Itinerary Change Notification

rbp3072

I got an email from HAL advising that on our upcoming B2B Caribbean our itinerary had been changed:

"For operation purposes, the port call to Cozumel, Mexico on March 5, 2015 has been replaced with a port call to Costa Maya, Mexico. Please see the attached, revised itinerary."

I as planning on booking the Chichen Itza ruins tour in Cozumel, but obviously that's not going to happen, haha. HAL "just" opened up the majority of our shore excursions last week, but Costa Maya is showing no available tours still. Looking at their generic listings for the port though, it appears there will possibly be two options for ruins...

The Chacchoben ruins and Kohunlich ruins

Anyone been to Costa Maya and think one would be better than the other? I'll have mom with me, and while walking won't be a problem, (slow and steady wins the race is her newest motto ;) ), I know both will have steps, (which are her kyrptonite).

Semi-Related -- I did manage to snag a Beach Villa on our first HMC stop. VERY happy I managed to get that, did so the day it opened up. (Chose the first stop since we 'should' get an extra hour on the island compared to the second stop the following week). Did I say I was happy? :D

Edit - Whoops, meant to post this in ports of call. Was still on HAL side though.

Edited by rbp3072

I've been to both Chichen Itza and Chacchoben ruins and didn't find the walking very much different between the two, including stairs. The walk out to the ruins was further at Chichen Itza, but there was a tram; the sea breeze made it a little more comfortable. I've not been to Kohunlich, so can't speak to how it is there.

If your Mom was willing to do the first ruins, she should be happy with the second.

I've been to both Chichen Itza and Chacchoben ruins and didn't find the walking very much different between the two, including stairs. The walk out to the ruins was further at Chichen Itza, but there was a tram; the sea breeze made it a little more comfortable. I've not been to Kohunlich, so can't speak to how it is there.

If your Mom was willing to do the first ruins, she should be happy with the second.

Thanks for the input Ruth.

(Mom still doesn't know about the cruise, hehe. I was wanting to wait till Xmas to tell her, but I may do it sooner since I can tell she has been in a 'funk' lately, and it would help her slog through the next 9 months till retirement).

As far as I can remember, the steps at Chacchoben can be avoided, though that means missing some of the ruins. There are benches where she can rest and wait for you (if you decide to do the BIG stair portion). All my pics have been lost, so I can't show you what I mean.

We'd take Costa Maya over Cozumel anytime.

Cozumel is a very popular stop and much too crowded. We were there once, along with nine other ships.

Thousands of people on that tiny island made it a miserable stop,