded. I had two tripods and we had several cameras, so I just set up on the port side and told my wife I'd be there the whole hour. I was standing in the sun, with the wind being blocked by the ship, and ended up shedding two layers. As the ship began to rotate 30 minutes later, she came back from the starboard side freezing and I laughed at her, but once we were out of the sun and back in the wind, I was quite cold too. :)

I like the lowest open deck. I also never "camp" out a spot, I am always on the move. I have no problem getting rail space, keeping an eye out for the unprepared attire people. :)

I am out for hours longer than most people, always greatly rewarded with wildlife which is my priority. :)