Overwhelmed. Port Canaveral!

BlancaNoir

Please help! We are cruising on the Disney Fanatsy in October 2014. We have never been to Florida and probably won't anytime soon (we live on the west coast.) I'm overwhelmed. Where to stay, and what to do for a once in a life time visit?

I'ce been looking at the CC boards and advice and it looks like the Raddison is a nice place? We don't need anything too fancy. I prefer not to pay more than 250/night for my family of 4. My kids are 10 and 8 and they love pools and beaches. Advice?

We can't decide whether to spend a day or two in florida but I think that if we aren't coming back anytime soon, maybe we should add a few days? The kennedy space center looks good . . . what do you all think?

If you were looking at a once-in-a-lifetime cruise departure from Pt. Canaveral, where would you stay and what would you do (for a family of 4!).

(Btw, we live in a west coast beach town. We love the beach but can go any day. But maybe Florida beaches are different??)

Seriously, please help.

We have not stayed there yet but have reservations at the Residence Inn. We booked a suite that has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms plus a living room for $179. We are going on the Disney Dream Oct 10th. Also there is a complimentary breakfast.

Oh, the beaches in Florida are very different . . . the water is warm, for one.

Cruised out of Port Canaveral last December and spent 3 nights pre-cruise at the Hampton Inn, Cocoa Beach. Great hotel, ok pool, all rooms face the ocean, but you have a short walk via a path from the hotel to the beach. Free hot breakfast downstairs in the morning and they do have coin operated laundry facilities.

There's plenty to do in the area to keep you busy and a day at the Space Center shouldn't be missed. They have some different tours available and I'll bet they have plenty to do geared toward the youngest 2 in your family.

Have a great cruise!:)

I would definitely take a few extra days in Cocoa Beach area. There is a lot to see and do. Go to the Cocoa Beach pier, go to Ron Jon Surf Shop, go to the Kennedy Space Center...the options are endless.

As far as hotels go I would stay at the Radisson Resort at the Port.....the pool is amazing. Your kids will love the pool

Another vote for Hampton Inn (by Hilton), the laundry & hot breakfast tip the scale for us, second is Radisson. You can walk the beach for miles. The Space Center is wonderful for all ages. The kids will enjoy Ron Jon (& it's open 24 hours which helps when you're jet lagged. There's also a souvenir (really inexpensive) shop across A1A that has sand toys, beach stuff. Sunset Grill on Banana River on Merritt Island Parkway/A1A is great (especially at Sunset...). Have a great time, I'd spend a couple of days, lots to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

Az girl here but grew up near Orlando. Kennedy space center is a must. Other things depending on budget - discovery cove has been one of our favorite fam thing to date but expensive. Beaches are way better than west coast IMO so worth an extra day. Although if you have beach day on cruise I would pass unless you want the healer option. Obviously, there is wdw - no way would we go to Orlando and not spend a couple of days there. Way different than dL in cal. So hard to choose

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailed out of Port Canveral on three Disney cruises and three Carnival cruises. Our daughter is now 17 but we stated when she was 8. We fly into Orlando and use Cocoa Beach Shuttle to and from airport to hotel and from port. We stay at the Hampton Inn pre cruise and like the location. Very nice people there. Clean and breakfast is adequate. Definitely build in a day to go to Kennedy Space Center. Plus

You can walk ( a hike but a pretty one to the cocoa beach pier) . Very nice beach. Our last cruise out of Port Canaveral was this Easter and we enjoyed the surf fest on the beach!

Have fun!

Oh, the beaches in Florida are very different . . . the water is warm, for one.

Cruised out of Port Canaveral last December and spent 3 nights pre-cruise at the Hampton Inn, Cocoa Beach. Great hotel, ok pool, all rooms face the ocean, but you have a short walk via a path from the hotel to the beach. Free hot breakfast downstairs in the morning and they do have coin operated laundry facilities.

There's plenty to do in the area to keep you busy and a day at the Space Center shouldn't be missed. They have some different tours available and I'll bet they have plenty to do geared toward the youngest 2 in your family.

Have a great cruise!:)

I second the Hampton Inn. While the Radisson had a nice pool, it isn't on the beach. Go to KSC!!! The Atlantis exhibit is awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk