My crusie no longer on HAL site

BigBarb

OK, I just checked again, my cruise is now back on line at HAL web site, but all categories are now closed except B, S and Penthouse. Hmmm, wonder if that means some of us may get an upgrade at the dock.

A common misconception about upgrades is that if the PH is vacant, everybody moves up a grade. Not so. Upgrades don't occur because a cabin is empty, but because the cruise line needs one that's full. In the final weeks before a ship sails, the remaining space is sold as "guarantee" on the lowest grade of both inside and outside cabins. People buying at that rate get the lowest category. If the lowest category is already full, then someone already booked in that category will be "moved up."

All I know is that this is what HAL said to me when I made my reservation for our cabin, do you want an upgrade if one is available, and when I asked when do you find that you have one, they said, at the dock and not before.

I've been in outside cabins, minisuites and deluxe suites, but I don't begrudge someone getting an upgrade if they are offered one and I would not turn a good one down. I've been asked if I wanted one each time but I've never received one.

:confused: Why would they upgrade people for free at the dock? Lots of folks paid the 'going rate' for those category cabins. Do you think it fair to people who paid full fare or do you think it better they remain empty and people remain in the cabins they paid for/were assigned prior to arriving at the dock? Which is more fair? (if you [or anyone else] have an opinion about it.)

:confused: Why would they upgrade people for free at the dock? Lots of folks paid the 'going rate' for those category cabins. Do you think it fair to people who paid full fare or do you think it better they remain empty and people remain in the cabins they paid for/were assigned prior to arriving at the dock? Which is more fair? (if you [or anyone else] have an opinion about it.)

Since the cruise is back on the site with openings showing in the upper categories only, it appears that HAL is still trying to sell those cabins. If they do not sell, as is often the case, but there are still people trying to book into the lower categories, then it makes sense to move someone into the higher category and fill the ship. Upgrades at the dock do happen, but it isn't a frequent thing, from what I can gather.

We were offered a half price upgrade on the World Tour, as there was a great demand for the category we had booked, but not for the CatSS. Free would have been better:) , but we jumped on that opportunity!

That is what my reasoning was too, considering what I learned on this site about upgrades. They may bump people in the lower priced cabins to the higher categories so they can fill the ship. At 17 days, its probably much harder for them to sell these higher categories than it is for the 7 day cruises.

Since the cruise is back on the site with openings showing in the upper categories only, it appears that HAL is still trying to sell those cabins. If they do not sell, as is often the case, but there are still people trying to book into the lower categories, then it makes sense to move someone into the higher category and fill the ship. Upgrades at the dock do happen, but it isn't a frequent thing, from what I can gather.

We were offered a half price upgrade on the World Tour, as there was a great demand for the category we had booked, but not for the CatSS. Free would have been better:) , but we jumped on that opportunity!

So, those in the lowest category have the best chance of being moved up?

A common misconception about upgrades is that if the PH is vacant, everybody moves up a grade. Not so. Upgrades don't occur because a cabin is empty, but because the cruise line needs one that's full. In the final weeks before a ship sails, the remaining space is sold as "guarantee" on the lowest grade of both inside and outside cabins. People buying at that rate get the lowest category. If the lowest category is already full, then someone already booked in that category will be "moved up."

So, those in the lowest category have the best chance of being moved up?

Seeing as the 'upgrade fairy' has never consulted me, I'm only guessing but it would seem to me that someone in a category "A" is more likely to be moved into an "S" (if anyone is going to be moved) than someone who is in an "F".

IF I were the one doing the moving around (if such is done), I would put those who paid the most into the most costly cabin above someone who had paid a lot less.

Kind of trying to keep it somewhat to, "you get what you pay for". Of course, moving a person from an "A" to an "S" is giving them More than they paid for.

Life isn't fair, that is for sure. It would seem that Mariners who have paid good money for expensive cabins should be those that are rewarded, but it doesn't seem that it works that way. I will probably never get an upgrade, though I did manage to upgrade myself by rebooking one time (at a savings as well) after 911.

Seeing as the 'upgrade fairy' has never consulted me, I'm only guessing but it would seem to me that someone in a category "A" is more likely to be moved into an "S" (if anyone is going to be moved) than someone who is in an "F".

IF I were the one doing the moving around (if such is done), I would put those who paid the most into the most costly cabin above someone who had paid a lot less.

Kind of trying to keep it somewhat to, "you get what you pay for". Of course, moving a person from an "A" to an "S" is giving them More than they paid for.

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for a couple of days but I wanted to give you an update. I talked to my TA and my cruise was indeed chartered and I do have to find another cruise. The problem being getting my group to agree on a date (which was difficult in the first place). If I choose to book a HAL cruise then we will receive $100 per person onboard credit otherwise a refund which many have stated in previous responses.

Luckily we didn't book airfare or hotel yet so no problem there. I just need to change my reservation for a HMC cabana and change the travel insurance. Let's hope that everybody in my party can go on the 26th. Same ship, pretty much the same itinerary maybe more kids but we will just deal with that.

Feel lucky if this has never happened to you before because it is highly disappointing and disheartening. I know all the cruiselines do it but it sure makes you sit back and think about having another cruiseline as your favorite. I am pretty new at cruising but of my 5 cruises 3 have/or will be on HAL. This is the 1st cruise for our friends and they already are questioning my judgement in cruiselines. If we can't do the 26th then we will be going with Princess.

Thanks everybody for all your replys.

BigBarb

I feel sorry for you amd all the others people planning the 3/12/06 trip. I know that Hal reserves the right to charter its ships. However, I feel that the offer of compensation of $100.00 per person in no way can cover your lost time and energy in booking this date. It is bad public relations and I, for one, would feel insulted that they consider my time so inconsequential.

I hope you can reschedule but I would vent my anger more strongly with HAL.

John

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for a couple of days but I wanted to give you an update. I talked to my TA and my cruise was indeed chartered and I do have to find another cruise.

What I'm confused about is did HAL inform you that your trip had been cancelled? If I've been following this thread correctly, you just discovered that it had disappeared from the web site and contact your TA to find out why? When, I wonder, would HAL have notified you? That's the part of this that seems the MOST like bad customer service to me....

IMHO, that just stinks. Sorry for your situation.

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for a couple of days but I wanted to give you an update. I talked to my TA and my cruise was indeed chartered and I do have to find another cruise. The problem being getting my group to agree on a date (which was difficult in the first place). If I choose to book a HAL cruise then we will receive $100 per person onboard credit otherwise a refund which many have stated in previous responses.

Luckily we didn't book airfare or hotel yet so no problem there. I just need to change my reservation for a HMC cabana and change the travel insurance. Let's hope that everybody in my party can go on the 26th. Same ship, pretty much the same itinerary maybe more kids but we will just deal with that.

Feel lucky if this has never happened to you before because it is highly disappointing and disheartening. I know all the cruiselines do it but it sure makes you sit back and think about having another cruiseline as your favorite. I am pretty new at cruising but of my 5 cruises 3 have/or will be on HAL. This is the 1st cruise for our friends and they already are questioning my judgement in cruiselines. If we can't do the 26th then we will be going with Princess.

Thanks everybody for all your replys.

BigBarb

Just a little perspective on this. It sucks, but imagine you are on a spring break cruise with hundreds of families that the parents are involved with training or other activities for hours and the kids are on their own. My skin is crawling just thinking about it. :D ;)

jc

So sorry this has happened to you, BigBarb. Do want to know if HAL contacted you, or only thru your TA's questioning did you learn of this. Glad you didn't already have air, tho.

My upcoming cruise is also not on the sites, as it is fully booked. There are 2 large groups on it...YES, my TA inquired before booking and was told there were no large charters by HAL.:mad: These 2 groups have booked all dining seats except 8:30, there are no res. avail. for Pinnacle, they have even booked most of the movies at the theatre! :(

Since these 2 groups did not completly fill the ship, we cannot cancel. Guess this one of the few times I'm glad we'rre doing a port intensive cruise!

In answer to the question did HAL inform me that answer is NO. I contacted my TA and they found out for me. To add insult to injury I can't even have the cabanna at HMC that I first reserved because on the later cruise somebody already booked it. So instead of the Turquoise we are getting the Blue. Is this cabanna OK?

Thanks

BigBarb

In answer to the question did HAL inform me that answer is NO. I contacted my TA and they found out for me. To add insult to injury I can't even have the cabanna at HMC that I first reserved because on the later cruise somebody already booked it. So instead of the Turquoise we are getting the Blue. Is this cabanna OK?

Thanks

BigBarb

It's right next to the Turquoise. The Blue is the 2nd one in - the Turquoise is 3rd.

Thanks

BigBarb

Thanks to the responses on this board, I called HAL and was told the same thing. I didn't wait to hear their offer, I just cancelled. What really makes me mad is that I booked air and now have to pay re-booking fees for new flights.

I gave up on a cruise and will use the Marriott rewards points from the cruise and book the JW Marriott in Cancun. I will never consider HAL again!

Archived