Captains Night - Ancient Wonders Cruise???

I'm sure someone on here told me the captains night on Ancient Wonders is never on the sea day but always on the Thursday for some reason. Can anyone who's done this itinerary confirm this for me? Or does it differ?

All-afloaty :)

You're right with the reason Topsey and of course don't miss the sail through the Dardanelles; make sure you are out on deck for the commentary; beautifully moving & probably even more so with this year being 100 years from the start of WW1.

At least you get a few extra days to get a sun tan for your Captain's Night attire!

You're right with the reason Topsey and of course don't miss the sail through the Dardanelles; make sure you are out on deck for the commentary; beautifully moving & probably even more so with this year being 100 years from the start of WW1.

At least you get a few extra days to get a sun tan for your Captain's Night attire!

I forgot about the Dardenelles. Is this a day or night time thing? Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
It was very moving, the commentary through the Dardanelles. I am now trying to find out more about this, to my shame.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi shot2bits did you enjoy Ancient Wonders? Any tips? Was Thursday Captains Night?

All-afloaty :)

Hi, yes Ancient Wonders was really good! In Athens, get the HoHo blue bus, 10 euros takes you everywhere from just outside the port. Santorini, get a local bus to Oia, 1.50 euros and takes 20 minutes. Thomson want about 20 quid for this. Well worth the visit, beautiful place. Lesbos, bit of a none event, was expecting the spectacular and failed to live up to expectations. Istanbul, well we were lucky really. Walked from the ship to the Gelatano ( prob wrong spelling, but you know what I mean) bridge and shared a taxi with two other people we met to the blue mosque. 10 euros per couple. Picked up a so called guide who touted himself outside and he skipped the 90 minute queue and gave us a tour for 10 euros per couple. Down side, he needed some deodorant, but hey, he got us in! Even the organised Thomson excursion had to endure the 90 minute queue! Kusadasi, well, not the nicest place I've ever been and the constant hassle from the shops drives you crazy, however, Pandora charms were good value! Formal night is on Thursday, not a sea day as is, in my experience, normal. Bear in mind, I don't do over priced and over hyped excursions, so I may not be the best person to ask.

Istanbul - you can get the tram from more or less outside port gates and it will drop you off opposite Blue Mosque, 4TL fare. In our opinion the Topaki Palace is well worth a visit, we were a little disappointed with Blue Mosque. You can walk but it is a good walk in the heat of the day, and you need maximum time in city itself. We did the Cistern second week - again a little disappointing - but hey been there got tee shirt.

Magic city - enjoy

Dunno what the line was but they were blue buses. The red and yellow ones were double the price. You get the free headphones as well for the commentary.

Thanks - there's nothing like a bit of "local knowledge" gleamed from a recce !!!

Down side, he needed some deodorant, but hey, he got us in!

sorry.......is that statement relevant??....slightly patronising imo..... many of the touts and vendors that we encounter at such sights are jobless or otherwise disadvantaged/vulnerable........perhaps if you had tipped him the cash that you saved on those cheap pandora charms he may have been able to afford to buy some decent toiletries......eventually (after many hard days touting) he could even afford to have constant hot running water in his house:rolleyes:

thanks for the rest of your review....glad you enjoyed it