Barcelona SOS Mediterranean Greek Isle Cruise w/Paris and Copenhagen Review

Ahhhhhh........Santorini. The only port we DIY. I orginally was looking to do a half day tour in the morning and then a private boat in the afternoon but no one really got back to me about a tour for the morning and after Ciera telling me she wasn't going to go in the water off the boat I figured it made no sense to spend so much money and Cai and I would be the only ones to fully enjoy the experience the way I feel it was meant to be. (Complete run on sentence but oh well)

We planned to wake up later than our usual port days. Instead of getting up at 6:30 we got up at 9.;) As I opened our curtains there she was in all her glory.....Santorini. It looked like we were the first ship to arrive but another one was just arriving. There would be 3 of us that day in total. We headed to WJ for breakfast outside and just took everything in around us. It really was a quite lovely morning. They made an announcement that before 9:30 was open tender and from 9:30 to 11:30 you would need a tender ticket. When we arrived to pick up tender tickets at 10:40 we were told it was now open tender, even better.

The ride in on the tender was smooth and we discussed who would be taking the donkeys up and who wouldn't. Well, we know I wasn't taking a mule, "donkey", all the way up through the stench of urine and poo, while almost getting thrown over the side of a cliff by a stubborn animal made that my big behind expects it to carry me in the hot sun all the way up to the top. Nope, not me but my kids could if they wanted. Ciera said she would do it if Cai would and he gladly agreed. So you think that would be the end of discussion right? Nope! We get off the tender and there are signs to the donkeys and to the cable car. As you get closer to the donkeys you could smell them and Ciera wasn't so sure of her absolute decision now. I paid the man 5 euros for each of them as one of the donkey's defied it's owner and kept walking without a passenger. By then Ciera said she didn't want to know but I told her I already paid and she was going with her brother, then I took pictures of the getting on and I turned and left to go to the cable cars.

The cable cars are also 5 euro each way and you can only purchase a one way trip, which I believe is why there is such a line late in the day to go back down. I think the ride up was way worse than the ride down. An older couple shared a car with me and the wife wanted no part of it. Her husband sat next to me and she sat across facing out. He was egging her on and she was not happy and that made me anxious. As we were going up every so often the car has to go over a connector which shakes the car a little bit and makes a noise, well I grabbed her husband. Yep, you read right! I grabbed that lady's husband, lol. It was hilarious. Anyway we made it to the top safely to live at least that day in beautiful Santorini.

Okay, now I had to figure out how to get to were the donkeys were as I told the kids to stay put and I would find them. It is a good 10 minute, well for me, walk as the steps are long and wide cobblestone and slippery in many spots. By now I was hot and a little sweaty but they were waiting for me excitedly. They loved the donkey ride and wanted the pictures as a souvenir. I of course obliged (it was 4 euro each but later on we heard some people were charged 5 euro for the picture) and they happily told me about their ride. Ciera took pictures and video!

The plan for the day was to first experience Fira (Thera) and then take the bus to Oia. We actually followed that plan. We walked the little streets full of lovely shops in Fira and I of course bought my postcard. We found a great gelato place that was actually more of a greek delicacy shop.:D They had everything you could think of, baklava, spanakopita and a whole lot of other beautiful desserts, all homemade and by the owner who was still baking. I of course bought spanakopita, water and of course gelato! Then I ad a quick conversation in greek with the girl at the register and the owner. (Did I forget to tell you I speak a little greek) They were a delight but we would see them again and we continued on our journey. *sidenote* They are plenty of atms up top in Fira. I didn't look when we got off the tender specifically but I think I remember seeing a ranndom atm there as opposed to bank ones. Also the shops below are the cheapest on the island so buy any souvenirs, hats, shirts, etc there.

We stopped at an atm to fill up on euros and continued to head in the direction of the public bus to Oia. It seemed to be quite a walk and no signs so we stopped to ask in a tour shop and as luck would have it we were right around the corner from it. Then one of my most happiest moments occurred. Cai was amazed that I could speek and understand enough greek to have conversations and asked me how and when did I learn greek. Blush and tears. These moments rarely happen anymore. When your kids are little you are their whole world and they look up to you like you know everything and can do everything. Well then they get to the stage were they think they no everything and certainly more than you and any story you tell them of your past is just that a story. He realzed this story was true.

The public buses are unlike any other public bus I have ever seen. They are coach buses, like Greyhound, Peter Pan and are only 1,60 euros. A man walks down the aisle and takes your money and gives you a receipt. He also gives change if needed. The ride was about 25 minutes and had great views. The bus to Oia drops you off right near the walking pavilion. We walked and just took in the most spectacular sights my eyes have ever seen. The kids relaxed while I went into one of the greek orthodox churches as they were all churched out. Then we walked along briefly going into clothing shops, art galleries and taking photos trying to figure out where to have lunch with so many choices. Well we walked and talked and continued to take everything in until we came across this spa called Kissing Fish. Woah......do those folks in there have there feet in a glass square filled with water and fish......yep. Because this was just too intriguing to us we had to go in and check out more. It is a fish pedicure! Hundreds of little fish nibble on your feet which exfoliates then at the same time. One of us had to do this! So the kids did as I was being frugal again and thought they would always remember this is what they did in Santorini, plus I would do it when returned without them. The minimum was 10 minutes for 10 euros and that is what each of them did.

The 3 ladies were lovely in the spa and the manager told us where to go to get the best gyros. She also told me where to stay when I came back and gave me a book of Santorini. Off we were to the gyro place and they had wifi! Wow was that a great gyro!!! Place was small and packed. How can you beat such a delicious meal for 2,80 euros. I found Greece to be very inexpensive and loved it. We then went back to take the bus to Fira. This time the bus went along the shore below. It was nice to see the different landscape and local housing. We walked a different route back through shops but still found the gem of a place when we first got there and bought the last piece of spanakopita and a gelato for me!

We were on the cable car going back down by 3:45. There were only 4 people in front of us to purchase tickets down. As we exited the tender was there boarding and RCI had water and lemonade to cool you off. The high was about 74 that day and beautiful but the sun can be and was brutal. I left the ship without my hat and that was a big mistake but I didn't burn, thankfully. The sea was now a little rough and we had to wait for the tender in front of us to finish unloading onto the ship before we could so we sat there waiting a good 25 minutes. I loved it as I am a boat person but someone who gets seasick would not have been feeling so great, especially inside.

Once back on the ship I went to the back of WJ to enjoy the view and write in my journal until sail away. Then it was time to start our evening routine starting with 6:30 dinner. At this port I was also able to bring food on the ship by the way of my purse. Nothing really to report on the routine evening besides tonight was casual and we had to set our clocks back an hour which was great as we got an extra hour to sleep and the next day would be a sea day.

Time for pictures!!!!

Ayasha I have so enjoyed your review and especially your incredible photos. Your pics inside the Vatican are amazing. What a wonderful gift you have given your childen.

Thank you so much. I was hoping someone would take something away from this.:) The Vatican was absolutely amazing! After I take some photography classes I want to go back and really take some amazing shots.

They loved it but they truly won't completely understand how big a gift (not financially, although it was) it really is in their life.

Hi - I just started reading your review and I'm really enjoying it. I will continue more tonight.

I'm so curious - how did you manage a 22 day trip like this for 1000.00 per person?

Thank you. I hope I am not just rambling, lol. Sometimes in my writing I do that!:(

The airline tickets were a total of $1000 each not the whole trip. Even that is a great bargain as usually a r/t from the states to Barcelona would be $1300+ but mine included the flt to Paris and Copenhagen.