Anyone else excited about Rio?

BBMacLaird

Hi Xport, I'm back online for you. Tomorrow I'll see where the Shorex Department is on the issues you've brought up. I am really saddened when I read your statements such as "feeling like you're carping" (you're NOT!) and "Planning fun shouldn't be so much work" (I concur, it should be easy, and seamless for you.)

I'll get back to you soon.

Bonnie

You have no idea--trust me--how good it is to have you back... It's been a tough few weeks here and today's not going down well either...

I personally appreciate that you--like Bill--read/listen with discernment, ask for clarification when we're unclear, want to understand our valid issues fully without jumping to improper/incomplete judgments, bring them forward for consideration, follow-up as necessary, and--whether you are delivering a welcome or unwelcome response--always do so with respect for the guest, as you do in all your communications here, and perspective...

If you ever have any doubts, please know that you do make a difference here...

Am so glad that you had an enjoyable, much-needed, and hopefully restful getaway...

By the way... Journey 7084 was my "home" for four weeks--would have been six if the ship didn't require repair/things unfolded as planned--in Asia earlier this year... I loved the location and the onboard pampering...

Edited by Xport

You have no idea--trust me--how good it is to have you back... It's been a tough few weeks here and today's not going down well either...

I personally appreciate that you--like Bill--read/listen with discernment, ask for clarification when we're unclear, want to understand our valid issues fully without jumping to improper/incomplete judgments, bring them forward for consideration, follow-up as necessary, and--whether you are delivering a welcome or unwelcome response--always do so with respect for the guest, as you do in all your communications here, and perspective...

If you ever have any doubts, please know that you do make a difference here...

Am so glad that you had an enjoyable, much-needed, and hopefully restful getaway...

By the way... Journey 7084 was my "home" for four weeks--would have been six if the ship didn't require repair/things unfolded as planned--in Asia earlier this year... I loved the location and the onboard pampering...

Hi Xport, thank you for the warm welcome home! It feels good to be back online with all of you.

And, yes, I loved cabin 7084. At first I worried I'd hear noise from the elevators and/or the proximity to the laundry room. But just the opposite. I heard no noise whatsoever and the convenience of stepping out of the elevator and simply turning left to our cabin was great. Plus super easy for checking on the laundry's progress ;)

And a third plus, though I'm probably not supposed to talk about this, is that during the bumpy North Sea crossing we were low and mid-ship.

Thank you again for the kind words.

Bonnie

I was excited about our forthcoming Malaga - Rio cruise, however it is now with a heavy heart, knowing it will be our last Azamara cruise. This is after yesterdays dreadful announcement of the LCV loyalty scheme.

Why don't you join our roll call? We can commiserate together!

Edited by Grandma Gilly

Hello Xport ~ I have breaking news that should please you:

the shorex team is adding on the return to the ship for you, on your Best of Rio tour! Here's the highlights of the email I just received:

"...Historically the numbers have been so small, having a tour of this nature for pre-booking, that they never operated because they didn't reach the minimum to operate...

But we will give this one a try. We are loading today the 'Best of Rio Tour' with a new code just for in-transit guests, that will return to the ship, at $185.00 pp, the same price as the one that finishes at the airport. But both tours have a minimum number they need to reach in order to operate..."

So, try to talk other B2B guests into joining you on this Best of Rio tour to make sure you have the minimum number. Ask on-board at the Tour Desk what the minimum will be.

Here's another update ~

your tour option is now available on line: Best of Rio with Churrascaria Lunch (In-Transit Guests) code: RJA3.

And I'm informed the tour times for the South America voyages have all been checked and that they are correct as listed.

May I ask that if you know of something that still seems amiss to let me know and I'll pass it back to the Shorex Department to review again?

Thanks again for all your work on studying the tour offerings and sending us suggestions and such detailed missives. Those alone must have taken you quite a bit of time to compose! I'm glad we succeeded in getting the tour bus to return to both the airport and the ship. I'll look forward to hearing how the trip turned out when you return.

Bonnie

And perhaps my week! It's been another tough one...

