Room service tipping

I like traveling with gold dollar coins and use them for tips. When I tell the foreign staff they're dollar coins, they get a kick out of it. Room service $2 & up, depending on the order.

Before I go on a cruise I make sure I have $50 in singles with me for porters, room service, etc. My DH and I get room service every morning of coffee to drink out on the balcony. We tip them $2.00 cash every time.

I like traveling with gold dollar coins and use them for tips. When I tell the foreign staff they're dollar coins, they get a kick out of it. Room service $2 & up, depending on the order.

That's nice until they try to use them in a port and have to explain to the vendor that they are dollar coins. The vendor probably wouldn't believe them and the result may not be a transaction.

Edited by Disconnections

We tip in cash - $2 for a pot of coffee in the morning. Be sure to write in the tip area that you sign that you paid cash. I made the mistake of not doing that and got charged a tip! I had them take it off.

I have never, ever been charged a tip for room service. I always tip in cash.

I see you have sailed on many lines -- is it possible that was on one of the other lines?

You would rather schlep around gold coins than a few paper bills?

Odd, but to each his own, I guess.....:confused:

My sons first cruise (age14), I explained to him that he would be saving money for vacation. That way he could buy what he wanted and he could tip the room service waiter. You would have thought I said he'd be shredding dollar bills:rolleyes:

That's nice until they try to use them in a port and have to explain to the vendor that they are dollar coins. The vendor probably wouldn't believe them and the result may not be a transaction.

They can't very well turn down the gold coins but they do not like them for this very reason. We have had many room stewards and room service staff tell us that they prefer one dollar bills because anything else is hard for them to spend.

Really? I thought the only automatic tips were added to your bar bill, not room service.

We have never signed anything when ordering room service.

We tip in cash , the amount depends on how large the order is, usually anywhere from $2 to $5.

Where it says "tip" I wrote in $2.00 not thinking that I had already paid the tip and that's what I gave him. It was clearly my fault.

We tip $2-5 cash depending on size of the order. Keep in mind that if you write a tip amount on the slip you sign, that amount will be billed to your s&s card. First cruise we didn't realize that, so they got double tips (cash and charge). :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's exactly what I did!:cool: