Tips for 3 night cruise - any tricks for avoiding crowds?

Hi All,

Very excited we have just booked the 3 night cruise to nowhere from Sydney on the Voyager in January!

My sister and her family are coming with us on their first cruise. Can anyone who has done one of these short cruises offer any tips on how to get the best out of them? What are the must dos and what should we not worry about, we won't have time to do everything on a ship that big and I'm sure it will be very busy with everyone trying to to everything in such a short period of time.

It will have new dining venues so trying to work out which of those we can fit in. And we really want to go to Johnny Rockets as my kids loved it on the Mariner so not sure when would be best to try that, I don't suppose it is open on the first afternoon before we sail?

Are there any tricks for avoiding the crowds? I can imagine the line for the flowrider will be horrendous I think my son can stand in that while we sit by the pool!

My nieces will be 6 and 8 and I'm hoping they will love cruising as much as our family so I can drag them along on a few more! Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Penny

Forget flow rider on thAt trip unless you want to pay for lessons

Book specialty restaurants in advance

You won't do everything there just isn't enough time

Definitely get in for the ice show

Line up at least an hour early

Find a bar that suits you to drink and stay with it

Pub will be busy as will cafe promenade

Keep eye open for rock climbing times and get there first chance you can possibly first day

Get early for night shows

Buffet will be super busy in windjammer. Main dining is nicer

Restaurant for lunch once as they have the best salad bar

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. If you don't like crowds (and you have your own balcony), just before sailaway go to the nearest bar and buy some beers unopened (you may need to tip to get this) and ask for a bucket of ice to put them in. Send another person to the buffet to make up a cheese platter (think crackers, cheese, cold meats, fruit etc). Meet back on your balcony and enjoy. Leaving Sydney harbour is beautiful no matter what time of day.

2. Don't drink too much so your waste your very limited time lying in bed.

3. Hit the shops early if want souvenirs, they will be super busy the whole time.

4. If you know when you want to eat, pre-book your specialty dining and main dining room reservations for my time dining. :)

Hey PJOZ, i think we met on the Volendam a few years ago :)

Unfor these 3 day type cruises tend to be party type cruises so i dont think you can avoid the crowds. We did the Solstice one in Jan and did not enjoy it at all esp as Celebrity had the all inclusive drinks package so there was a lot of people taking advantage of that :rolleyes:

We found places to be relatively busy so i would get in with booking restaurants early. As for the pool, get in early as well as it was sooo busy all the time.

I guess as people have advised get in line early but be prepared to miss out on things given the short time frame and crowds. We as a family have decided that whilst these short cruises may be a good way to try out new ships, we would prefer to do longer cruises to truly enjoy all the ship has to offer :)

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Yes I remember we did meet on the Volendam SiD! A few cruises ago for both of us now! I am not sure about the 3 day cruise either but it was such a great deal and in the school holidays I thought it was worth a try. We are a bit backwards doing 3 days on this ship with all the stuff for the kids, then our next two week cruise three months later is on the Celebrity Century which will be the other extreme with just one pool and a ping pong table for the kids :eek: But we are hoping the ports and the food (I hope as good as it was on the Volendam!) will make up for the lack of bells and whistles on that one. We will finish in Dubai and catch up with friends there so looking forward to that.

I think I had better prepare my sister for the crowds it is just part of a short cruise from the sounds of it. We got a guarantee Junior Suite as the price was so good, but unfortunately we got our room and it is on Deck 6 which apparently will not have a great view but there will be room for us all to hang out together so that will be nice. We will get our drinks and do sailaway there or on their Deck 10 balcony so we have good options to have some quiet space.

I don't think my son will give up on the flowrider so easily dancinman but if he wants to spend half the day in a line that's up to him I guess.

I'll definitely try to remember your tip about not drinking too much Mum81 I will do my best! I agree I don't want to waste any time feeling ordinary so hopefully I won't get too carried away ;)

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I have only done one of these short cruises but you may find that travelling with a family will not be so bad.

The sail away advise above is great.

Then plan many activities for mornings. The ship was fairly quiet during the day time. Even dinner and the shows were fine.

Late night was ugly. So many parties. My sailing had bucks nights, Hen's nights, 21st's, 18th's, plumber 'conferences' etc.

But they all slept very late and were very quiet in the day time.

Enjoy.

I have one booked on the Solstice in Oct.

I'm a morning person, so won't see (and cross my fingers won't hear) the late night parties, and should hopefully see a quite ship while everyone else recovers in their rooms :D

Being a full ship, and only a few days to experience everything, I was expecting all the speciality restaurants to be booked out, so I pre booked them way in advance. The rest of the time I will spend being pampered in the Canyon Ranch day spa and Persian Garden :D

Then I'll come back to reality......:(