You can be sure that I'll glance at the Land Discoveries for my cruises within the next few days, start doing my bookings late next week [i am currently at my home in Florida--called to jury duty and didn't want to be rescheduled so at to conflict with my travel--but spend summers in my native Northern New Jersey and am returning there, until November, on Tuesday after a busy weekend], report back on anything I see that still looks amiss, and most assuredly talk up the offering to other consecutive cruisers whom I might encounter on the Roll Call for the 7 February sailing [it's been deadly slow; thus far, there are three of us and the other couple isn't doing a back-to-back] and while aboard... Don't know if it's ever Azamara practice to do so but it might be helpful if Shore Ex were to promote the revised offering--with a secondary pier drop-off--via targeted e-mail to other consecutive cruisers and via onboard communication; surely, I can't be the only one with similar thoughts/interest...

Sincerest thanks for your advocacy and for Azamara's accommodation! I just hope--because I don't think my comments were always recognized as such by some--that there is understanding in Miami that the vast majority of my suggestions related to providing and selling cogent/doable offerings for Azamara's primary benefit...

I truly do appreciate your taking the time to understand the issues, for getting them to the right people with the capacity/interest to make things happen, and for your follow-up...

I am deeply appreciative for your intercession... Azamara should be too!

Edited by Xport

Though I did not have opportunity to review the Land Discovery offerings for Journey’s 7 February and 19 February sailings as quickly as I expected—it’s been hectic—I’ve just done so as promised last week… Let me start by saying that many of my personal concerns have been alleviated thanks to your intercession—in large part, I know exactly what I’ll be doing—but regret to report that there are still disconnects that to my mind represent errors and/or present opportunity for clearer communication… And then, as reported earlier, there are still a few ports for which no Land Discovery offerings have been posted…

I hope the following reflects my observations in a cogent way; here goes…

• Three tours are listed via the 7 February “drop-down list”—that’s our embarkation day—that are being staged on other days and are properly listed on the “drop-down lists” for both those days [16 and 17 February]… I’ve never seen Azamara, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean list tour opportunities on a preview basis in such a manner and, to my mind, the practice is at best duplicative and, at worst, could prompt confusion… I can’t imagine that either is Azamara’s intent…

o Those three tours are RJ-42 [best of Rio with Pier Drop-Off], RJ-43 [sugarloaf & City Sights], and RJ-44 [Corcovado & Rio’s Beaches]…

• There is a fourth excursion—RJ-71 [best of Rio with Airport Drop-Off] that is listed as being offered via the 7 February “drop” down list… The 7 February offering makes no sense in the context of being offered on our embarkation day; if the tour is being offered on 7 February, it should be associated with Journey’s prior [27 January] sailing as a disembarkation day offering… The 19 February offering is an appropriate disembarkation day offering for some guests on our sailing but, as was true above in terms of duplication/potential confusion, is already more properly offered via the 19 February “drop-down list” [but so is the inappropriate 7 March offering!] for this voyage…

• Through your intercession and favorable consideration from the Shore Ex Team, RJ-A3 [best of Rio with Pier Drop-Off for In-Transit Guests] has been correctly added as an offering on 19 February… You can be absolutely sure that I’ll be booking within the next few days! On behalf of all consecutive cruisers, sincerest thanks again!

• Shore Ex has also corrected the association of RJ-95 [Rio By Night With Show At Plataforma Show House] so that it now appears as a post-dinner option for those embarking on 19 February rather than as an option—12+ hours after disembarkation—for those solely on the 7 February sailing [same issue as you had corrected months ago relative to the Nights In Cool Places/ Scenarium excursion… Now I just need to decide which of the two I want to do!

