Does someone know how GTY staterooms work?

jlk806

I booked the Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with 1 large porthole window with built in seating (we loved this room on the Dream, our son set up a fort in the window seat. This will be on the Fantasy in November, when I went to select the stateroom it said they did not have one for me to select so I had to take the GTY, does this mean there is a chance I wont get the deluxe oceanview room with the window seat?

Edited by jlk806

I booked the Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with 1 large porthole window with built in seating (we loved this room on the Dream, our son set up a fort in the window seat. This will be on the Fantasy in November, when I went to select the stateroom they said they did not have one for me to select so I had to take the GTY, does this mean there is a chance I wont get the deluxe oceanview room with the window seat?

Once a certain percentage of rooms within a specific category are booked, the category goes GTY (guarantee). You can still select the category, but you cannot select a specific room. DCL will assign a room of AT LEAST the category you've booked or better at a later date.

Most GTY bookings get the category room they've booked. Some are upgraded to a higher category.

Once a certain percentage of rooms within a specific category are booked, the category goes GTY (guarantee). You can still select the category, but you cannot select a specific room. DCL will assign a room of AT LEAST the category you've booked or better at a later date.

Most GTY bookings get the category room they've booked. Some are upgraded to a higher category.

Ahh ok thanks. That's what Im afraid of though, we don't want a balcony we like the large window seat!

Ahh ok thanks. That's what Im afraid of though, we don't want a balcony we like the large window seat!

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the DCL website and seeing if any rooms open up. Then call DCL and ask to be placed in one of those rooms, if one does.

By booking GTY, you have given DCL the right to place you in any cabin on the ship of at least the category you have selected or better. Your best bet at this point is to keep watching the web site. If you see a room of the category you have booked become available, call DCL immediately and ask them to assign you to that cabin. Then put a note on the reservation asking them to NOT upgrade you.

FYI most GTY bookings on Disney are assigned cabin numbers approximately 60 to 50 days out. Good luck and keeping checking your reservation on the DCL website to see when it's assigned.

By booking GTY' date=' you have given DCL the right to place you in any cabin on the ship of at least the category you have selected or better. Your best bet at this point is to keep watching the web site. If you see a room of the category you have booked become available, call DCL immediately and ask them to assign you to that cabin. Then put a note on the reservation asking them to NOT upgrade you.[/quote']

FYI most GTY bookings on Disney are assigned cabin numbers approximately 60 to 50 days out. Good luck and keeping checking your reservation on the DCL website to see when it's assigned.

I agree with these posts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with these posts.

From another forum. ...there is a lot of confusion about the difference between a Guarantee Status Stateroom and IGT/OGT/VGT bookings.

What is Guarantee Status?

Guarantee Status means that when you book a particular category, Disney is not able to assign you a stateroom number at the time of booking. As you get closer to your sail date, Disney will assign you a room number. You can end up in any stateroom that is in the category you booked. However, at their discretion, Disney may upgrade you. It's not necessarily likely that you'll receive an upgrade - but it is possible.

If you try to book a stateroom and you want to be next to or near (or maybe, even - far away from) a particular stateroom, you may wish to book a the next highest category so you can confirm a particular stateroom number where you need it.

This is just like any other Disney Cruise Line booking. There's nothing special about; other than the fact that you won't know which particular stateroom you're in. All the normal deposit, change and cancellation policies will apply.

On some confirmations/documentation, you'll see this referred to as "GTY". That's an abbreviation for Guarantee status.

Guarantee status is similar to a room assignment. Suppose you book category 8A. You go to pick a room, and you must select "guarantee status". You would then talk about this as "category 8A, guarantee status".

What is IGT/OGT/VGT?

IGT/OGT/VGT is a special type of discount program. In return for some very strict cancellation/change policies, Disney will sell you a stateroom that is an Inside Stateroom (IGT), and Oceanview Stateroom (OGT) or a Verandah Stateroom (VGT). You can end up in ANY category on a particular ship that is within the those types of staterooms.

Categories for staterooms on the Wonder/Magic:

Inside (IGT): 10A, 10B, 10C, 11A, 11B, 11C

Oceanview (OGT): 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D

Verandah (VGT): 4A, 4B, 4E, 5A, 5B, 5C, 6A, 7A

Categories for staterooms on the Dream/Fantasy:

Inside (IGT): 10A, 11A, 11B, 11C

Oceanview (OGT): 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D

Verandah (VGT): 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 5A, 5B, 5C, 5D, 5E, 6A, 6B, 7A

IGT/OGT/VGT staterooms are not available on every sailing. If they're available for the sailing you're looking at, it will be the first option listed when you click on "Inside Staterooms", "Oceanview Staterooms" or "Staterooms with Verandah" on the Disney Cruise Line booking engine.

When you book one of these rooms, you can end up in ANY of the above listed categories that falls into the class you booked (Inside, Oceanview or Verandah). In exchange for the lower price, you give up not only knowing where your stateroom will be, but also which category it will be. Further, no changes are permitted to one of these booking. Payment is due, in full, at the time of booking. Once it's booked, THAT'S IT. No changes. No sail date changes. No passenger changes. No name changes. Nothing. It is also completely non-refundable. You will lose everything if you try to cancel one of these. Additionally, once you are assigned a stateroom, again - that's it. You have no recourse to change the room.

The only way one of these staterooms is similar to Guarantee Status is that you don't know where the room will be located.

IGT/OGT/VGT is a stateroom CATEGORY. If you book one of these, you refer to it as OGT, IGT or VGT. (Or, if you're speaking of them in general terms, people will sometimes say *GT or XGT)

There's a lot of posts on the board that confuse the two. If you're wondering when you'll get out of Guarantee Status and have a stateroom assignment, you can refer to "guarantee status", "guarantee", "gty" or "GTY" in your question or post.

If you're wondering when you'll get your stateroom assignment based on an IGT/OGT/VGT, reference it as IGT, OGT or VGT.

Hopefully that will help clear up the confusion between the two.

While this is true, anyone who is going to cancel their cruise will try to do it before the penalty date (75 days before cruising). Thus, you may be able to find an open cabin in your category if you check on line regularly. IF that happens, a phone call to DCL can move you from GTY status to an assigned status before DCL inventory control does their assignments.