Rome Excursion Train or Coach??

Colo Cruiser

Hi all,

this is a transfer only.......

for our Regal cruise next month we are doing Rome on our own and taking the Princess r/t transportation to St Peters Square from the port of Civitavecchia.

The coach is direct from the ship, and with the train you board a coach at the port for a short ride to the train station and the same on the return. The coach ride is 90 minutes and the train is 60 minutes.

Train excursion leaves from the pier at 8:10 and returns at 6:10pm and the coach leaves at 8:15 and returns at 5:15pm.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Have been to Rome a couple of times.

Trying to maximize touring time in the city.

Wondering if anyone has experienced either of these.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi all,

this is a transfer only.......

for our Regal cruise next month we are doing Rome on our own and taking the Princess r/t transportation to St Peters Square from the port of Civitavecchia.

The coach is direct from the ship, and with the train you board a coach at the port for a short ride to the train station and the same on the return. The coach ride is 90 minutes and the train is 60 minutes.

Train excursion leaves from the pier at 8:10 and returns at 6:10pm and the coach leaves at 8:15 and returns at 5:15pm.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Have been to Rome a couple of times.

Trying to maximize touring time in the city.

Wondering if anyone has experienced either of these.

Thanks in advance! :)

Only one way in my mind and that is the Princess train. Wonderful and relaxing by the time I got to Rome. I have also done the Coach and it is fine but still nothing like the train.

Princess has their own train?

Well, my Ph.D. isn't in math (not even close), but I vaguely remember how to solve a word problem. And this one has a missing variable: how long does it take to get between gangway and train seat? If it's longer than 30 minutes, take the coach. If it's about 30 minutes, then they're equal, in which case take whichever one dumps you off in Rome closer to where you want to spend time. St. Peter's isn't really in the thick of things, unless you're planning to spend time there.

Whatever you do, make sure to get a window. . . .

Princess has their own train?

Well, my Ph.D. isn't in math (not even close), but I vaguely remember how to solve a word problem. And this one has a missing variable: how long does it take to get between gangway and train seat? If it's longer than 30 minutes, take the coach. If it's about 30 minutes, then they're equal, in which case take whichever one dumps you off in Rome closer to where you want to spend time. St. Peter's isn't really in the thick of things, unless you're planning to spend time there.

Whatever you do, make sure to get a window. . . .

I know right! Sounds like one of those Larry drove 30 miles in 1 hour at blah blah blah. :eek:

25 minutes from gangway to train. They both end up in St Peters Square which seems to be the main meeting point, especially on the return.

Because of the change of transportation on the way I am leaning toward the coach. When I visited last Nov we took a coach. The only issue was traffic coming back was horrendous. Does not really matter though because its a Princess excursion.

We will be in St Peters Square but it will be in the afternoon for the Vatican.