Live from the Shadow- new SS traveler posting from Alaska

frequent traveler

I used to run a freighter up there and one year our Northern terminus was St. Paul in the Pribilof Islands. It can get some kind of nasty up there especially in the Winter. I never saw a cruise ship up there so was curious. You went where few go (and for good reason).:D

We were pretty lucky with the weather in Petropavlovsk though, sailed out of the edge of the storm into a wonderful clear day, could see all the major volcanos. The Shadow now does this trip each year, once in either direction. Last September they got to Petropavlovk after heavy snow and were unable to make the ATV trip to the volcano.

Thanks for the interest, and we had a wonderful trip.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Not to worry, the two I have met were both rather pompous.

I was having breakfast with the more ameniable of the two on the morning after the gale and sick bags, and he was outraged that someone had put a sick bag over the top of the rabbit sculpture. I nearly choked into my coffee in suppressing my amusement.

Pompous was my opinion too. Thanks for confirming. While I love good shoes my Italian leather does not get worn on the pool deck and I do not respond well to an invite offering to educate me.

• 2 weeks later...
FT and zqvol--

Thanks for your very detailed and interesting report!

It was fun to post as we went along. Seems like JES has much the view on SS from his tour of the Norwegian fjords. Balcony, bathroom and in room dining were welcome aspects but we are the type that when SD delivers it's product, that would be our first choice when itineraries are the same. Still have to try SB though. But as between Regent and SS, thought the service on SS was much better but food and cabin better on Regent. Next up, River cruise.

What river cruise are you looking into? We are doing our second one next May on the Uniworld Antoinette from Amsterdam to Basel. Uniworld is now all inclusive. Was not when we did the Danube last year.

Haven't decided.Thanks for the Uniworld info.