Guides for Munich and Berlin and which concentration camp

Len,

I completely agree. I don't think I will ever forget what I saw at Dachau and Auschwitz.

When I talk with some young people, I am amazed at how little history they seem to know.

This is one part of history that the World must not forget.

EXACTLY.

Not to hijack this topic, but my DW works for the NYC school system, with elementary age kids. They do not even bother to teach them American history, let alone world history.

Cheers

Len

EXACTLY.

Not to hijack this topic, but my DW works for the NYC school system, with elementary age kids. They do not even bother to teach them American history, let alone world history.

Cheers

Len

As a Swiss I have no idea what age elemntary kids have in the US, but as I can remember my youth that our history lesson in school started from an age of 10 !

• 3 years later...

I guess each American school district has it’s own schedule, but our daughters were taught in North Florida and our granddaughter being taught in Arizona had American and world history taught reltiveiy early in Elementary. My wife taught Elementary and history was a subject.

Can’t talk on other schools what they teach, but my experience differs from the earlier posts. And by the way, kids may appear to not know history, but I’ve been surprised at adults, even one my age who thinks the Canadians burn the WH down in 1812. wow.

We are heading to Munich next May and plan to stay 4 days or so. Adding Dachau and looking for hotels and day tours. Advice accepted!

Den

We are heading to Munich next May and plan to stay 4 days or so. Adding Dachau and looking for hotels and day tours. Advice accepted!

Den

Are you planning on renting a car or doing hired trips??

You are in the area of Salzburg so going to the Archbishop's palace and the trick fountains was really enjoyable. Also the salt mine tours (there are 2 different ones, one with the little train ride and one where you dress up in old fashioned miners gear). Plus the Mozart house and other attractions in the city.

Are you into palaces??

Neuschwanstein, Herrenchiemsee and Hohenschwagau are all in that area. Oberamagau is also a nice stop for a few minutes kaffee break.

Rothenberg ab der Taube is a wonderful little walled medieval city, worth a visit.

Nuremburg is also interesting, I've only spent a few hours there once so I am not too familiar with all it has to offer....I remember buying honig-kuchen (a type of gingerbread) from Schimtt's.

Just a few ideas -- good luck with your planning and have fun!!