HELP with Australia info

Going on cruise with Crystal on 11/24/14. We are landing in Sydney to board tha ship the same day. Its a 13 night cruise sailing along coastline of Australia with several stops and ending in Bali indonesia. Do we really need to purchase an Australia visa well before we depart or do we purchase when we land in the airport??? I dont understand this visa stuff.

Anyone out there cruised in November along the south pacific coast of Australia? I have read that could be the hurricane season for them but just how rough should we expect the waters? Sea sickness is a concern. Help from anyone who has done this in november.:confused:

Easiest would be to apply online for an electronic visa. It costs about $20.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/601.aspx

I do not know whether this is multiple entry. The one we get for travel to US is for 2 years.

If you do not have correct visa, the airlines are not supposed to allow you to board the outbound flight.

Australia and the US participate in a, sort of, visa waiver scheme. Now done through the online application process. No stated visa fee, but a processing cost.

That means for some short term visits a full visa and associated fees are not required.this includes tourism for a limited period and some business activities.

On each side, you cannot enter the country without the visa -- and the airlines are required to prohibit boarding. I have seen very upset people at both Melbourne and LAX.

I had to have an updated waiver when I went to Mexico via LAX. The procedure was being processed through immigration and customs, out into the terminal (so entering the US), and the back into immigration to get to the Mexico flight.

A few hours in Sydney is certainly preferable to a few hours in LAX.

NOTE, there are different requirements if you are not travelling on a US passport.

Hi Lahlah57,

My husband and I cruised the Queensland coast from Sydney as far north as Port Douglas last November before returning to Sydney. The sea conditions were smooth as.....!

However you never know when a cyclone (or hurricane as you northern hemisphere folk call them) will appear, almost without warning. November to February can be troublesome in that regard, but you never know when or if. You can be sure the ships will detour to avoid them.

Enjoy your cruise,

Rosee