Disembarking questions

Ba' Datz

I have a few questions regarding disembarking in San Juan

1. Whose Customs and Border Control do you go through?

2. I assume that you cannot bring fresh fruit with you but what about pre packaged snacks (cereals, chips, crackers, granola bars', water etc)?

3. Do you go through US Customs at the airport which would turn this into a domestic flight to the US?

Thanks

Since Puerto Rico is the USA, you will go through US Customs after you pick up your luggage. At SJU, you will first have to put all of your luggage and carry-on baggage through the agricultural inspection system, then proceed to check in with your airline.

Darcy

Since Puerto Rico is the USA, you will go through US Customs after you pick up your luggage. At SJU, you will first have to put all of your luggage and carry-on baggage through the agricultural inspection system, then proceed to check in with your airline.

Darcy

Thanks

Do you have any information regading the food off the ship?

At SJU, you will first have to put all of your luggage and carry-on baggage through the agricultural inspection system, .

Darcy

Only checked luggage needs to go through this. We travel with carry-on only and have always skipped this step. It is good though that you have reminded people of it as they will not be able to check luggage without the sticker.

Only checked luggage needs to go through this. We travel with carry-on only and have always skipped this step. It is good though that you have reminded people of it as they will not be able to check luggage without the sticker.

I don't think that is correct. Not saying you didn't do that, but I think they "require" all bags to go through. If they don't actually check carry ons for the sticker maybe it isn't worth the hustle, but I think it is technically required.

We also only travel with carriy on bags. I will try to do some more research before our sju trip in November

You go thru US customs. No fruit or any non-factory wrapped foods allowed. Bottled water and unopened factory wrapped candy/crackers/etc. are OK.

You'll go thru immigration and customs at the port and there are signs everywhere about fruit, flowers, etc. not being allowed. When you get to the airport you'll go thru another agricultural inspection with your luggage. You cannot check your baggage or go thru security until you go thru agricultural inspection at the airport.

AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS

United States Department of Agricultural screens all luggage and carry-on for flights heading to the United States.

International flights with a transfer in the United States must inspect at the USDA terminals. Direct flights from Puerto Rico to a non US airport are exempt from inspection.

The list of the approved products - http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/content/wp_c_puerto_rico.shtml

Darcy

the ag inspection station at the airport is a joke...you put bags through scanner and get a sticker...then you take bags and can do anything with they you want (including putting in prohibited items if you so choose)...the whole process is IDIOTIC. my point is the whole process isn't secured...