Canal boats or narrowboat experiences?

A little more detail on the boat wouldn't hurt either as there is a wide range of possibilities for a '4 person narrowboat', it could be a spacious 60' boat or a more basic 37' or anything in between ...

Also some idea of previous experience would help as, for example, 60' would be quite a challenge for 2 without previous experience.

We've navigated the entire UK canal network (bar a few miles re-opened in recent years) and I assume in the absence of any other information that you are talking about the UK canals?

Yes, I am talking about the UK canals. The one we have reserved is near Chester England in the beginning of July 2015. It sleeps four, probably about 45 ft. in length. There will probably be just the two of us on it because my friends have either no money or no interest. We will be on it for a week.

I am used to boats, and RV's and trailers, so I am looking forward to this.

I was just wondering about other people's experiences and if they have any general advice. I know to bring soft luggage, rain gear, and some food.

I did some research on these some years ago. The one thing that struck me was the number of locks you have to go through, depending on the route.

Mark T. can give you more on that. I think these are manual and you have to crank them yourselves.

Edited by Talisker92

I did some research on these some years ago. The one thing that struck me was the number of locks you have to go through, depending on the route.

Mark T. can give you more on that. I think these are manual and you have to crank them yourselves.

Oh yes, very manual :)

If there are only two people on-board then you have to divide the labor according to ability so it is easiest if both of you are competent in all tasks, but if not then the fittest, strongest, most agile person is going to be the one jumping on and off the boat to handle the locks while the other person will need the skill to manage entering/leaving the lock and picking up the other person after the lock.

Although you can manage with one person performing all tasks, it makes progress very slow and you will end up depending on others or becoming a somewhat unpopular road-block :)

The locks are not complex to operate and if you follow the instructions you'll be given before the hire company lets you loose, they are safe to use, but do follow the instructions as when operated incorrectly they are potentially very dangerous.

Talk to the company you are hiring from about the route you plan to take, they will help you plan an achievable route plan.

For day to day planning, work out the total number of miles you want to travel (canal maps show mile markers) add on one mile for each lock and divide the total by three, that is the number of hours it will take, roughly.

Leeds Liverpool Canal Lock

The number one worry that our customers who come to us for canal boat hire for say a weekend or a week away or even longer is how on earth they are going to negotiate through a lock and how to operate a lock?

In reality the process of navigating or operating a canal lock is really quite simple which works out quite well since on some of the routes there are quite a few which you need to pass through! A lock put in simplest terms involves a canal boat or boat which enters the chamber and then the lock gates are closed behind it which seals the boat in.

Dependent on whether you need to either lower the boat or raise the canal boat then water is let either into the chamber or out of the chamber and then the gates are open to let the boat out and to continue its journey along the canal.

The water is let in or out by paddles which are operated from the side of the canal. These are mini doors within the chamber gates which are opened by turning the cogs and wheels using a windlass. Sometimes waterways will have a guillotine style lock and these can be operated manually or electronically. If you take a canal boat say onto the River Thames then the lock there is operated by full time lock keepers because it is much larger in size.

Bear in mind that sometimes strong currents can be produced in the process of filling a lock with water or emptying the lock of water and thus you need to remain safe. Water should be let into the chamber or out gradually and not all in once go! The ground paddles need to be opened first to allow the lock to fill to around the halfway mark. Then you can let the rest of the water in gradually by opening the main gate paddles.

Please also bear in mind that you are not the only person on the canal and therefore as a general boaters rule if you can you should share locks with other boats as it saves water and time. Always check that there are no boats coming in the other direction before emptying the lock or filling to suit yourself if the lock is set against you.

Full training will be provided by our award winning team at Canal Boat Cruises and so please do not worry! If operating locks is the only thing stopping you then call us and we will give you a demo on just how easy it really is!

Download British Waterways "How to Operate a Lock on the Leeds Liverpool Canal"

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, I am talking about the UK canals. The one we have reserved is near Chester England in the beginning of July 2015. It sleeps four, probably about 45 ft. in length. There will probably be just the two of us on it because my friends have either no money or no interest. We will be on it for a week.

I am used to boats, and RV's and trailers, so I am looking forward to this.

I was just wondering about other people's experiences and if they have any general advice. I know to bring soft luggage, rain gear, and some food.

We have done the canals twice. 2nd Time with friends in a 4 sleeper. Most enjoyable but be prepared that privacy is a bit limited - you need to walk through 1 bedroom to get to the other. The fact that one needs to return to the same harbour to return the boat is also a bit of a pain, as you return the same way you came (there are no options of dropping off at another harbour). Pack / buy a BBQ kit - there are plenty of places along your way where you are allowed to have a BBQ.