Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward

NJ Fred

This "audit" behavior is silly. Where does it end? Does the OP put crumbs on the tablecloth and see if the waiter picks them up? Do they use all the public restrooms and bring their "CSI lights"? Oh - and how about that rust on the starboard railing. The Horror!!!

This "audit" behavior is silly. Where does it end? Does the OP put crumbs on the tablecloth and see if the waiter picks them up? Do they use all the public restrooms and bring their "CSI lights"? Oh - and how about that rust on the starboard railing. The Horror!!!

The OP wasn't "setting traps" he was calling out legitimate existing issues with the cabin upon boarding.

I don't believe at all in "setting traps", for the record. Although when I managed housekeeping one thing we did to make cleaning the rooms thoroughly a game/contest, was hide a poker chip someplace in each room on occasion, and let staff know, and then pay staff a bonus for each chip they discovered while cleaning their rooms.

Other times, we'd hide 3 chips among the rooms assigned to each housekeeper, giving a bonus to the housekeeper who found all 3 chips.

We would hide behind night stand, in a drawer (cleaning requirement is open and dust all drawers between each guest), under a trash can that had clearly not been used (to make sure the can was moved when vacuuming, and not just vacuumed around), behind the throw pillow on sofa (pillows required to be fluffed and replaced each clean), inside the safe (to make sure staff were verifying it was both empty and battery still worked).

I've heard of other hotels using playing cards and making a "poker run" of it. So if you ever come across an errant poker chip or playing card in a hotel room...now you know why!

And I'm not are how ships work, but at Marriott, not only did a housekeeper clean a room, a supervisor/room inspector followed up behind them to verify the room was cleaned appropriately, and all little things were done (all pens to right of notepad, bathmat corner folded up, phone cord wrapped around the phone and untangled, guest guide book and magazines all placed appropriately, and of course all cleanliness issues tended to, Sometimes fold back sheets to verify they were changed and clean and hair free...etc.)

I assume the cruise line has a similar process of room inspections, so that the OP found issues would mean that BOTH the cabin steward AND his immediate superior had failed in their duties, making it even more legitimate of the OP to go to the head of command if he wanted to, once thins were called to attention and still not handled.

I couldn't agree more with Max....

When entering a stateroom, the one and only audit I perform is a quick flush of the toilet. If the toilet performs as it should, everything else is nothing more than a minor annoyance.

Try to remember folks, you're on a cruise ship for god's sake. Enjoy!

Hi Everyone,

As several posts required deletion, it's time to close this thread.

Thanks for your understanding and participation.