• There is one tour listed via the 19 February “drop-down list”—for those embarking that day; it’s turn-around—that appears to be offered on both 19 and 20 February but that is only being staged on 20 February and is properly listed on the “drop-down list” for that day]… Specifically, that Land Discovery is RJ-92 [Panoramic Rio]… Once again, I’ve never seen Azamara, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean list tour opportunities on a preview basis in such a manner and, to my mind, the practice is at best duplicative and, at worst, could prompt confusion… I can’t imagine that either is Azamara’s intent…

Since I tend to doubt that the Shore Ex Team is compensated based upon the number of tours posted to the website, I can only conclude that someone got a bit carried away with “cut and paste” and failed to proofread… I appreciate your understanding that the vast majority of my observations have nothing to do with me personally—for those that have materialized, I am truly grateful—but that the benefits associated with correction rather accrue to Azamara… Not everyone has fully understood the spirit of my requests and efforts in that context; frankly, those posts came across as placating and dismissive…

And finally, there’s this… As noted earlier, no Land Discovery opportunities have been posted for our port calls at Devil’s Island, French Guiana [1 March] or, other than for the AzAmazing Evening, at Bridgetown, Barbados [we arrive at 9:00 AM pm on 3 March and depart at 10:00 PM on 4 March]… The Barbados situation particularly astounds me as Bridgetown is a frequent seasonal port for Celebrity Eclipse, for Celebrity Equinox, for Celebrity Summit, and—I suspect—for Royal Caribbean; Shore Ex can’t be lacking for experience/resources there…

Sorry that the format of this post is not what I'd hoped for in terms of readability... Cruise Critic and my ISP don't always see eye-to-eye!

One good turn deserves another… I’m hopeful that you and Azamara have found/find my observations to be constructive and helpful…

Hi Xsport ~ Thanks for your continual help. I'll pass along your post and will get back to you probably early next week.

Have a lovely weekend. It's sunny and hot here along the Northern California coast (no fog!) which means our Indian Summer has arrived :):)

Bonnie

Just completed purchase of my Land Discoveries [eight of them!] for the first leg of my back-to-back sailings [including the one for which you so graciously interceded on my behalf] as well as the "Nights In Cool Places: Live Music At The Rio Scenarium" on our turn-around evening...

Azamara will, I suspect, be thrilled by my patronage just as I'm thrilled to be getting the experiences I want... That said, my credit card will still be cooling down hours from now!

I'll work excursions for the 19 February sailing once those offerings are complete...

Once again, sincerest thanks!

Just completed purchase of my Land Discoveries [eight of them!] for the first leg of my back-to-back sailings [including the one for which you so graciously interceded on my behalf] as well as the "Nights In Cool Places: Live Music At The Rio Scenarium" on our turn-around evening...

Azamara will, I suspect, be thrilled by my patronage just as I'm thrilled to be getting the experiences I want... That said, my credit card will still be cooling down hours from now!

I'll work excursions for the 19 February sailing once those offerings are complete...

I thank you for the patronage, and for all the proof reading you've done for us.

Mike, been to the Scenarium. three stories of very intersting walls and objects on them.. my iphone took better pictures than my camera.. i have since lost those pictures thanks to a poor salesperson. i needed to drop box them and never knew it. .she should of asked me.. and i would come back another day.

Mike, been to the Scenarium. three stories of very intersting walls and objects on them.

I really enjoy Brazilian music and, per Trip Advisor, no place does it better and in a more interesting venue in Rio than The Scenarium... It gets great reviews and is ranked #1 for Rio nightlife...

Also purchased my box seat for the Sambadrome Parades today...

As Bonnie initially asked when she started this thread, I'm very excited about Rio!

I really enjoy Brazilian music and, per Trip Advisor, no place does it better and in a more interesting venue in Rio than The Scenarium... It gets great reviews and is ranked #1 for Rio nightlife...

Also purchased my box seat for the Sambadrome Parades today...

As Bonnie initially asked when she started this thread, I'm very excited about Rio!

i am glad you got the box seat. i do remember you saying you are tall so make sure the person behind you gets his or hers pictures in..

I never looked up the Scenarium online.. But people from Brazil love it.. i went the ship included dinner.. but got the group rate and food was poor. I think if you orderd off a real menu it would be better.

music is loud but fun- i was dancing.. just have fun with it. i miss my pictures..

