Hold on credit card?

Msbabynurse

Thank you for answering. We are going on Elation on sept 20. Is it 100.00 per person or 100.00 for each credit card. I guess what I am trying to say is .... Me and my adult daughter will be going. I will put all of the charges on my bill. So will they hold 100.00 or 200.00. I just need to know so I can plan accordingly

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for answering. We are going on Elation on sept 20. Is it 100.00 per person or 100.00 for each credit card. I guess what I am trying to say is .... Me and my adult daughter will be going. I will put all of the charges on my bill. So will they hold 100.00 or 200.00. I just need to know so I can plan accordingly

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought it was per room. You also have the option of putting a cash deposit down.. They will notify you when you need to add more to your account. I have done both, and they equally work for us. We do not put much on our cards. On our last tour to Alaska, we had less than $300 for the 2 of us on a 7 days cruise, but it just depends on how much you expect to spend. Either way you will have fun!

Be advised that sometimes this charge is sufficient to trigger a fraud warning on your credit card. It happens to me almost every time and then my credit card company puts a stop on my card. The charge goes on the morning of your cruise, not when you check in. It will usually be Miami FL and the "vendor" will be the name of your ship. Now when I give this specific info, the credit card company seems to be better with not flagging it.

Be advised that sometimes this charge is sufficient to trigger a fraud warning on your credit card. It happens to me almost every time and then my credit card company puts a stop on my card. The charge goes on the morning of your cruise, not when you check in. It will usually be Miami FL and the "vendor" will be the name of your ship. Now when I give this specific info, the credit card company seems to be better with not flagging it.

Interesting.

I always call my credit card company or bank regarding where and when I'll be traveling, and have never had an issue, even going to Africa.

• 4 weeks later...
How much $ do they put a hold on your credit/debit card for your onboard expenses sail and sign card? I looked all through the FAQ's and can't find the answer. I found the one about tips.

Thanks

I am still trying to find the answer to this question. We leave out next Monday. Carnival forums says 50.00 or 75.00 but the latest thread was in 2012.... so cant go by what that says. I have read through every single question in the FAQ on carnival website, and even through my cruise manager on their site and I cant find the answer.

If anyone has recently cruised, please share your experience with holds placed on your account the day of embarkation. I do not plan on giving them my debit card information until I check in.

Be advised that sometimes this charge is sufficient to trigger a fraud warning on your credit card. It happens to me almost every time and then my credit card company puts a stop on my card...

Interesting.

I always call my credit card company or bank regarding where and when I'll be traveling, and have never had an issue, even going to Africa.

Yep, for me that always takes care of everything. I only made that mistake once.

In fact, email has worked for me on my last several vacations.

Msbabynurse and liddybugg, check the sidebars in your Carnival booking webpage(s) for that info. I just found it fairly easily today, without actually looking for it, when I was setting up my onboard account. $100 on shorter cruises and $200 on 7 days or more.

Edited by Moonarino

The day you leave Carnival puts a couple of hundred dollar hold on your account to cover possible purchases. If you have a sufficient credit limit to cover all of your expenses you won’t have any problem.

We use a credit card for our sail & sign account. After any on board credit is used the card gets charged. The last night we use cash to pay the bill and no charges are placed on our credit card at all.

Just a bit of financial advice. If you are worried about a $200.00 hold, than maybe you will want to use a cash deposit instead. Most holds are short lived, but reading between the lines, it seems you don't have a very high credit limit, that you might need the money immediately off the ship, etc.

Every time you use your credit card, a hold is placed until it is cleared. Gas, restaurants etc. Everyone. Sometimes it is for the amount of purchase. Other times, it is more.

Just a bit of financial advice. If you are worried about a $200.00 hold, than maybe you will want to use a cash deposit instead. Most holds are short lived, but reading between the lines, it seems you don't have a very high credit limit, that you might need the money immediately off the ship, etc.

Every time you use your credit card, a hold is placed until it is cleared. Gas, restaurants etc. Everyone. Sometimes it is for the amount of purchase. Other times, it is more.

Eliminate all doubts and set up a cash account.