Il Lugano?

cruiselover10

Has anyone stayed at Il Lugano in Ft. Lauderdale? It seems like prices for hotels in Ft Lauderdale have skyrocketed. We cannot believe the prices we are seeing for the end of March 2015. If you have stayed there, are there places to walk to? The hotels offers a shuttle up to 3 miles but in case we want to walk we want to have somewhere to walk to. Thanks.

We stayed there a few years ago and there are a couple of small places to grab something to eat and buy liquor within walking distance, but as far as a nice restaurant you will have to grab a taxi. The place is very nice and yes, expensive. We prefer the Lago Mar Resort which is absolutely beautiful and about 10 minutes from the port and airport. It is on the beach and you can go down and enjoy watching the ships leave the port. The restaurant and snack bar in Lago Mar has very good food.

Elaine

Il Lugano is a great hotel, especially if you are lucky to get a room facing the Intracoastal. There are plenty of restaurants/bars within 1-2 blocks walking distance ... you do not need a taxi (I used to live in the area and I walked everywhere). Bokamper's is right next door, as well as a lot of places along 33rd Street, such as Blue Jean Blues (jazz club - live music every night), 33rd Street Wine Bar, Fishtales, a french Bistro, Boardwalk Bar. Along A1A and Oakland Park Blvd is Lucca (Italian), Greek Islands (casual Greek ... so awesome), Thasos (upscale Greek), Cafe Martorano (Italian), Pan'e Dolce (Italian Bakery). Shooters, Chart House, and Flip Flops are on the other side of the bridge (Intracoastal), and there is a water taxi stop at Shooters. There is a Walgreens on the corner of Oakland & A1A. The beach is a 5-minute walk from the hotel; entrance on Oakland Park Blvd.

Edited by brunello22

Hi,

we spent 4 nights there last year, and we liked it so much that we are now booked from August 26th to September 1st. We simply loved the intracoastal view from the balcony, and it took us about 7-8 minutes from lobby to beach by foot. I would never consider an "ocean view" with Il Lugano, as you would need binoculars. The view from that side of the hotel is a parking lot..! It does take you away from downtown Fort Lauderdale, but we just took a taxi or water taxi whenever needed, and a $1 bus fare to Sawgrass Mills, the bus stop is perhaps 3 minutes away from the Hotel Lobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I also booked this hotel through Hotwire for a pre-cruise stay in Jan. 2015. I was just looking at Tripadvisor and a recent review indicated the hotel had file for bankruptcy a while back and had been sold last week.

I sent an email to Hotwire to ask if my reservation will be honoured and will send something to the hotel but does anyone have any thoughts what will happen with our reservation???

Tracey

Wow.. I am staying at the hotel right now, and did not know about this. Guess it is just a change of ownership without much immediate change..? At least i hope they will not force it into condos only, because i would miss the view from my large balcony that i am just now looking out from.

FunkyWrath,

If you are talking to anyone during your stay, can you report what you find out?

I'm really hoping they honour our reservation in January and nothing significant changes with the hotel. It's rates so well with everyone I was really looking forward to our stay!

By the way, what are you doing for dinners and breakfasts while at Il Lugano?

Tracey

I heard back from both Hotwire and the hotel. The hotel said everything is fine with my reservation:

Hello Tracey and thank you for your inquiry.

It will not affect your reservation at all.

You are still all set to arrive at the same time and rate.

Nothing has changed at all concerning reservations.

If you need anything further, do not hesitate to call.

Best regards,

Sheila

Hotwire said that they had not been able to contact the hotel but they had requested a review with their research team that could take 10 business days and they would let me know via email. When I hear something I will post the response.

Tracey

FunkyWrath,

If you are talking to anyone during your stay, can you report what you find out?

I'm really hoping they honour our reservation in January and nothing significant changes with the hotel. It's rates so well with everyone I was really looking forward to our stay!

By the way, what are you doing for dinners and breakfasts while at Il Lugano?

