Aida?

Alex71

Yep, maybe we'll just give it a try and decide for ourselves.

We've seen buffets at upscale resorts, that had enough of everything, no lines, waiters that welcomed us and led us to available tables, remembered our preferred drink oders and carried around our baby daughter while we were eating. Whether the Aida experience will be close to that of course remains to be seen.

It will surely not be like that. I just tell you to prevent disappointment. Most waiters are very nice to children but they would not carry around the babies. There will be a nice welcome with a smile and if the restaurant is nearly full they will also help you find a table. But most of the time it is up to you to find a table. There are enough seats. Problem is that some people don´t want to sit together with other passengers. AIDA mostly has big tables for 6-8 people. Small tables for 2-4 people are rare. Drinks are not served except for white wine which has to be cooled. There is water and red wine at the table and

you can order white wine. Soft drinks, juices and beer as well as tea are self service from the drinks station at the buffet. Yes, you will find lines but there is enough of everything - they do refill all the time. And I love their fruit station. Unlike many other buffets I saw at the AIDA ships all the fruit is cut fresh right before your eyes. It doesn´t lay there from start to end.

In principle, we like the concept of fixed tables and MDR service at least for one meal per day, so that we can all sit down togeter and eat at the same time. With buffets, it's often a situation that someone will get up to get something while the others will have to hold the table.

That´s a good point. In my experience if you all leave your table you should make sure your glasses are full and/or some things like bread or so remain there to make sure waiters don´t remove everything and give the table to somebody else. But in many AIDA cruises that happend to me only once. But - as said before - AIDA will not be a good choice for people who don´t like buffet at all.

It will surely not be like that. I just tell you to prevent disappointment. Most waiters are very nice to children but they would not carry around the babies. There will be a nice welcome with a smile and if the restaurant is nearly full they will also help you find a table. But most of the time it is up to you to find a table. There are enough seats. Problem is that some people don´t want to sit together with other passengers. AIDA mostly has big tables for 6-8 people. Small tables for 2-4 people are rare. Drinks are not served except for white wine which has to be cooled. There is water and red wine at the table and

you can order white wine. Soft drinks, juices and beer as well as tea are self service from the drinks station at the buffet. Yes, you will find lines but there is enough of everything - they do refill all the time. And I love their fruit station. Unlike many other buffets I saw at the AIDA ships all the fruit is cut fresh right before your eyes. It doesn´t lay there from start to end.

That´s a good point. In my experience if you all leave your table you should make sure your glasses are full and/or some things like bread or so remain there to make sure waiters don´t remove everything and give the table to somebody else. But in many AIDA cruises that happend to me only once. But - as said before - AIDA will not be a good choice for people who don´t like buffet at all.

Thanks for all the info.

AIDA is definitely off my list as even a possible as I loath buffets and have practically all my meals in the MDR. I just don't find it a relaxing experience or something I look forward to and want to dress up for. Also as a solo traveller it is a complete pain. Food gets cold whilst you try to find a table. Folk sometimes glower at you for having the temerity to sit at a ta Le for 4 (even if that is all that's available). Also if you have to get something else, you lose your seat.

Some number of my friends from FSU (Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, also some of them are living in US) have tried AIDA and really liked it. Yes, they do not speak German, so some of entertainment they could not understand. But they loved atmosphere, saunas, parties, buffets, bier-gartens(?).

I would definitely try this company. Unfortunately itineraries from US porta are not really appealing to us. I will wait for something better.

Love multicultural experience on MSC, but have no problem interacting with German speaking crowd.

• 2 months later...
Love multicultural experience on MSC, but have no problem interacting with German speaking crowd.

Thank you for this post!

I just finished a review of our Canada & New England AIDA cruise on cruisecritic. Anybody who is interested may go to http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=262653

Unfortunately the other ships I cruised with are not on cruisecritic´s list of ships to be reviewed.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was with AIDALuna. We wanted to check if we like cruising, they had a 7-day "European-Cities" cruise sailing out of Hamburg so we booked it as we did not have to fly in. We are Germans so we did not have any issues with the language but it would be good to understand a little German, the crew will be able to understand English but all documents will be in German only.

Back to our "LUNA" cruise: She is a wonderful ship, very clean with one of the most spacious spa areas on the upper deck - all spa treatments are done in rooms that have ocean view and the massages are amazing. Prices are reasonable, not more than what you pay in a good wellness-center. You can also book their special "Spa-Suite" for 4hrs or more - The Spa Suite includes a Whirlpool directly in front of a huge panoramic window, a water bed, a private balcony, a private sauna, two massage beds and a Rainforest-Shower. A bottle of Prosecco and fruit are also included and you can use as many of the high-end "Ligne St. Barth" products as you want.

We had a balcony cabin which was very spacious, a nice bathroom, Shower with Glass doors, lots of storage and all AIDA Ships provide HAMMOCKS on their balconies. The cabin was very clean, however now Mini-Bar and there was also no Room Service available. I do not know if that would be available in Suites.

The Main Buffets are indeed very crowded but we always ate at the "Italian Bistro" which was located on the upper deck, you had a great view, not so much people, outside seating (weather permitting) and the food was really good. For breakfast they have a huge selection of fresh breads and bakery, fruit, all kinds of cakes and Danish and the usual hot selections. In the evening there was also a huge selection, always very good quality. What we did not like was the regular coffee in the morning, that was bad but you could get "Premium coffees" for additional charge. Soft Drinks and Beer are included in the meals, also a red and white wine which is however not really that good. Outside of the meals you do have to pay for all Drinks, I do not know if they have introduced drink packages yet - our cruise was two years ago - we did not have that option at the time. Cocktails ranged in the prices of 5 - 10 EUR per drink.

We loved the shows in the evening. The theater on the LUNA was 3 decks high so they had some acrobats doing a wonderful "in-the-air" Show with long flowing scarfs, really good. We also watched an "ABBA" Show, the performing was excellent and there was a musical-Show, again performance was excellent and we liked this entertainment.

All AIDA Ships do have Specialty Restaurants for extra charge- we went to a Steak-Restaurant on the LUNA, it was very good, Service very friendly and accommodating - this might also be an option for people that do not like Buffet.

I would again do a cruise on an AIDA Ship if the Itinerary and price was right. I would however avoid any German School Holiday times as you will have lots and lots of families with children on board and it will be crowded on those times.

We loved our cruise on the AIDA - we have been pleasantly surprised by it.;)