Is it better to book in the US

rula40

I am thinking of booking my cruise for next summer very soon. My son and his girlfriend are hoping to come with us. We would rather fly from the UK to the US and enjoy the Florida sunshine for 2 weeks then sail back to Europe, whilst my son and his girlfriend fly back after the 2 week stay in Florida.

Would it be frugal of me to arrange my cruise back to Europe with an American agent as opposed to using a UK agent?

I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere about booking direct in the US and getting better value for money.

The conditions of booking state that you must be resident in the country you are booking from.

You *may* be able to fool them about where you are resident, but once you've done that, I wouldn't make too much noise about it.

You may also run up against a problem when you fill out documentation and it asks for your passport/number. If on the one hand they 'see' that you're resident in the U.S. and you pay with a credit card based in the UK and you have your docs delivered to a UK address and a UK passport - they may become a bit suspicious.

What they'd do about it, I've no idea. At worst, cancel your booking with no refund?

I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere about booking direct in the US and getting better value for money.

I booked my last Trans Atlantic with a US TA and paid less in absolute terms in $ than I would have in £!

Peter

Hi, What you MAY save on the ship portion, you may loose when you have to book one-way air travel. Transatlantic sailings booked in the UK include one-way air fare. Is this also true for US bookings?

Colin.

Often, not - but if you know where to look you can get one way air from NY to Lon for $250 all inc. However it works out, paying $1299 vs £1329 (for example) is a lot better!

Peter

Hi Peter (Guernseyguy), I know you cannot post the details of TAs or web sites in the US that you can get such amazing prices from - but if I gave you my email address could you send me the info ? Such prices should not be missed.

can anyone point me in the right direction without breaching these thread rules?Phil

Google 'discounted cruises' and see what you get - if you get directed to a UK version of the site, go to the US one. If the crossing you want is not listed check the UK 0800 phone number & give them a call.

Peter

Do they have a similar body in the US like ABTA???? I mean what would happen if the company you use in the US go under and they have your money???? Just something else to bear in mind when contemplating booking through a US T/A!!

Elaine

I tried booking a cruise in the US from the UK and got a fantastic deal but they wanted me to pick up the tickets at the pier on the day of sailing which I didn't trust.

I also felt nervous doing that - but I called Cunard with the booking reference and we were in the system - and the only thing I didn't get was a ticket wallet - the most important thing is that you are on the ship's manifest.....

Peter

It depends, is the new answer.

Cunard just changed their reservation system. In order for me to access past passenger rates, I must have my client's past pax number. If my client resides outside of the US or Canada... it is a no go. I cannot book the sailing.

Regional promotions: again, I am asked for residence.... if you reside outside of North America.... it won't let me use the rate.

If someone has never sailed with Cunard before (or any other Carnival Corp owned cruiseline) and can furnish me with a North American mailing address I can get the reservation accepted on a regional promotion or through my group space.

This is the same reservation system we have been using for Princess.

I can’t see the reasoning behind this, is it to do with taxes? And does it apply only to American owned companies?.

I wonder if one is able to book in the US from the UK and achieve the desirable rates, would ones travel insurance be affected should it be necessary to make a claim?

This will be my first crossing with Cunard, but on previous cruises with RCI it has been possible to book your next cruise whilst onboard with the benefit of a small discount. Does this mean that as a UK citizen I made a booking whilst onboard and my fellow traveler being a US citizen booked the same cruise at the same time and place, he would be pay a reduced rate?.

I can’t see the reasoning behind this, is it to do with taxes?

I suspect its all to do with market forces - Cunard charge more in the UK because they can. The US cruise market is much bigger, and therefore more competitive - so they can't get away with the higher prices. How long this survives in the internet age, time will tell.

Peter

Archived