Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward

NJ Fred

I have a standard practice when first entering my stateroom. I check behind the television (if it is on a cabinet/desk, etc.) and under the bed.

If an extraordinary amount of dust or any garbage is present I have a matter-of-fact talk with the cabin steward.

One steward balked alleging he was "just assigned this room one hour ago." I did my diplomatic best to assuage his feelings by shifting the blame to his predecessor and telling him: "I thought so because you impress me as being too much of a professional to leave te cabin so untidy."

I give the cabin steward one shot at doing better. If poor cleanliness persists, I take time-stamped photos and share them during an audience with the Hotel Director. I would think most Hotel Directors "get it" that the photos can be sent to the home office.

I am far from an ogre. I simply believe in getting most of what the advertising paraphernalia hypes.

Any strategies you might have would be appreciated. I want to underscore that after 68 cruises on ships of several lines I can count on one hand the number of staterooms I considered unclean upon boarding.

And if anyone feels I should consider the pressure cabin stewards face on debarkation/embarkation days, I respectfully retort (in advance) that this is part of the job - - and that supervisors should have found the housekeeping omissions before a customer did.

I have a standard practice when first entering my stateroom. I check behind the television (if it is on a cabinet/desk, etc.) and under the bed.

If an extraordinary amount of dust or any garbage is present I have a matter-of-fact talk with the cabin steward.

One steward balked alleging he was "just assigned this room one hour ago." I did my diplomatic best to assuage his feelings by shifting the blame to his predecessor and telling him: "I thought so because you impress me as being too much of a professional to leave te cabin so untidy."

I give the cabin steward one shot at doing better. If poor cleanliness persists, I take time-stamped photos and share them during an audience with the Hotel Director. I would think most Hotel Directors "get it" that the photos can be sent to the home office.

I am far from an ogre. I simply believe in getting most of what the advertising paraphernalia hypes.

Any strategies you might have would be appreciated. I want to underscore that after 68 cruises on ships of several lines I can count on one hand the number of staterooms I considered unclean upon boarding.

And if anyone feels I should consider the pressure cabin stewards face on debarkation/embarkation days, I respectfully retort (in advance) that this is part of the job - - and that supervisors should have found the housekeeping omissions before a customer did.

If this were my behavior, my main concern would be how many times my toilet was cleaned with my toothbrush. Demeaning people and passive aggressive threats aren't the way to bring out the best in any human being.

My strategy is to smile and give a friendly hello to the cabin steward whenever I see them. Maybe even have a chat and find out a bit about them. Any major problem I will bring to their attention during one of these friendly chats. Minor problems just aren't worth my time.

Upon first entering the cabin put a pice of gum under the counter and see if it ever goes away.

So you are one :p

You must done that all round the ship, a piece fell on the floor, now it on my shoe

Edited by Airbalancer

The OP's approach sounds a little extreme, but that's just me. I have never had a cabin steward who didn't work hard to please, although of course some have been better than others. If I have any problems, a friendly and low key chat with the steward has always gotten them resolved quickly. It would have to be REALLY bad for me to resort to pictures shown to the Hotel Director. It does sound like the OP may come in with a negative attitude, I'm not sure how far that gets him/her in the long run. Only my opinion, of course.

My strategy is to board with a positive attitude, relax and enjoy my cruise. I have neither the time or inclination to do the white glove test but each to their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with you. I am on the cruise to have a great time, not inspect the room for a little dust.

Wow....

Actually, the OP (as in "me") has a very positive attitude. He merely has a very low tolerance for untidiness and the like - - especially when he is paying handsomely for just the opposite.

If those who jump to conclusions about attitude read my words more carefully they would see that I have only found my stateroom to be in need of remediation on a very few occasions.

Cruise ships are fertile breeding grounds for the dreaded Norovirus, et al. If anybody has caught that bug they know the best prophylaxis is cleanliness and good hygiene.

Staterooms are heralded as being spotless and serviced twice daily; that is part of what you are paying for. And if the steward, whom (as I clearly wrote) does not remediate matters after having them called to their attention, only then do I advance up the chain of command.

Unlike some, I do not make a "beef" with an agenda of getting free champagne, etc. I register my dissatisfaction because I want a matter addressed.

I am not one of those who mechanically checks the "excellent box" on a post cruise survey. I answer dispassionately and accurately. Why? Because, again I say, I am paying for a service.

I have yet to inhabit any cruise ship stateroom that is not in better condition than any room in my condo.

Indeed, I have had hotel rooms that would never meet the expectations of any ship's Chief Housekeeping Officer let alone the Hotel Director.

Is this for real? :confused:

Perhaps it is sarcasm, making a statement about passengers who declare their cruise was ruined by a fingerprint on the TV screen or too few hangers in the closet.

I have yet to inhabit any cruise ship stateroom that is not in better condition than any room in my condo.

My first cruise back in 2007 has inspired me to double my cleaning efforts at home, since I now always want things as clean as my stateroom! (never happens... :D)

When first entering my stateroom, I'll usually check under the bed but just for obvious stuff, like wrappers or something on the floor. Since that would make it clear that the steward didn't vacuum under the bed at all, and then who knows what else s/he didn't clean (I think I read something to that effect on these boards several years ago - I've never actually encountered it).

I want to underscore that after 68 cruises on ships of several lines I can count on one hand the number of staterooms I considered unclean upon boarding.

This sentence begs the question: If you have rarely had an issue, why do you continue to be so obsessed with this? Seems like you are spending a hell of a lot of energy on a problem that barely exists. Aren't you supposed to be having fun on your vacation?:confused:?:confused:?

Holy cow, what a waste of time and energy!!!!

Edited by fortinweb

I have a standard practice when arriving in my stateroom too. I unpack

the carry on bag I have been wheeling around and put the bag against

the wall or on the couch. Then I put my crossbody bag in the closet,

make sure I have my seapass card with me, head out to the closest

bar and order my first adult libation:):D

Who said "to each his/her own"?..........well, you got it;):eek:

Edited by Lois R

And I thought I was anal! Way too much A type personality being exuded in that room. :eek:

I agree with what another poster said - every stateroom I have ever been in is cleaner than any room in my own house! I am NOT going to micro inspect a stewards work while I am on my VACATION!!!! Nope, never. Like is way too short to get obsessed with stuff like that. ;)

Maybe the room stew show ask the "New Occupants" to submit to an a____ swab to make sure they aren't bringing noro into their work environment. :p

If this were my behavior, my main concern would be how many times my toilet was cleaned with my toothbrush. Demeaning people and passive aggressive threats aren't the way to bring out the best in any human being.

Love this response!!!!

Way to go Lois!

I do the same thing as Lois however since the cabins are not ready until 1 or 1:30 its not my first libation.....

Edited by dkjretired