Disney vs Royal Caribbean - TIPPING DIFFERENCES?

DoomsdayFAN

I've been reading through as many tipping threads as I can find, but I am still unsure about the way things work... :)

Does Disney do the auto-gratuities thing like Royal Caribbean? How does tipping work in general on Disney and how does it differ from Royal Caribbean? I've read you can pre-pay tips and stuff, but I'm not a fan of pre-paying or auto-tipping. I like to tip in person with cash. And that's it. Is that possible?

I do enjoy tipping and I tip well. I just have my way of doing things and don't want to do it the way they have it set up. So is it possible for me to not do the auto-gratuities, not pre-pay tips, and not do anything outside of me myself tipping in person, on the spot, with cash, day to day?

:confused:

(It's so much more rewarding to thank the person you are tipping in person. :p)

And if I can do it the way I want, how will that work with the sit-down dinners? Will I be able to tip them the same way I would tip any other waiter on the mainland? And obviously I can just hand the room service person a tip when they come.

I hope I can do it my way. :o

Tipping on DCL is totally up to you and how you want to do it.

First, there is no need to pre-pay tips. You CAN if you just want to get it out of the way, but no need at all. Since you said you don't want to, I won't address this.

IF you do nothing, there will be a charge of $12 per guest per night of cruise added to your on board account. SO, on a 7 night cruise, the tips are 1 guest X $12 X 7 nights = $84.

YOU can go to guest services at any time during the cruise and ask to have the auto tip removed. You will still get tip envelopes in your room and you will place cash in them. If you would rather charge the tips but just adjust the amount any way you please, you can do this as well. In that case, you will get a coupon showing the amount you tipped and the name of the person.

You place either the coupon or the cash in the tip envelopes which will be left in your cabin on the last full day. At dinner on the last night, you hand the envelopes to the appropriate persons. There are 4 tipped positions--head server (the supervisor who checks on things), server (they person who handles your food orders), assistant server (person who does beverages), and room host. The $84 is a total that covers all of these.

Frankly, day to day tipping will be a pain for you as well as for the server and assistant. Certainly they will accept your tip, but it will confuse them a bit. It is NOT traditional to tip your breakfast or lunch servers; while your assigned team will likely not be serving you at those meals, they are elsewhere on the ship serving other guests. The tip you give to your assigned team is considered to represent the tip for all the meal service you received during the cruise. Certainly if a breakfast or lunch server is exceptional, you can tip him/her at the time...but don't cut down on what you would give your dinner team if you do this. You will have the same dinner team each night, and the tradition is to tip them on the last night for all the service received during the voyage.

It is not like Celebrity where the auto gratuity is paid and magically distributed. Even if you use the auto gratuity system, you get the coupon to put in the envelope and hand to the person.

You CAN do it your way...but that might not be the easiest way for you or for the servers.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you for your response. That's very interesting. I had no idea.

Just so I'm not confusing anything... I take it as far as the meal servers go, I can just wait to tip them until the final day and put everything in each of their envelops?

(Do tip envelops come every single day to our room? Or just at the end/last day?)

If so, that actually sounds a heck of a lot easier. Just wait until the final full day and hand out tip envelops. I guess that would beat doing it day by day.

But yeah, I'm pretty much a newb on this stuff so I have no idea what's what. I just didn't like the sound of the cruise deciding where my tips go, or the pre-tip thing. I want to make sure the people who earned it get it, directly from me.

And also, if it is possible to wait until the end to hand out tips for the entire cruise, that sounds great. I just hope that if I do it that way, the servers wont get upset with me thinking I'm trying to stiff them for the first 5-6 days of the voyage.

The envelopes will come to your room only once during your cruise--usually mid morning on the second to last day. Tradition is to tip only once during the cruise and that is on the last night. No one will think you are stiffing them if you don't leave cash around before that. In fact, they will find it odd if you do.

On DCL, even if you do charge your tips they DO go to the person who served you. There is no sharing of tips in the main dining rooms or room host staff, and DCL does not deduct any sort of handling charge. If you charge, the individual gets exactly what you indicated on your charge slip (or the standard if you did nothing).

