Vacation Protection from Carnival

jvparish

We are sailing Oct 4th out of Miami with my in laws. My husband and I got vacation insurance thru an outside company. My in laws are in their 80's and I thought it might be better/easier for them to purchase the insurance thru carnival. It is compariable to outside companies due to their age. Has anyone had any experience with the Carnival Insurance and would it be better to go with an outside company?

I would compare cost and coverage. CCL should have a copy of the policy on the website or that they can send you and you can compare many third party plans at www.insuremytrip.com. I have heard that CCL's plan does not take traveler age into account whereas a third party insurer will.

That is what I found out when comparing cost with regards to their age. The other companies were higher than Carnival. I was just wondering if it was easier to use on the ship if they needed to see a doctor or deal with the evactuation if needed. (God forbid they have to use it :( ) At their age carnival just seemed easier to deal with.

Check with carnival to see if they cover pre existing conditions. I have been told in the past that they don't. The outside companies will cover pre existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within a certain time period after you book the cruise. You can also add your flights to the outside insurance if you are flying. It's cheaper for us to buy via outside company but more expensive for my parents but they have more pre existing conditions..... So, I always buy outside.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple of things.

The insurance you bought through Carnival automatically includes Cancel For Any Reason

Second. Carnival doesn't manage the insurance. They only offer and sell it. I believe the coverage is actually thru Berkley.

Please note that all travel insurance ( the plan you purchased and the plan you in-laws purchased) are reimbursement only. In other words, You are expected to pay for all services up front with cash or credit card,, THEN, when you return, you file a claim to be reimbursed.

In some instances for major medical, the insurance company "May" provide a letter of ability to pay or forward some cash to begin treatment, but only on a limited basis.

If you miss a flight, you pay then file for reimbursement. Need medical care on the ship, you pay, then file for reimbursement. You need to be medevac'd off the ship,,, US Coast Guard does it for free.

I strongly suggest insuremytrip.com. I've used them for most of my international trips and have been happy with the cost and coverage. It does make a difference about the age of the passengers so I'm wary of plans that don't consider that in their coverage or pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums