My crusie no longer on HAL site

BigBarb

I have a Caribbean cruise booked for Mar 8th 2006. My cruise is no longer on the Holland America site. What does that mean? Thanks everybody for the help I am worried.

BigBarb

Neither is ours. It hasn't been hijacked. It's merely sold out. It doesn't appear on HA's web site because it's not available.

Final payment is due in @three weeks. I expect it to reappear at that time when some will canx.

I doubt you have anything to worry about. But If you're really concerned, why not just call HA?

Mine just disappeared too, but I leave in September, so I assume it means the cruise was sold out as it is no longer available on other travel sites as well.

Neither is ours. It hasn't been hijacked. It's merely sold out. It doesn't appear on HA's web site because it's not available.

Final payment is due in @three weeks. I expect it to reappear at that time when some will canx.

I doubt you have anything to worry about. But If you're really concerned, why not just call HA?

Thanks everybody. It would appear that the cruise has been chartered. Has anybody been on a chartered cruise before where they were not apart of the group? I'm not sure if we have that option or not but the itinerary we want on another date doesn't work for one of our party. I have read posts where this has happened to somebody and didn't understand why they were so upset until now. We have had this cruise booked since January.

Thanks for the replys

BigBarb

If this is really a charter, I am sorry this happened to you.

When someone charters a ship, the charter is for the entire ship. All cabins belong to who ever charters it.

Depending on who chartered it you may be able to book it. Your current booking would be canceled by HAL and you would have to book through whoever is running the charter. BEWARE, charter prices are not cheap. :eek:

It could be chartered by a company for employees and their families, in this case it would not be open to you. Organizations also charter. For instance there are a couple of gay organizations that charter ships, also religious groups, musical groups etc. Booking through the group is sometimes possible. Many times the group is bringing on their own entertainment, thus the higher prices.

Good luck with finding a cruise.:)

Thanks everybody. It would appear that the cruise has been chartered.

Read the other threads on chartered ships, talk to your TA then have the TA contact HAL to find out what they will do to ease your situation. GEnerally speaking, you don't want to be forced into going on a ship that's been chartered (unless, of course, you're already part of the chartering group!)

If someone is already booked, how can they lose their booking if the ship is chartered?

Because your cruise is "cancelled." See the contract:

5. Change in Itinerary/Cancellation: (a) Although we will use our best efforts to provide you with the Cruise, Cruisetour and/or HAL Land Trips, situations may occur which require that changes be made. By way of example only, we may adjust itineraries and schedules, delay departures or arrivals, or cancel a Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip, due to casualty, weather, labor problems, the need to render assistance to others, governmental or insurer directives, passenger or employee injury or illness, schedule delays or changes by third parties, repair and maintenance requirements, fuel or other shortages, or damage to the Ship, other means of transportation, roads, tracks, bridges, docks, equipment or machinery. Furthermore, the Master of the Ship or of any other vessel as well as the operator of any other means of transportation may, in his/her sole discretion, elect not to proceed in the ordinary course. Consequently, we cannot guarantee the itinerary of the Cruise, Cruisetour or any HAL Land Trip (including time of sailing from or arrival at any port or that all ports will, in fact, be called at, or that all places on your Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip will be visited). We reserve the right to provide you with alternative transportation whenever the Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip is unable to proceed or be completed in the ordinary course or, in the case of hotels, to substitute facilities of similar category in cases where the planned hotel is unavailable due to overbooking or otherwise.

How can a cruise be "cancelled" if it is still going to happen, only the boat was "rented" to somsone else?

Does your booking disappear on-line when a cruise is "cancelled?"

Because your cruise is "cancelled." See the contract:

5. Change in Itinerary/Cancellation: (a) Although we will use our best efforts to provide you with the Cruise, Cruisetour and/or HAL Land Trips, situations may occur which require that changes be made. By way of example only, we may adjust itineraries and schedules, delay departures or arrivals, or cancel a Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip, due to casualty, weather, labor problems, the need to render assistance to others, governmental or insurer directives, passenger or employee injury or illness, schedule delays or changes by third parties, repair and maintenance requirements, fuel or other shortages, or damage to the Ship, other means of transportation, roads, tracks, bridges, docks, equipment or machinery. Furthermore, the Master of the Ship or of any other vessel as well as the operator of any other means of transportation may, in his/her sole discretion, elect not to proceed in the ordinary course. Consequently, we cannot guarantee the itinerary of the Cruise, Cruisetour or any HAL Land Trip (including time of sailing from or arrival at any port or that all ports will, in fact, be called at, or that all places on your Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip will be visited). We reserve the right to provide you with alternative transportation whenever the Cruise, Cruisetour or HAL Land Trip is unable to proceed or be completed in the ordinary course or, in the case of hotels, to substitute facilities of similar category in cases where the planned hotel is unavailable due to overbooking or otherwise.

How can a cruise be "cancelled" if it is still going to happen, only the boat was "rented" to somsone else?

I've no idea, it's never happened to me. You really need to be talking to your TA about this rather then hearing the speculation that's rampant on a chat board...

What frequently happens is that a group or company charters the entire ship, thus displacing (dis-shipping?) people who are not on the charter and have already booked cabins. The cruise will happen, but only for people who are booked through the chartering agency.

After the ship has been chartered, your booking and the cruise will disappear from HAL's website and other online travel agencies.

Generally what happens is that HAL and/or your TA will offer you an opportunity to cruise at another time or another ship, or they will give you a refund.

Sorry that this may have happened to you.