I never looked up the Scenarium online.. But people from Brazil love it.. i went the ship included dinner.. but got the group rate and food was poor. I think if you orderd off a real menu it would be better.

It's a night tour [not our AzAmazing Evening]--part of the new "Nights In Cool Places" series--after dinner aboard ship...

It's a night tour [not our AzAmazing Evening]--part of the new "Nights In Cool Places" series--after dinner aboard ship...

I know that.. 2 or 3 years ago it included dinner and it was not good.. mainly becasue the powers to be in Mia made the tour to early and inclided a cheap bad dinner.. it should of been dinner out of pocket and started like 9 pm. .the city gets busy after 10. we were gone around 10 or so. .too early to leave. .should of had a late bus back.

Hello Xport, the Rio & Barbados tours have all been loaded and/or corrected and are showing in the on-line Land Discoveries brochure now.

I must confess to not understanding what you were describing as the error with "drop down lists" but I hope they are okay now.

Bonnie

Hello Xport, the Rio & Barbados tours have all been loaded and/or corrected and are showing in the on-line Land Discoveries brochure now.

I must confess to not understanding what you were describing as the error with "drop down lists" but I hope they are okay now.

I don't know where to start but, after reading your post very literally, think I may have identified the source of another disconnect...

• You allude to the fact that the online brochures [which are available for download in PDF format] have been updated and, in fact--I just looked--they have been and appear to be quite pristine in the context of my earlier comments...
  • Those brochures are fine--I use them early on to get a sense of what I might like to do on a broad basis--but, fact is, one can't purchase tours in advance of sailing via a brochure! Once one gets down to buying via the website, one doesn't relook at those brochures [though they are no doubt a helpful vehicle for Land Discoveries marketed to guests once aboard ship]
  • Unfortunately, the online booking/purchase engine--which I would expect to be more critical to Azamara in terms of monitoring advance sales and perhaps in predicting future sales--doesn't replicate the "clean" information that is currently listed in the brochure!
  • I think--pray--that if you were to challenge the Land Discoveries Team to compare brochure content to what's now available for website purchase, they will readily note many of the issues that I've been discussing here for months in terms of accuracy, logical/appropriate presentation, and clarity/usability... And they'll know just what they need to do to sync brochure content to web content [my guess--I had a similar issue recently with Celebrity--is that there is assumption that brochure content translates to web content when it does not; as I found out from X, seemingly no one checks]...
  • I am sorry to report that, as of this morning, the website tour offerings--especially at Rio on 7 February [typically, there are no excursion offerings listed on embarkation day and one listed, with airport drop-off, needs to be associated with the prior cruise]--are still [sorry for my lack of diplomacy] a dog's breakfast...

The "Drop-Down lists" to which I alluded in my earlier note are fundamental to use of the website's online excursion review and booking tool... At its top-most level, one searches for and purchases Land Discoveries by selecting an entry in a a field entitled "Date And Port/City" [for instance, selecting "Rio-7 February" will provide all of the tours [in this case, inappropriately but there are entries there] offered in Rio that day... There are secondary "Drop-Down Lists" which allow the user to further filter offerings by "Time Of Day", "Activity Type", "Activity Level", "Duration", and/or "Number Of Tickets [Required]"... A user must use at least one of the "Drop-Down Lists" to generate a list of available offerings; otherwise, nothing happens! If really curious as to how this works--and I can readily understand why you may not be--you might consider asking a Shore Ex Rep to provide you with a demo [of what the user sees!] when next in Miami...

Barbados? Well I suppose that Shore Ex could claim progress by having posted one five hour tour [a bit light on content; it includes a visit to a rum factory, a mahogany carving studio, and lunch]--in addition to the AzAmazing Evening that was posted some time ago-- that is being offered on two consecutive days during our port call from early morning 3 March until late night 4 March... I'm hopeful for more and, having visited Bridgetown twice with Celebrity, know there is more that can be dusted off from Shore Ex files... If not, I'll do my own thing...