There are a couple exceptions--all my previous comments have related to the 4 main tipped positions. If you go to one of the adult dining venues, there is a line on the ticket to add the tip. DCL lists the tip as "your discretion," but a tip is expected.

If you purchase ANY bar item (alcohol, bottled water, soda in cans, specialty coffee or tea), there is a 15% mandatory gratuity included. THIS tip is pooled and divided among all bar workers. There is also a line for "additional tip." If you add an additional, it goes to the person who actually served you. BUT remember if you add more that you have already tipped 15%.

Room service--it is common to give a small cash tip or place a tip on the slip you will be given, There is no charge for room service unless you order an item that is charged anywhere on the ship (like pre-packaged candy, alcohol, etc.)

And just to be clear--soda from the beverage station or restaurants (fountain service), normal coffee and tea have no charge. It is only soda in CANS, and starbucks type coffees/teas that have a charge....as do smoothies, virgin drinks prepared by a bar tender, etc. There are very few charged items, but it is important to know what they are.

I always leave the tips in place and add a little more for good service.

Does anyone know if the cast members are questioned if the automatic tips are removed? As I understand it, on Holland America they are questioned why passengers would have removed the automatic tips.

soccer

I always leave the tips in place and add a little more for good service.

Does anyone know if the cast members are questioned if the automatic tips are removed? As I understand it, on Holland America they are questioned why passengers would have removed the automatic tips.

soccer

My understanding is that they are not. BUT this info comes from one CM only. I have been questioned when I went to GS--both positive and negative.

In one case our server was a dud. He did next to nothing and was not at all helpful. Fortunately the assistant more than made up for him (and was a server the next time we saw her!). I went to GS and "switched" the tips, giving him the assistant amount and giving her the server amount plus a bit. GS did ask me if there was a problem, and I told them what I posted here.

Another time, I went to increase our server's tip significantly and other people a bit. Again, the GS person commented that I must have really liked our server. (It wasn't THAT big an increase, and he was wonderful).

It was honestly a little awkward to have GS commenting on what I was doing, but it was the right thing in my mind.

I just add anything extra in the envelopes provided in cash. I have never removed or changed any at guest services desk.

soccer

Again, to each his own. I charge my tips because I get a small cash back on my credit card and because my favorite server told me that charged tips are easier for him. He is supporting a family at home, and says that he always gets enough cash for his limited needs on the ship. The rest, he sends home.

If you charge the tips, be sure that the charge coupon has the correct name on it. If not, go to GS and ask that it be corrected.

YOU can go to guest services at any time during the cruise and ask to have the auto tip removed.

So just so I'm crystal clear' date=' you can go to guest services at [i']any[/i] time, even the last day of the cruise, and request to be taken off the auto-tip thing?

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that on Royal Caribbean, if you're going to opt out, you need to do it before the start of the cruise while checking in.

And the reason I want to make sure about exactly when tips can be removed is because I've heard horror stories about guests who removed their auto tip at the beginning and then received poor service the rest of the trip. So it sounds to me like waiting until the 6th day to do it would be a good choice. (Even if the horror stories are rare, I'd still prefer to wait until the last day to cancel it)

Again, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna tip, it just means I'm not into the auto-thing.

Anyway, so I'm leaning toward a Disney cruise right now 60/40. So if I end up on the Fantasy, I hope to be able to wait until the 6th day and then remove the auto-tip. Hopefully the accumulated auto tips up to that point will be washed away. And hopefully guest services wont give me any trouble about it.

I'd prefer to just leave it all in cash on the way out. :)

- One other question.... at the end of the cruise, at what point to do you have to pay your onboard bill? Before you leave the boat? Or is it something you get in the mail 2-4 weeks later? Is it something you can make payments on or is it something that must be paid in full when the time comes?

I assume everything in this onboard bill relates to excursions and stuff purchased or ordered onboard that cost extra?

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

So just so I'm crystal clear, you can go to guest services at any time, even the last day of the cruise, and request to be taken off the auto-tip thing? I believe if you want to remove/make adjustments to your tips you need to do it by the day that they would be putting the envelopes/coupons in your room (second to last night).

