Review of Murano/Burano

Denverite

Our last day in Venice before heading home - June 9, 2014. We took the vaporetto from Piazza Roma (#12 - direct route) to Murano and got off at the Colonna stop. We bought an all-day pass for 15 Euros at the ticket office at P. Roma. The vaporetto was very crowded and we did have to stand. It was also very hot, but oh well, we are in Venice. From the Colonna stop, there was a person pointing people in the direction of a glass-blowing demonstration (for free). We walked over and viewed the very short presentation, but it was interesting. After looking in all the shops and stopping for a soft drink (but no where to sit down unless you want to pay extra), we headed to the Faro vaporetto stop (by the lighthouse). We then took the #12 over to Burano. I had been there before, but I never tire of looking at all the colorful houses. We spent some time taking photos and having gelato (again no place to sit down so we kept walking). Then the #12 back to Venice (via Murano) and switched to the #42 at F. Nove to get back to P. Roma. We spent the entire day just on Murano and Burano and the transportation back and forth, but well worth it. A short video:

Excellent video y really enjoyed your review and the media...I will be in Venice in early August for a cruise and have 2 1/2 days in Venice and was really debating about going to Murano in how much time do you think both places can be done?? I was thinking about that half day but I am welcome to suggestions. Thanks for posting your review and video!!

Laura

Excellent video y really enjoyed your review and the media...I will be in Venice in early August for a cruise and have 2 1/2 days in Venice and was really debating about going to Murano in how much time do you think both places can be done?? I was thinking about that half day but I am welcome to suggestions. Thanks for posting your review and video!!

Laura

I'm sure others can chime in on their experience. We had two full days in Venice. I had been there before but my sister had not. Our ship overnighted in Venice. The first day we walked all over Venice and had prebooked tickets to Doges Palace. The second day we disembarked from the ship and took our luggage to Hotel Olimpia near P. Roma. From there, about 9:30am or 10am, we took the vaporetto to Murano. I think it took about an hour or so by the time we waited for the vaporetto and made the few stops before getting to Murano. We probably spent about 2 hours on Murano and then had a short wait for the vaporetto to Burano. We spent probably 2 hours on Burano, and then the ride back to Venice took another hour or so. In total, we probably spent 6 to 7 hours. You probably could do it in a shorter amount time. I highly recommend Rick Steves book. He gives exact directions on getting to both places from wherever you are in Venice. The transportation does take some time (especially if you get on the slow boat to China, which we did the first time we were in Venice). This time we knew exactly which vaporetto to take and took the "short" route. I think we were back to the hotel around 4:00 or 4:30pm.

Thanks for the tips...I have Rick's book and plan on following his guided tours I have skimmed through some pages and must have missed the section Murano. We will do the behind the scenes there at Doge's palace and will try to do St Marks on our own. Thanks for your suggestions!

Thank you, Denverite, for posting your travel details. We'll be spending 2 days in Venice pre-cruise next March and want to visit both of these islands. Last time we were in Venice we did all the "main" sites and did so much wandering around.

I'll add your notes to my travel file!

Thank you for your beautiful video of Murano and Burano. I especially enjoyed the music you put the video to; I copied down the instrumentalist and that CD will be on my Christmas wish-list!

Thank you for your beautiful video of Murano and Burano. I especially enjoyed the music you put the video to; I copied down the instrumentalist and that CD will be on my Christmas wish-list!

Maurizio is an entertainer on the Princess ships. He is very popular on the ships. "Lullaby for Ava" was, I believe, an original composition of his. I don't know if his CDs are available on-line or only on the Princess ships. We bought his CD while onboard a previous cruise.

We will be in Venice for a pre-cruise visit in October. I was wondering if you purchased any of the lace and, if so, how much was it?

Thank you for the nice video and music.

We will be in Venice for a pre-cruise visit in October. I was wondering if you purchased any of the lace and, if so, how much was it?

Thank you for the nice video and music.

Sorry, I can't help on the cost of lace. We didn't even stop to price anything. I would imagine it is like Murano glass. There is cheap glass and expensive glass. We bought a piece of Murano glass in Vail, Colorado, of all places, and I saw the same piece in a shop in Murano. We did pay a bit more in Colorado, but then again we didn't have to have it shipped.

Perhaps someone who has actually purchased lace on Burano can help out. All I know is there were plenty of shops selling everything lace!

Laura

We were in Venice for a few days before our September 2013 Adriatic cruise, and we spent five hours seeing both islands. In the morning, we visited the Ca d'Oro museum on the Grand Canal and then walked over to Fondamente d' Novo for the vaporetto first to Murano Colonna and then over to Burano. BTW, we ate a late lunch at a restaurant on Murano which had been suggested in a NYTimes article: Acquastanca, and it was delicious and very peaceful.

Enjoy your visit! Although both islands are busy, there are nowhere near the crowds in central Venice.

We recently stayed for 4 nights on Murano at LaGare Hotel before our cruise. Absolutely loved it. Evenings were so peaceful after the crowds went back to Venice. Ate twice at Osteria Al Duomo. You walk into the bar from the street and head back to a beautiful garden area. Wonderful food as well :)