To Joyann and Bigbarb -

Bigbarb, from your initial post I gathered your cruise disappeared from HA's schedule. Are you and Joyann saying that your booking numbers are no longer active under the "For Booked Guests" pages?

If that's the case, you need to contact your TAs and HA immediately. If your cabins have been reassigned to a charter group, you need to arrange for a refund. Then follow up by rebooking another cruise and obtaining any compensation you can squeeze from HA for your inconvenience.

Engaging in a dialog on this message board won't solve any real world booking problem you may have without first confirming your booking situation.

If you've been cancelled, come back here for sympathy and compensation advise.

Cruiselines can (and do) completely charter out a ship after they have begun selling cruises. It doesn't happen all that often but it is not extremely rare either.

All the 'displaced cruiser' is entitled to is a refund of all monies paid. Often the cruiselines will add a little something extra but they do not have to. They might give a future shipboard credit on another cruise or an additional discount offer. It is not usually a very large 'extra'.

Having once been subjected to unknowingly being on a ship that was 70% chartered, I would far rather be displaced from a cruise I had booked and to rebook something else than to be on an almost totally booked cruise where I was not a member of the group.

That is a horrible situation and we did not enjoy very much about that cruise.

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I guess if you've booked a flight already, you are out of luck?

Cruiselines can (and do) completely charter out a ship after they have begun selling cruises. It doesn't happen all that often but it is not extremely rare either.

All the 'displaced cruiser' is entitled to is a refund of all monies paid. Often the cruiselines will add a little something extra but they do not have to. They might give a future shipboard credit on another cruise or an additional discount offer. It is not usually a very large 'extra'.

No, my cruise to Hawaii is on Sep. 16 and I believe it disappeared because it has been sold out. My booking shows up and so do all my excursions. I was just wondering if that happens when a cruise is cancelled (your booking disappears too). I'm very curious about this because I didn't realize a cruise could even be cancelled.

To Joyann and Bigbarb -

Bigbarb, from your initial post I gathered your cruise disappeared from HA's schedule. Are you and Joyann saying that your booking numbers are no longer active under the "For Booked Guests" pages?

If that's the case, you need to contact your TAs and HA immediately. If your cabins have been reassigned to a charter group, you need to arrange for a refund. Then follow up by rebooking another cruise and obtaining any compensation you can squeeze from HA for your inconvenience.

Engaging in a dialog on this message board won't solve any real world booking problem you may have without first confirming your booking situation.

If you've been cancelled, come back here for sympathy and compensation advise.

Unfortunately, in most cases, if you booked your air independent of the cruiseline, you usually have to take the loss. I have always felt the cruiseline should be responsible for making the person 'whole again'. If they choose to charter the ship out from under someone they have already sold a cruise to, I feel they should be obliged to compensate completely for all real, documented costs the person incurred such as airline tickets.

Others argue that is what insurance is for. Again, I argue that why should the passenger be forced to expend money (insurance premium) in order to remain whole when they are ready and willing to take the cruise they booked but the cruiseline forced them off the ship, so to speak.

As I explained above, my booking is intact on line, as are all my paid for excursions; my cruise is in September. I believe it has disappered because it was sold out. I already have my docs in my safe.

What frequently happens is that a group or company charters the entire ship, thus displacing (dis-shipping?) people who are not on the charter and have already booked cabins. The cruise will happen, but only for people who are booked through the chartering agency.

After the ship has been chartered, your booking and the cruise will disappear from HAL's website and other online travel agencies.

Generally what happens is that HAL and/or your TA will offer you an opportunity to cruise at another time or another ship, or they will give you a refund.

Sorry that this may have happened to you.

Thanks again for the information, it's good to know for future planning. I would be in a state of shock if this happened to me and I had no idea that it was possible.

Unfortunately, in most cases, if you booked your air independent of the cruiseline, you usually have to take the loss. I have always felt the cruiseline should be responsible for making the person 'whole again'. If they choose to charter the ship out from under someone they have already sold a cruise to, I feel they should be obliged to compensate completely for all real, documented costs the person incurred such as airline tickets.

Others argue that is what insurance is for. Again, I argue that why should the passenger be forced to expend money (insurance premium) in order to remain whole when they are ready and willing to take the cruise they booked but the cruiseline forced them off the ship, so to speak.

As I explained above, my booking is intact on line, as are all my paid for excursions; my cruise is in September. I believe it has disappered because it was sold out. I already have my docs in my safe.

We can only speculate as to the reason the cruise doesn't show up, but for something that close I'd expect it was merely a computer glitch. Still, have your TA contact HAL to reconfirm everything - that's the only way you'll know for sure.

I booked this one directly myself, so I'll call HAL's 800 number, thanks for the tip. It was not on travelocity's web site when I looked, either, if that makes any difference.

We can only speculate as to the reason the cruise doesn't show up, but for something that close I'd expect it was merely a computer glitch. Still, have your TA contact HAL to reconfirm everything - that's the only way you'll know for sure.

OK, I just checked again, my cruise is now back on line at HAL web site, but all categories are now closed except B, S and Penthouse. Hmmm, wonder if that means some of us may get an upgrade at the dock.

OK, I just checked again, my cruise is now back on line at HAL web site, but all categories are now closed except B, S and Penthouse. Hmmm, wonder if that means some of us may get an upgrade at the dock.

:confused: Why would they upgrade people for free at the dock? Lots of folks paid the 'going rate' for those category cabins. Do you think it fair to people who paid full fare or do you think it better they remain empty and people remain in the cabins they paid for/were assigned prior to arriving at the dock? Which is more fair? (if you [or anyone else] have an opinion about it.)

Archived