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that on Royal Caribbean, if you're going to opt out, you need to do it before the start of the cruise while checking in.

And the reason I want to make sure about exactly when tips can be removed is because I've heard horror stories about guests who removed their auto tip at the beginning and then received poor service the rest of the trip. So it sounds to me like waiting until the 6th day to do it would be a good choice. (Even if the horror stories are rare, I'd still prefer to wait until the last day to cancel it) There's really no issue with this. As tips onboard DCL are entirely at your discretion (unlike some other cruise lines), you can remove them as soon as you board, if you wish. The intended recipients of said tips, have no way of knowing whether you're tipping them or not until the cruise is over, as tipping is done at the end of the cruise. People do remove the tips, just so they can tip directly in cash, and the servers/room hosts have no way of knowing whether you're going to tip them via the direct payment (onboard account) or by cash on the last day.

Again, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna tip, it just means I'm not into the auto-thing.

Anyway, so I'm leaning toward a Disney cruise right now 60/40. So if I end up on the Fantasy, I hope to be able to wait until the 6th day and then remove the auto-tip. Hopefully the accumulated auto tips up to that point will be washed away. And hopefully guest services wont give me any trouble about it.There will be no issues at Guest Services, as the tips are entirely up to you.

I'd prefer to just leave it all in cash on the way out. :)

- One other question.... at the end of the cruise, at what point to do you have to pay your onboard bill? Before you leave the boat? Or is it something you get in the mail 2-4 weeks later? Is it something you can make payments on or is it something that must be paid in full when the time comes? If you are using a credit card to back your onboard account, it will be charged whenever you reach the maximum that DCL will carry before charging (I think it's something like $300/$500, depending on length of cruise). If you are backing up you account with cash, you will put a set amount down on your account at the beginning of the trip. When you get close to using it up, they will notify you to come down and add more. The onboard account will be settled the last day. If you are using cash, you will have to settle up before leaving the ship. If you are using a credit card, it will appear on your bill.

I assume everything in this onboard bill relates to excursions and stuff purchased or ordered onboard that cost extra?Photographs, bar tabs, excursions, tasting/mixology classes, nursery hours (if you use them), spa, purchase in the gift shops, anything that's charged to your KTTW card will go directly to your onboard account.

My responses in red.

Edited by Shmoo here

You can alter you tips on the last full day or any time before that. If you do it after the tip coupons have been issued, you take the old coupons with you to GS. They will replace them with new coupons (if altering the amount) or remove the coupons from your account (if paying tips in cash). There is NO requirement that any alterations be done before the coupons are issued.

On DCL, the CMs have no idea whether you are paying the standard tips, have opted out, or have doubled your tips. They don;t know until they get their tip envelopes from you on the last night. I know this is not the case on some other lines.

There are no accumulated auto tips to "wash away." On DCL, there is a single charge for the tips for each guest--it is not a daily charge the way it is on some other lines.

As above, your onboard account must be paid in full before you disembark. If you placed a credit card on the account, you are free to go (you'll get a receipt slipped under your door on the final morning for you to verify all charges). If you placed a cash deposit on your account, you'll need to go to GS to settle any balance or receive any refund due.

Perhaps it would be easier to focus on how DCL handles the tips rather than looking at how it is the same or different than some other line. Disney is easy and the guest is totally in control.

Edited by moki'smommy

If you are using a credit card to back your onboard account, it will be charged whenever you reach the maximum that DCL will carry before charging (I think it's something like $300/$500, depending on length of cruise). If you are backing up you account with cash, you will put a set amount down on your account at the beginning of the trip. When you get close to using it up, they will notify you to come down and add more. The onboard account will be settled the last day. If you are using cash, you will have to settle up before leaving the ship. If you are using a credit card, it will appear on your bill.

Photographs, bar tabs, excursions, tasting/mixology classes, nursery hours (if you use them), spa, purchase in the gift shops, anything that's charged to your KTTW card will go directly to your onboard account.

Photographs - I'll be taking plenty of those myself. Probably wont use theirs.

Bar Tap - Nope

Tasting/Mixology - Nope

Nursery - Nope

Spa - Get enough of that at home.

