Alaska - Coral versus Star, a few questions

MayasWay

We cruised the Coral in Alaska last year and enjoyed it so much that we are hoping to treat the entire family next summer to the same experience. Our family is quite outdoor-oriented and we really enjoyed many of the enrichment activities and lectures on the Coral. However, we need to depart on a weekend this time, so must plan on a different ship.

The cruise we're considering is Voyage of the Glaciers (Vancouver to Whittier) on the Star.

We have some questions we're hoping someone can answer:

1) Can we count on a naturalist to be aboard on this cruise?

2) Similarly, will the National Park Rangers come aboard in Glacier Bay? How about Libby Riddle or other speakers?

3) Does the Star have the "secret" viewing decks out front under the bridge like the Coral? If so, which floor(s)?

4) Does the Star have other "secret" viewing areas that might be especially peaceful for viewing glaciers, wildlife, etc.?

5) Can we count on a similar Princess experience on the Star as the Coral?

MANY, many thanks for your time and consideration!

Becky

We cruised the Coral in Alaska last year and enjoyed it so much that we are hoping to treat the entire family next summer to the same experience. Our family is quite outdoor-oriented and we really enjoyed many of the enrichment activities and lectures on the Coral. However, we need to depart on a weekend this time, so must plan on a different ship.

The cruise we're considering is Voyage of the Glaciers (Vancouver to Whittier) on the Star.

We have some questions we're hoping someone can answer:

1) Can we count on a naturalist to be aboard on this cruise?

2) Similarly, will the National Park Rangers come aboard in Glacier Bay? How about Libby Riddle or other speakers?

3) Does the Star have the "secret" viewing decks out front under the bridge like the Coral? If so, which floor(s)?

4) Does the Star have other "secret" viewing areas that might be especially peaceful for viewing glaciers, wildlife, etc.?

5) Can we count on a similar Princess experience on the Star as the Coral?

MANY, many thanks for your time and consideration!

Becky

1. Yes, all Princess ships in Alaska have naturalists.
  2. Yes, Park Rangers are required to be aboard in Glacier Bay. Libby Riddles speaks aboard all Princess ships docked in Juneau.
  3. Star Princess does not have public balconies up front like Coral Princess, but she does have access to the area above the bridge wings. Just go forward on Sun deck and you'll be there.
  4. The forward Promenade deck that wraps around the front of the ship is great, especially if it's raining (follow the Promenade deck forward and then climb some stairs and you'll be there). On my recent cruise on Star Princess, that's where I was during our Glacier Bay transit because it rained off and on... I would also recommend Skywalkers because of the spectacular views.
  5. Yes, you can. I had a great cruise on Star Princess. Of course, it is a larger ship, but the public venues are comparable to Coral Princess.

Thanks for the info RickEk. Followup questions ...

Do you recall how high the barrier wall was on the front promenade? I'm wondering how tall one might need to be to see over it.

Also, when you viewed glaciers (like Margerie in Glacier Bay or those in College Fjord) I know the weather comes into play in this, but do you know if the Star makes the continuous 360 degree turns and gets as close as Coral?