Wheelchair assistance

Gypsy2

Who would I need to contact at the New York port for a wheelchair to help my mom get on the ship?

she uses a walker now after a recent surgery and I do not feel she can walk from car as well as up the ramp.

There will be NCL staff available with wheelchairs to get people on and off the ships. You can drive up and drop off before you park, which would be a must in my opinion.

BUT, if your mother is a concern getting on the ship, I would think a wheelchair is going to be needed more than just this time. The Breakaway is huge, and if on the Gem, not a small ship either. :) You might want to consider renting a wheelchair.

Contact either your travel agent or NCL if you made your reservation directly with them and note that you will need a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation. They will have you wait in a special area and will take care of you throughout the boarding process. I agree too that you should rent a wheelchair for the cruise. NCL does not provide them. Contact Special Needs at Sea. Be sure to note your mother's size so that the chair is the correct dimensions. You will get a workout pushing it on the carpeted areas. A scooter is always my preference.

Contact either your travel agent or NCL if you made your reservation directly with them and note that you will need a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation. They will have you wait in a special area and will take care of you throughout the boarding process. I agree too that you should rent a wheelchair for the cruise. NCL does not provide them. Contact Special Needs at Sea. Be sure to note your mother's size so that the chair is the correct dimensions. You will get a workout pushing it on the carpeted areas. A scooter is always my preference.

This. I would definitely call ahead and not leave it to chance at the pier. I called the access desk last week and they were very helpful.

Thank You

The surgery was unexpected and we are hoping to still make the trip. I have insurance so I am not crazed over it. I know mom loves Bermuda and just thought of the trip keeps her spirits up.

Elaine

The scooter makes a real difference in how much you can enjoy the trip, and the independence it provides is the best part. They are very easy to use. You might want to see if they have a disabled cabin available that would really help.

This. I would definitely call ahead and not leave it to chance at the pier. I called the access desk last week and they were very helpful.

Yes, the access staff are very helpful. Give them a call:

"In order to make your cruise experience as enjoyable as possible and so that we can try to meet your specific needs, call 1-866-584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, send an email toaccessdesk@ncl.com*or have your travel agent contact us."

Who would I need to contact at the New York port for a wheelchair to help my mom get on the ship?

she uses a walker now after a recent surgery and I do not feel she can walk from car as well as up the ramp.

If you're flying into New York, you might want to consider renting a wheelchair at home and taking it with you. Your airline and the cruise line will both provide a wheelchair but it'd be less hassle to take your own. That would give you the chance to learn about using the wheelchair before you leave home. You would also be able to take the wheelchair with you in port.

If you have your own wheelchair at the airport, you could leave your wheelchair right at the plane door. The airline would (for free) load the wheelchair once you're onboard and have the wheelchair at the plane door when you arrive at your destination.

As stated above, a handicap cabin will give you more room since you will probably be required to "store" the wheelchair or scooter inside your cabin and not be able to leave it outside in the hallway. If you have a small cabin, you may not have room for a scooter. They're not huge but definitely larger than a folded wheelchair.

I've used a wheelchair for cruises when my daughter needed one and it worked perfectly for us -- it gave her the ability to do pretty much whatever she wanted without worrying about getting too tired.

if you are flying, make sure you let the airline know that you need assistance before you go....I needed a wheel chair when we flew to Ft Lauderdale last Dec they had a porter waiting for us at the ticket counter and also at each stop. it was great at the airport when we had to change planes, we would not have made the connection without it...the porter knew just were to go in Atlanta with all the trains and things...then when we got to Ft Lauderdale, we were in such a rush to make it to the ship because we had to rebook our flight because of the big ice storm in Dallas, so we didnt even have a shuttle booked because we were supposed to have landed in Miami on our orig. flight, so the porter litterly ran with us to get our luggage and we managed to get the last NCL shuttle at the airport...I know as long as we were on an NCL shuttle, the ship would wait, so I could finally breath for the first time in 2 days....it was so close, we got on the ship just in time for muster...:eek:

We have done this for my Dad in the past and our travel agent made the arrangements with NCL, but I can't tell you how she did it - just that there was always wheelchair assistance to get Dad onto the ship. Now we have our own transporter chair that we use for him, as he is no longer able to get around the ship very well on his own, and for sure cannot stand and walk long enough/far enough to get onto the ship on his own power. But he loves to cruise! :)

My best to your Mom in her recovery - have a GREAT cruise!

Hi! I took a cruise shortly after major surgery, and although I strenuously resisted, my husband rented me a scooter. In retrospect, I am so glad he did. Breakaway was soooo huge, and it was such a long walk to get anywhere. The first afternoon, I insisted I didnt need it and wasnt going to use it, and I just walked slowly, holding the railings. I had to take breaks and sit down every 100 yards or so, but I insisted I was fine. By dinnertime, I was completely exhausted. By the next morning, I was happily tooling around on my scooter. I generally hate to admit my husband is right, but..... he definitely was. It wasnt that expensive and it was waiting in the room upon arrival. Definitely worth it.

Terry