Bonnie, please know how much I've appreciated your every effort on behalf of those doing the same cruises as I'm doing and, more importantly, on behalf of Azamara... The scary thing is that, while the issues may not always be so convoluted/blatantly wrong, I can't help but think that they're likely replicated on other sailings... If this were my business, I'd be concerned...

--Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know where to start but, after reading your post very literally, think I may have identified the source of another disconnect...

• You allude to the fact that the online brochures [which are available for download in PDF format] have been updated and, in fact--I just looked--they have been and appear to be quite pristine in the context of my earlier comments...
  • Those brochures are fine--I use them early on to get a sense of what I might like to do on a broad basis--but, fact is, one can't purchase tours in advance of sailing via a brochure! Once one gets down to buying via the website, one doesn't relook at those brochures [though they are no doubt a helpful vehicle for Land Discoveries marketed to guests once aboard ship]
  • Unfortunately, the online booking/purchase engine--which I would expect to be more critical to Azamara in terms of monitoring advance sales and perhaps in predicting future sales--doesn't replicate the "clean" information that is currently listed in the brochure!
  • I think--pray--that if you were to challenge the Land Discoveries Team to compare brochure content to what's now available for website purchase, they will readily note many of the issues that I've been discussing here for months in terms of accuracy, logical/appropriate presentation, and clarity/usability... And they'll know just what they need to do to sync brochure content to web content [my guess--I had a similar issue recently with Celebrity--is that there is assumption that brochure content translates to web content when it does not; as I found out from X, seemingly no one checks]...
  • I am sorry to report that, as of this morning, the website tour offerings--especially at Rio on 7 February [typically, there are no excursion offerings listed on embarkation day and one listed, with airport drop-off, needs to be associated with the prior cruise]--are still [sorry for my lack of diplomacy] a dog's breakfast...

The "Drop-Down lists" to which I alluded in my earlier note are fundamental to use of the website's online excursion review and booking tool... At its top-most level, one searches for and purchases Land Discoveries by selecting an entry in a a field entitled "Date And Port/City" [for instance, selecting "Rio-7 February" will provide all of the tours [in this case, inappropriately but there are entries there] offered in Rio that day... There are secondary "Drop-Down Lists" which allow the user to further filter offerings by "Time Of Day", "Activity Type", "Activity Level", "Duration", and/or "Number Of Tickets [Required]"... A user must use at least one of the "Drop-Down Lists" to generate a list of available offerings; otherwise, nothing happens! If really curious as to how this works--and I can readily understand why you may not be--you might consider asking a Shore Ex Rep to provide you with a demo [of what the user sees!] when next in Miami...

Barbados? Well I suppose that Shore Ex could claim progress by having posted one five hour tour [a bit light on content; it includes a visit to a rum factory, a mahogany carving studio, and lunch]--in addition to the AzAmazing Evening that was posted some time ago-- that is being offered on two consecutive days during our port call from early morning 3 March until late night 4 March... I'm hopeful for more and, having visited Bridgetown twice with Celebrity, know there is more that can be dusted off from Shore Ex files... If not, I'll do my own thing...

Bonnie, please know how much I've appreciated your every effort on behalf of those doing the same cruises as I'm doing and, more importantly, on behalf of Azamara... The scary thing is that, while the issues may not always be so convoluted/blatantly wrong, I can't help but think that they're likely replicated on other sailings... If this were my business, I'd be concerned...

--Mike

Relative to my post of 18 September as quoted above...

Just to let you know that the issues that I identified relative to the website section at which one can view/purchase Land Discoveries--not particularly the Land Discovery Brochures available for download other than for gaps at French Guiana and Barbados that still exist--persist...

• 4 weeks later...

Please refer to my previous posts of 13 September [specifically, my comment as to the complete lack of Land Discovery opportunities on 1 March at Devil's Island, French Guiana] and of 18 September [specifically, my comment that--aside from the AzAmazing Evening--only one Land Discovery offering has been posted during our 37 hour port call at Barbados on 3/4 March]...

