Aurora - as good as ever

rooftop

Just back from the Baltic cruise on Aurora - third time on board. Previously Canary Islands in 2009 and Central Med in 2012.

We had a fantastic time and every member of staff we encountered was friendly, helpful and courteous. My only reservation would be about our wine steward who seemed a bit dis-interested and would close the check and get me to sign it before asking if we wanted any more drinks/after dinner liqueurs. Doesn't bother me particularly as he helped keep our spend down :)

Having read lots of comments on here about plated meals, I was surprised on 1st evening to see silver service in the MDR - our waiter said they were planning to change to plated meals in the future and at the same time would be losing the wine stewards in the MDRs - no great loss as far as I am concerned.

Food was as good or better than I remember it in 2009 (certainly a bit better than 2012).

My only slight disappointment was that the balcony hand rails on C-deck Port side were in need of a rub-down and re-varnish. Presumably they will be done shortly (perhaps now it is heading for the Med).

Big thumps up from me.

We're also back from Aurora today after probably one of the best cruises we have experienced. It was our firs time on Aurora and we really loved the ship as it was so spacious, and welcoming.

As a lover of Oriana we really think that Aurora has the edge.

Our wine waiter was pretty good, but I wish we had had Regina (who was over the other side of the Medina restaurant, we first met her on Oriana in 2010 and then again in 2012 and here she was again in 2014 on Aurora and so nice for her to recognise us. she loves her world cruises and is planning on doing Arcadia's next world cruise. Who says the staff don't enjoy their work?

We met some lovely people on board (only one old moaner) and we really look forward to another cruise on Aurora. :)

Edited by Brayman

Hi Brayman,

Was there any mention of what is being done in the refit?

I have seen so many suggestions and speculations on numerous forums but nothing appears to be confirmed only the external paintwork.

I was told by one of the youth staff (who had seen the plans) that the youth section is being completely refitted.

Thanks Rooftop, as we both left the age for that area in the 60's. We won't be allowed in but it means the younger ones will get all the latest gear.:)

Edited by PopsiB
Spelling typo

Hi Brayman,

Was there any mention of what is being done in the refit?

I have seen so many suggestions and speculations on numerous forums but nothing appears to be confirmed only the external paintwork.

My wife got some details from one of the crew and the only thing I can remember specifically was converting the Cyber@study into an extension of the Crows Nest and a point where coffee is served, she didn't think it was to be Costa, but I would be very surprised if it isn't.

I never saw anyone in that area the whole cruise. I think I heard that Vanderbilts may be joined up with the library and made in to a Fine Dining restaurant too. Cafe Bordeaux never looked very busy in the evenings whereas the Penant Grill was full when we used it in Stockholm .

From what I have heard I understand Cafe Bordeaux is to be changed into The Glasshouse - like Azura and Ventura - a great shame in my opinion. The library is also going to be changed but I can't remember into what. Again, a great pity, my two favourite places going.

Thanks AnnieUK,

I don't go on until after the refit and as we haven't been on her we will not have anything to compare with. Been on others in the fleet though.

I've heard mention of Library and Vanderbilts becoming a Sindhu, Cyberstudy changing to Costa and incorporating a Library. This is how Eurodam have their set up off the Crows Nest. Also that a Glasshouse will replace Cafe Bordeaux, a lot of work also to the Orangery.

I guess we shall have to wait and see, they must be doing some engine work as well with the length of time they have allowed for it. I think it's almost 3 weeks.

Will be a lovely Christmas for us this year. :)

I couldn't get my head around Café Bordeaux's methods...

I enquired if we could book and evening table and the manager told me that 6.30pm was the only slot left - fully booked for the rest of the night.

Okay...so we duly booked for 6.30pm and arrived fashionably late at 6.45pm - expecting to see a few other early birds. We were the first to arrive and we had 4 waiters all to ourselves.

We took our time and didn't leave until around 8.30pm.... by which time I'd say there was maximum of 10 tables of 2. Yet, they were fully booked on the system???

Perhaps "fully booked" doesn't actually mean all tables full, as I do realise that the 4 waiters would have obviously struggled... but the restaurant manager could have got stuck in if needed, as he stood on ceremony all night. From observing how much standing around the waiters did, I would say they could have managed another 10 tables if they'd needed to.

Perhaps P&O have decided it not worth actively pushing Café Bordeaux pending the changes at the end of the year.

I couldn't get my head around Café Bordeaux's methods...

I enquired if we could book and evening table and the manager told me that 6.30pm was the only slot left - fully booked for the rest of the night.

Okay...so we duly booked for 6.30pm and arrived fashionably late at 6.45pm - expecting to see a few other early birds. We were the first to arrive and we had 4 waiters all to ourselves.

We took our time and didn't leave until around 8.30pm.... by which time I'd say there was maximum of 10 tables of 2. Yet, they were fully booked on the system???

Perhaps "fully booked" doesn't actually mean all tables full, as I do realise that the 4 waiters would have obviously struggled... but the restaurant manager could have got stuck in if needed, as he stood on ceremony all night. From observing how much standing around the waiters did, I would say they could have managed another 10 tables if they'd needed to.

Perhaps P&O have decided it not worth actively pushing Café Bordeaux pending the changes at the end of the year.

We are interested in two Aurora cruises. The trouble is, I cannot find a goo e-mail address for them.

Can anyone help?

I need to contact them.

Thank you

Carolyn

We are interested in two Aurora cruises. The trouble is, I cannot find a goo e-mail address for them.

Can anyone help?

I need to contact them.

Thank you

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

I have checked on the P&O site and I cannot find an email address for them on their web site. I have had an email confirmation from the following address but it may only be an out address. Worth a try though.

reservations@email.pocruises.com

Hope this helps.

June:)

Hi Carolyn,

I have checked on the P&O site and I cannot find an email address for them on their web site. I have had an email confirmation from the following address but it may only be an out address. Worth a try though.

reservations@email.pocruises.com

Hope this helps.

June:)

Hello June,

Thank you,

I will try it.

Carolyn

really disappointed the cafe Bordeaux is closing, loved it there and it gave an extra option for dining.

It is not closing but being converted to a Glasshouse. I presume this means that all food will then be chargeable which is a bit of a downside.

Brian