Seeking flight advice Boston to Prauge

MinotLight

Thanks everyone! Original poster here.

We just booked last week with British Air stopping in London to Prague & home from Budapest. We got times we like-leaving Boston at 7:10pm arrive London 6:35. Leave London 9:50 arrive Prague at 12:45. For flights home we leave Budapest at 2:10 (this was #1 reason we did air plus so we wouldn't leave at 6am) arrive London at 15:45 leave at 19:25 and arrive home at 21:40 - too bad it will take 8+ hours instead of the 2 on the clock after the time zone change.

We stuck with economy as we didn't think it was worth about $250 more each way to upgrade to premium economy or nearly $1,500 each way for Business Class.

We looked at Lufthansa but the layovers were either too short or too long. We didn't like the idea of flying in the wrong direction to NY for the Delta flights. It's not so bad on the way but I still remember flying home from Helsinki and seeing Boston as we flew by on the way home and knowing it would be hours before I would be home.

The trip seems so much more real now that flights are booked.

Minot, I so agree with you about flying past Boston!! It drives me nuts each time I have to fly to IAD, PHL or EWR to make that transatlantic hop. The problem is how few European cities have non-stops to/from Boston (and even fewer if I'm limiting to Star Alliance airlines for points).

Your departure time looks great. How much time are you allowing at Logan Terminal E? The last time I flew out of there it took forever to get to the gate. First there was the long, long wait to check in (even though we had no luggage to check) and then there was the long line at TSA. I'm thinking of allowing 3 and half at the airport--so we have time for a meal before we board--and another a long hour just to get to the airport because who knows what the traffic is going to be.

We didn't upgrade out of economy either. If we can do 14 hours to China in economy seats, we can certainly do it to Germany. [bTW, OP on our return flight from China we arrived at O'Hare just a few minutes after we left Beijing; it certainly gave us something to laugh about on the long flight.]

And, yes, the reason we do custom air is to avoid those early morning flights--and the too tight connections; we leave those for those who don't know or aren't willing to ante up the fee. Another hundred bucks is just so little compared to what we have already spent; now we include it in the budget when we start planning along with travel insurance and airport transportation from home.

Your departure time looks great. How much time are you allowing at Logan Terminal E? The last time I flew out of there it took forever to get to the gate. First there was the long, long wait to check in (even though we had no luggage to check) and then there was the long line at TSA. I'm thinking of allowing 3 and half at the airport--so we have time for a meal before we board--and another a long hour just to get to the airport because who knows what the traffic is going to be.

And, yes, the reason we do custom air is to avoid those early morning flights--and the too tight connections; we leave those for those who don't know or aren't willing to ante up the fee. Another hundred bucks is just so little compared to what we have already spent; now we include it in the budget when we start planning along with travel insurance and airport transportation from home.

Thanks for the heads up on the lines at terminal E. We both would rather spend a bit more time at the airport than panic in a rush. I haven't decided yet how I will get to Logan. I usually fly in the morning & take a commuter boat but I might go to work that morning so not sure yet. We will be sure to allow plenty of time-especially to Logan. Might not be so bad to miss the flight home.;)

We were both happy that we had paid for custom air to gets the flights we wanted. An early flight home would have really ended the trip on a sour note and stressful connection times were something we just didn't want. I'm surprised the airlines offer flights with such close connection times.

LOL- we've had to fly past Boston a few times, I always wish I had a parachute:D
That trip to Helsinki was a school trip when I was in graduate school. I sat with two married students. The husband was still drunk from the night before and continued to drink on the flight. The wife was angry with him and it didn't get any better when he spilt red wine on her. There was a big storm and we had to fly way out of the way. By the time we saw Boston I was ready to open the door without a parachute.:D

That trip to Helsinki was a school trip when I was in graduate school. I sat with two married students. The husband was still drunk from the night before and continued to drink on the flight. The wife was angry with him and it didn't get any better when he spilt red wine on her. There was a big storm and we had to fly way out of the way. By the time we saw Boston I was ready to open the door without a parachute.:D

Yes! The seat-mates from ####!! That's why I like the planes that have just two seats by the windows. Just me and hubby and I can spill all the wine I want.

Yes! The seat-mates from ####!! That's why I like the planes that have just two seats by the windows. Just me and hubby and I can spill all the wine I want.

We booked the rows toward the back that are just 2 seats on the transatlantic flights.