You ought know that both issues persist--to my mind, somewhat inexcusable given that final payment on both my cruises has now passed--and I just sent off an e-mail to the Miami Shore Ex Team seeking their prompt reply, and hopefully, resolution...

I am confident that you referred this matter to them in the past but would appreciate it if you would again reiterate the need for action/sense of immediacy that I conveyed to the team in today's note...

Thanks and regards,

--Mike

I have had no information regarding a Rio shuttle for our afternoon, Dec 12, prior to disembarkation the following day. I have tried here on CC, and a direct email to Azamara CLub Cruises. Since a shuttle is an advertised inclusion, shall I assume that one will be available? We just want to explore the central part of the city before staying for two extra days to see other highlights. Thanks in advance.

Rio- no ships shuttle at all in this port-ther is the H.STERNS shuttle to their factory/showroom-which is near stores.. if you want to see other parts of Rio you will need a private tour or a taxi tour. that is it- like 12 ships in at times and the world is all about taxis.

Devils Island-thought i answered this ages ago- there is nothing there- a rustic hotel bar for drinks- lots of wild gardens and birds etc ..some burial grounds etc. when i was there even the Captain was out walking around. all about nature and walking in the heat.

barbados-Mike go snorkeling o na private baot-hold like 20 compared to ships boat tours.. go to the rum factory- to hot to walk but can be done... look for historial home tours.. there is tons to do there- wonder why the tours are missing still.

Devils Island-thought i answered this ages ago- there is nothing there- a rustic hotel bar for drinks- lots of wild gardens and birds etc ..some burial grounds etc. when i was there even the Captain was out walking around. all about nature and walking in the heat.

I've not forgotten your earlier comments about Devil's Island but have been hopeful that Azamara might offer something given the following message on the Land Discovery booking section of the website relative to this port call; the wording does hold out the possibility...

"Shore Excursions are not available for the Port/City you selected. We are currently in the process of updating/gathering information for this Port/City and ask that you please visit our website closer to your sail date."

Devil's Island does have a fascinating history; it was, for years, a notorious French Penal Colony and is the setting behind the book/movie "Papillon" which, if true [some question the story], details his unlikely escape from imprisonment there... And though I know that most remnants of the former prisons [there were several on multiple islands off French Guiana; they were shut down in 1953] are off limits from a tourist perspective, it would--I think--be really interesting to capture the related lore... My research does indicate that tourism is not well-developed there [and I don't speak French!] but apparently at least one cruise line offers a narrated walking tour there while others apparently offer nothing... If my tour destiny is "nothing", I wish Azamara would say so and move on to hope that the Devil's Island history [Dreyfus was also imprisoned there] is instead covered pre-visit by an Onboard Enrichment speaker...

As for Barbados... Well, I just don't get the very limited offering [one tour--other than the AzAmazing Evening--repeated twice over a 37 hour port call] as I've visited twice in the past with Celebrity and know that RCI Shore Ex [it's a shared services group supporting all three brands] has a whole lot more in terms of excursion resources/variety/options than is being offered to-date... Right now, Azamara actually offers more alternatives at tiny Virgin Gorda--during a brief port call--where the only really notable attractions are the sea caves...

I'm fortunate enough to live on the beach so I seek different, unique things when visiting the islands... My guess is that other of my fellow cruise mates do too...

--Mike

Edited by Xport

When Azamara was there another cruise line was. like a Seaborn or sommething. They had set up a tent with water bottles and maps. many of us got maps from them. .They left long before i left the island. Plenty of crew walked to on their short break.. There are buildings left over from the prison days that you can walk thru. I saw enough cells. several buildings. somewhere near them is housing-guessing for the guards- now families with children live there.. not sure where their school is. i walked but some but did not take pictures as to me private homes-there also a church- i question is it is just a stop as we would be at sea to many days from Belem to Barbados.

As to Barbados i have no real answers. After my first time there i never done a ships tour but have gone snorkeling .I lived in FL once and still want to snorkel in many ports. So i can not help.. write instead of Bonnie the LCV person and maybe since she is in MIA she can find out. Most ships do the same tours but this island so easy to do your own thing