Questions about getting from (Eurostar) St Pancras Station to Waterloo Station

I think the best route by Underground from St Pancras International to Waterloo is the Victoria Line, transferring to the Bakerloo Line at Oxford Circus :) The transfer is just across the platform so all on the level.

However, I don't know about luggage racks etc.

But I really would not want that hassle with luggage - nor a bus. Just MHO of course.

We took the Victoria Line from St Pancras and changed at Oxford Circus for Waterloo in July. We had 2 large cases and 2 small backpacks with us and we really had no difficulty at all. It was 2:00p.m when we got on the train at St Pancras / Kings Cross and on our return journey we left Waterloo at 1:00 p.m. We are of a "mature" age yet found this incredibly easy to do and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody. In fact we will be doing it again in a few weeks.

We used to queue up at Kings Cross for a cab, sit in traffic jams all the way across London, be subjected to the rudeness of some taxi drivers, panic about missing our train (no choice in our connection time, determined by train operators) then run to get on the train at Waterloo. Taxi? Never again!

It was the timing of OP's journey that worried me, tartanexiles - a weekday morning is never pleasant to struggle with luggage on the tube. Depends on what exact timing of course. Late morning would be much more relaxed. Has OP said what time they are travelling?

Agreed, you could be sitting in traffic in a taxi, but if you have never been to London before, that's interesting - unless of course you have a tight connection to catch. And maybe catching a grumpy taxi driver can be a counted as a genuine 'London experience' for new visitors to the country? Though I would obviously not wish that on anyone, lol.

But a big yes as to the route Victoria - Bakerloo change at Oxford Circus route - we use it a lot esp when connection time is tight. It has never let us down yet and the transfer is so easy.

Edited by Scriv

We used to queue up at Kings Cross for a cab

PS There is usually an abundance of taxis at St Pancras International right outside the terminal to meet Eurostar trains.

Edited by Scriv

It was the timing of OP's journey that worried me, tartanexiles - a weekday morning is never pleasant to struggle with luggage on the tube. Depends on what exact timing of course. Late morning would be much more relaxed. Has OP said what time they are travelling?

Agreed, you could be sitting in traffic in a taxi, but if you have never been to London before, that's interesting - unless of course you have a tight connection to catch. And maybe catching a grumpy taxi driver can be a counted as a genuine 'London experience' for new visitors to the country? Though I would obviously not wish that on anyone, lol.

But a big yes as to the route Victoria - Bakerloo change at Oxford Circus route - we use it a lot esp when connection time is tight. It has never let us down yet and the transfer is so easy.

It's all about time as far as we're concerned and yes, you're right: there's too many grumpy taxi drivers in London. We come down from Scotland by train and because we have to book a through ticket, we've usually got about 45 - 50 minutes to get from KX to Waterloo (or back). Because it's an advance ticket, our times are fixed and honestly for getting across London, - when all you're interested in is making your connection - tube is the best of all the options and we would no longer consider getting a taxi, bus etc. We used to travel via Birmingham to avoid London but now we know how easy it is by tube we take the MUCH cheaper option via London We have to get to the South Coast several times a year to cruise and to visit relatives in Dorset, and train / tube / train is the most user-friendly option, particularly now the facilities at KX are so good. I think for most people who're in transit, getting across London is a means to an end, so therefore speed is more important than sightseeing

Edited by tartanexile81

Oh yes, I quite agree. When on a mission to get a connection, you're not in the right mindset to enjoy the sights. Our original poster was just off to their hotel though, so she/he wouldn't have that pressure. Was just putting a positive spin on the grumpy taxi driver syndrome lol.

Our family do the Waterloo - Kings Cross journey many times a year to go up to the NE/Scotland and also get the advance tickets with their usual 45 - 50 mins leeway. It always panics me a bit, but I have always done it both ways without any problem whatsoever. I have also done the Birmingham connection and found that an absolute nightmare. I prefer being on the London-North train right from the start rather than changing and then looking for my seat, which is invariably taken etc etc. The worst case scenario when they re routed our change from Birmingham to Wolverhampton but omitted to tell us!!! The joys of travelling, eh? But yes, compared to that the tube transfer - particularly via Oxford Circus - is a doddle.

Edited by Scriv

PS

I still believe though, that it is a very different scenario when new-to-the-UK visitors arrive at the Eurostar St Pancras International terminal at a busy time on a weekday morning.

I have also done this very route on several occasions and although I am also a real fan of the underground transfer via Oxford Circus, I would still, in OP's circumstances, choose a taxi to transfer to the hotel, unpack and then get out and explore.

Anyway.... over to the OP to decide lol. I think we have all given this question a real airing and given them lots of viewpoints to make an informed decision.

Edited by Scriv

PS

Anyway.... over to the OP to decide lol. I think we have all given this question a real airing and given them lots of viewpoints to make an informed decision.

You all certainly have! My DH and I have enjoyed reading everyones opinion. We will check times and make our decision based on that. But most probably go with the cab. It's our first time to London after spending several days in Paris. We are in no hurry, as we will just be checking into our hotel. So a nice trip via cab may be a nicer intro to London than struggling on the tube. thanks for all your input!