Follow up on NCL Breakaway gratuities not covered with OBC

amsexton

I had a lot of posts to my prior thread on my gratuities aren't covered with onboard ship credit. To clarify .. I understand the policy, don't agree with it, out of principle, credit should be able to be used for what you want! I think some posts were implying I don't want to pay gratuity. Not true!!! I would never do that! We always tip above and beyond!!

My fault for not reading the policy before questioning this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every cruiseline seem to have a different approach. But I can see the reason why OBC won't cover gratuities.

Think about cost of goods sold. Let's say you want to buy a bottle of beer on a ship. You will pay approximately $7. Cost to cruiseline is approximately $1. Draught beer cost about 40% less. So, to buy $1 worth of goods, you will spend $7 of OBC.

Since gratuities are paid to staff (very questionable, I am hearing a lot from ex-cruise employees that cruiseline pockets that too), then "cost of goods" here is same. $10 OBC here will cost $10 to cruise line. Since OBC a lot of times is just money that cruise line gave you, they are "losing" much more money if you use it for gratuities.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a lot of posts to my prior thread on my gratuities aren't covered with onboard ship credit. To clarify .. I understand the policy, don't agree with it, out of principle, credit should be able to be used for what you want! I think some posts were implying I don't want to pay gratuity. Not true!!! I would never do that! We always tip above and beyond!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just have to say this.. and I may be mistaken on when you posted this.. but if you took time out of your hard earned vacation to post this..that is where I think you are wrong. So you didn't read the conditions of the credit.. so what.. but please.. ENJOY WHAT PART OF YOUR VACATION YOU CAN. And, if you spent more than 150.00 onboard, trust me, your credit will go towards that. Who cares where the 150.00 OBC goes, as long as you get it. Am I missing something?

really, why another thread on this
OMG yes!

I agree with your last line.

My favorite line from your last thread was the quite mature "I will never sail this line again".

Were you stamping your feet when you said it ?

We spend plenty of money on drinks, etc to blow through any OBC. I just don't get what the problem is.

(of course we know the people that will just not pay the DSC - but that is another thread - actually a few thousand other threads.)