Tracey

Sorry for the late reply.. I asked in the reception and the answer I got was that nothing major would change. She was not very keen on talking about it, though.. I believe they have struggled a long time with selling their condos as was their primary intent, and I seldom see any guests other than two or three at the pool, so I am guessing they struggle with filling the hotel rooms as well.. :( we have never eaten at their restaurant, we have always bought groceries at the nearby wahlgreens and make breakfast in our room and enjoy it on the balcony:) for dinner we usually pick up something from "thai2go" after the beach and enjoy this on the balcony with the sunset:)

Today we ate at the food court at sawgrass mills, regret it now;)

Edited by FunkyWrath

Thank you FunkyWrath for asking at reception and for the info about meals. If you don't mind a few more questions...

1. Where is the closest location to buy a bottle of wine? I believe we could take the water taxi and then walk to Total Wines but is there anywhere closer?

2. Is there easy access to the beach? Is it just a short walk from the hotel?

3. Did you take a taxi from airport to the hotel? If so, how much was the fare?

Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

I have heard from Hotwire again and they have confirmed our reservation for January. Fingers are crossed we get our room without hassle.

Tracey

Thank you FunkyWrath for asking at reception and for the info about meals. If you don't mind a few more questions...

1. Where is the closest location to buy a bottle of wine? I believe we could take the water taxi and then walk to Total Wines but is there anywhere closer?

2. Is there easy access to the beach? Is it just a short walk from the hotel?

3. Did you take a taxi from airport to the hotel? If so, how much was the fare?

Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

I have heard from Hotwire again and they have confirmed our reservation for January. Fingers are crossed we get our room without hassle.

Tracey

Glad to help:)

Wahlgreens (3-4 minutes walk from hotel) has a separate wine/beer/liquor store with a half decent variety) so you can get your fix pretty easily unless you are a deep into Amarone or other Italian wines;) there are mostly

American/Australian/Spanish options and not the exclusive kind..

The beach is literally three minutes away from wahlgreens if the pedestrian lights are kind to you;) just cross the street and you are there in no time. We have enjoyed watching the lizards and iguanas on that walkway:) (exotic wildlife for us Norwegians!) be aware though; there are no lifeguards in that particular area.. I remember reading warnings about strong current and what not, but I can honestly say that i have never experienced anything close to a troublesome current in that vicinity! It would seem however that many of the locals are afraid of swimming.. They seldom go near the water for some reason??

The taxi was approx. $40 and well worth it, it is probably a 20/25 minute drive and taxis are not cheap here. We took the 36 and 72 bus to sawgrass mills (1h20m) for only 1.75 p.p. The busstop is next to wahlgreens. There are also ways of taking the bus/watertaxi to downtown for a reasonable price. The watertaxi is about $20 per person per day and has a stop 2 feet away from the hotel pool area!

Glad to help:)

Wahlgreens (3-4 minutes walk from hotel) has a separate wine/beer/liquor store with a half decent variety) so you can get your fix pretty easily unless you are a deep into Amarone or other Italian wines;) there are mostly

American/Australian/Spanish options and not the exclusive kind..

The beach is literally three minutes away from wahlgreens if the pedestrian lights are kind to you;) just cross the street and you are there in no time. We have enjoyed watching the lizards and iguanas on that walkway:) (exotic wildlife for us Norwegians!) be aware though; there are no lifeguards in that particular area.. I remember reading warnings about strong current and what not, but I can honestly say that i have never experienced anything close to a troublesome current in that vicinity! It would seem however that many of the locals are afraid of swimming.. They seldom go near the water for some reason??

The taxi was approx. $40 and well worth it, it is probably a 20/25 minute drive and taxis are not cheap here. We took the 36 and 72 bus to sawgrass mills (1h20m) for only 1.75 p.p. The busstop is next to wahlgreens. There are also ways of taking the bus/watertaxi to downtown for a reasonable price. The watertaxi is about $20 per person per day and has a stop 2 feet away from the hotel pool area!

I used to live in the Lauderdale Beach neighborhood and was at the beach all the time ... never afraid of swimming. We just paid attention to the tides and currents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app