Gift Shop - Probably

Shore Excursions - Probably

So say I back the onboard account with cash, say I put down like $300 or something. What if at the end of it all, I get away with only using like $190? Do they refund the rest?

Being a Disney vet in terms of the theme parks, we're pretty good at spending our money wisely.

Do they show you any sort of proof that upon your request, they've turned off the auto-tipping? I'm afraid I'm a bit leery when dealing with people's word. Have been screwed over enough times by different companies promising or advertising something and then not following through. Don't want to repeat that here. What a way to end a nice vacation that would be.

- More on the envelops... at what point exactly are those handed out? Back at the mess hall on the second to last day? Or as you are walking off the ship, do they stand in line by the exit?

And I'm a bit curious about tipping the room service people... are envelops left for them too? Or do they pretty much just go off what you give them per time they come to your room to bring you something?

EDIT: Just read the post directly above me. That answers some of my questions too. lol, it's all just a little confusing at this point. By the time the trip eventually does roll around, I'll probably be an expert. Nothing like starting research early. :p

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

If you place more money on your account than you spend, it will be refunded to you before you get off the ship in cash. You will have to stand in line at GS to get it back, or go a day early and don't spend anything on the last day.

As to seeing that the auto gratuity was "turned off," you will get a full account of every penny spent on the ship slid under your door early on the last morning. If you have any dispute with what you see, you go to GS.

The tip envelopes are handed out on the last evening of the cruise. This will be in your assigned dining room for you dinner team. For your stateroom host, if you see him in the hall on your way to dinner, give it to him in person. If not, leave it on the bed. He'll get it from there. If you are not eating in the dining room on the last night, it is polite to stop by and give them the envelopes, especially if you are giving cash.

Room service is tipped at the time they deliver your stuff. There is no "later" as you probably won't get the same person the next time! Bring along some $1s for this purpose.

As far as when the time comes to hand out the envelops to your servers, is there someone that will make an announcement or something on the second to last day that "now is the time to hand out envelops" or something? I don't want to sit there awkwardly wondering when the right time is.

And by "second to last day" (tip handouts) is this on the night before disembarkment? So you go to dinner for the final time and hand out tips then?

As for the envelops for the stateroom host, can you leave this for him/her on the morning of disembarkment? Or is that not common (better to leave it the night before)? (What I do at DL & WDW is on the day that I leave, the last thing I do before I leave the room for the final time is leave a tip on the bed. Not the day before)

I also noticed that you said it's not traditional to tip the breakfast and lunch servers. Why is that?

Edited by DoomsdayFAN

As far as when the time comes to hand out the envelops to your servers, is there someone that will make an announcement or something on the second to last day that "now is the time to hand out envelops" or something? I don't want to sit there awkwardly wondering when the right time is.

And by "second to last day" (tip handouts) is this on the night before disembarkment? So you go to dinner for the final time and hand out tips then?

As for the envelops for the stateroom host, can you leave this for him/her on the morning of disembarkment? Or is that not common (better to leave it the night before)? (What I do at DL & WDW is on the day that I leave, the last thing I do before I leave the room for the final time is leave a tip on the bed. Not the day before)

I also noticed that you said it's not traditional to tip the breakfast and lunch servers. Why is that?

No announcement is made. You receive your envelopes and the next time you see your servers, you hand them out. Breakfast on the last morning (debarkation) is generally too busy and you run the risk of not seeing your server (if they are getting off the ship, they won't be serving at your breakfast because they will already be at customs).

Ditto for the room attendant - give it the night before you leave. The last morning they are really working hard to change beds, clean etc, to get ready for the next cruise. The night before you leave, they are just turning down the bed so no issues if you leave the envelope on the foot of the bed (it's where we've left it when we haven't seen our steward in person).

The MDR servers are the same ones who serve at breakfast and lunch (just generally not serving you but other guests). If everyone tips their dining room servers then everyone gets tipped for all of the work they do.

You'll have different breakfast and lunch servers each day and your dinner servers will be serving lunch somewhere to other guests. The tip that you give at dinner represents all service received.

No, no announcement is made--when you see your servers at dinner, you hand them the envelope. Trust me,they'l make a point of seeing you.