Nachi Cocom vs. Playa Palancar

ucfknight07

Hello all!

So we are heading to Cozumel (we'll actually be there a week from tomorrow) and I am debating between visiting either Nachi Cocom or Playa Palancar. This will be our second visit to Cozumel. The first visit we spent the day at Chankanaab, since we booked the Sea Lion Swim with Dolphin Discovery. That was a great place to spend the day, but we're looking to do something different.

Both Nachi Cocom and Playa Palancar look like they have nice beaches which would suit our main criteria - peaceful and laid back. I'd expect the overall experience at Nachi to be a step above Palancar since it's an AI, but I just don't feel like we'd get our money's worth since my wife doesn't drink, and I'm fine with only a few drinks. All we really need is a nice beach where we can relax for a few hours.

Does anyone have experience with both Nachi Cocom and Playa Palancar and can shed some light on whether Nachi is worth the expense over Palancar's free beach?

We've been to Cozumel many times (cruise and resort). We visited Nachi Cocom 2 times, the first time was 3 years ago and it was nice. Small, great service and nice beach. The next time we went it was really crowded (that beach caters to 2 local hotels) and service was bad...and the facilities were run down as if nobody took care of it. Palancar was recommended by our concierge. The beach is nice but really not a lot of sand, it seems they have an erosion issue. The only real bad thing were the flies all day long and worse...the mosquitoes by 4pm...sorry, as much as we liked it, we will not be back for those 2 exact reasons...

We were at nachi for the day last November and found the service and accommodations great. We had such a relaxing day hanging out in the pool and hot tub. The food and service was awesome. The beach and palapas were really nice and peaceful. NO KIDS!!!

BelRik,

Thanks for your perspective on both locations. I've read up on Nachi Cocom and you hardly hear any negative feedback. I appreciated hearing your experiences there, both positive and negative, as well as Palancar. What time of year were you at Palancar? I'm wondering if flies may be worse at certain times of the year. We should be gone before 4 PM, so I'm not too worried about mosquitos, but flies around us all day long would be a pain.

hladygirl,

Thanks for the feedback on Nachi Cocom. That's exactly what we're looking for in our day - peaceful, good food, and less kids than some of the larger beaches like Paradise Beach or Playa Mia. Nothing against kids/families. We just want a nice, quiet day!