Whittier to Denali Train Question

daletabu

If anyone out there has taken the Whittier to Denali Princess Lodge by rail after getting off the ship, we would appreciate clarification on the limitation of a carry on.

Per Princess Cruise they state you are not to bring a carry on any larger than 17x14x4.

In lieu of a backpack we would love to bring our small rolling bag which measures 17x12x9. Will this be an issue? Has anyone brought anything larger than what they tell you to restrict it to?

What problem might this cause?

Thanks for anyone who can share their experience we appreciate it.

Per Princess Cruise they state you are not to bring a carry on any larger than 17x14x4.

In lieu of a backpack we would love to bring our small rolling bag which measures 17x12x9.

The size restriction is due to the limited space available under the seat you will be sitting in.

If it does not fit under the seat, you can have all or part of it on the floor in front of the seat, but space for your legs will then be limited.

See picture below

371798063_G0698080658_08.12Tableandseatincarnumber5DSC00984.jpg.0685b17ab90967c4a7bcb9eab1a6a512.jpg

We had a rolling bag about the size of yours, always fits in overhead on even the small regional planes. Also had a camera backpack which we carried on the train with us. They took our rolling bag and put it in a compartment under neath the seating on our train car. We were in a car with seats, some cars had tables for 4 where some rode facing backwards, so I'm not sure how much room they have at the tables. Maybe some one that has been seated at the tables can tell you about their carry ons.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think a rolling bag would be a good idea, as it is so rigid. You'd be much better off with a large bag or backpack of some sort... something with some flexibility to it. Anything flexible would fit under the seat of the train with no problem.

If you do decide to risk it and bring that rolling bag, I'd advise that it be shared between the two of you. It might possibly fit under the seat, but certainly two of them would not.

There is definitely room for two small items per person. I could have easily brought my CPAP machine and a small flexible bag (a "man purse"!) with me... and my wife could have brought her purse and another small bag. If I had known that in advance, it would have made things a lot simpler.

Thanks so much for the photo. What it shows is a table for 4 persons? Does that mean everyone has to have 4 at their seating?

We were in a car with seats, some cars had tables for 4 where some rode facing backwards, so I'm not sure how much room they have at the tables.

If you are in a car with tables, then there are four people to a table. Two people face forward, two face the rear.

You are assigned to a table, not to a seat, so the first two to make it to their assigned table get to pick which way to face.

Most tables will have 4 (a few might have 3). If you are a party of 2 they will add another couple.

Thanks so much for the photo. What it shows is a table for 4 persons? Does that mean everyone has to have 4 at their seating?