Cunard changing QM2 cabin categories, yet again?

maina

Jimsgirl, a couple of points to make about your arithmetic.

First, when you say $350 per day, did that include single supplement or was that the per person rate? I assume the price quoted by CunardAddict was per person? We must compare like with like.

Second, you should have subtracted costs like flights and transfers first, before dividing by the two days. They come off the total cost, not the daily cost, or else you are taking off twice as much as you should.

Jimsgirl, a couple of points to make about your arithmetic.

First, when you say $350 per day, did that include single supplement or was that the per person rate? I assume the price quoted by CunardAddict was per person? We must compare like with like.

Second, you should have subtracted costs like flights and transfers first, before dividing by the two days. They come off the total cost, not the daily cost, or else you are taking off twice as much as you should.

My apologies if my maths were incorrect, senior moment, I did leave school in the spring l939.

Perhaps you will do the figures, remember that those quoted by Cunardaddict include 2 AIR FARES per person and 2 BUS FARES Heathrow to Southampton, even if you divide what is left by 2 to get the daily rate it is still a great deal less than my rate which was just for the cabin.

I have met others in the past that got great deals and it never bothered me, it was just a couple of people, but this time it was as I said 6,000 "cheapies" over 8 days , and I do not think any regular cruiser would be pleased with that situation, when it involved the events that took place .

It was so very obvious that the ambiance on board for the first 7 days Eastbound (regular cruisers) was very congenial , then came 8 days of bad behavior, once the last cheapies left and the passengers were once again regular Cunard cruisers, the ambiance was back to normal again, and it was a very pleasant 7 days westbound.

You just cannot mix "oil and water'.

It isn't always "a rose by any other name." One of the issues seems to be whether to rate obstructed balconies as higher or lower grade than sheltered. Obstructed started out as "better," then were changed to be the lowest/cheapest level of balcony. Cunard also experiments on where to break the long line of cabins into categories. I have two theories on this.

One is that there's somebody new in management who's making changes to show that he/she is doing something "useful."

The other is that they're chasing money. When obstructed balcony cabins got cheaper, they sold faster. Maybe it was people being conned by the price, as you suggest, maybe not. So someone at Cunard said, "Hey, these sell quickly. They must be desirable cabins, let's charge more." And their grade was raised, as were the prices. Then Obstructeds didn't sell as quickly. So someone at Cunard said, "Hmm, better downgrade these and sell them cheap."

It's simply the old law of 'supply and demand'... They are essentially letting the market determine what the correct pricing level should be for various cabin categories. They also probably use a modified airline 'yield management' model to determine what to charge, and when, based on some sales algorithm that utilizes historic booking history, coupled with any relevant current events...

It's simply the old law of 'supply and demand'... They are essentially letting the market determine what the correct pricing level should be for various cabin categories. They also probably use a modified airline 'yield management' model to determine what to charge, and when, based on some sales algorithm that utilizes historic booking history, coupled with any relevant current events...

Or perhaps they just have a dart board... Let's decide what to include in the highest Britannia Balcony Cabin. Ok that dart hit deck 8 midship. so let's say that's just like the balconies on Deck 11, and we'll call that category BA. We'll do that for a few months, and then put deck 8 midship balconies in BB Category. Wow, this is a fun game, passengers and travel agents must love it!

I don't know what kind of data Cunard is using to classify and re-classify cabins. But I don't think they have much experience of being on board.

Or perhaps they just have a dart board... Let's decide what to include in the highest Britannia Balcony Cabin. Ok that dart hit deck 8 midship. so let's say that's just like the balconies on Deck 11, and we'll call that category BA. We'll do that for a few months, and then put deck 8 midship balconies in BB Category. Wow, this is a fun game, passengers and travel agents must love it!

I don't know what kind of data Cunard is using to classify and re-classify cabins. But I don't think they have much experience of being on board.[/QUOTE]

I agree. And I don't think it's just Cunard. If you read on some of the other boards, you'll likely get the impression that Shoreside people stay ashore. Your description of the decision-making process is probably the closest to the truth yet. :eek:

I don't know what kind of data Cunard is using to classify and re-classify cabins. But I don't think they have much experience of being on board.[/QUOTE]

I agree. And I don't think it's just Cunard. If you read on some of the other boards, you'll likely get the impression that Shoreside people stay ashore. Your description of the decision-making process is probably the closest to the truth yet. :eek:

It's the same with hotels. I wish a manager and his family would regularly stay in their and some other hotels.