MSC Magnifica picture heavy fun review -- 12 days British Isles incl. DIY port trips

Kreuzfahrtneuling

Seattle's Best is an actual coffee brand, and not just on RCI. They used to be competitors to Starbucks until Starbucks bought them! People are pretty passionate around here about one or the other! __________________

Denise

Really? I didn't know that, thanks for telling me! Mhhh, we didn't think the coffee was too great on two RCI ships...so maybe it's an issue on how they prepare it... I mean, if it tastes divine otherwise...something went seriously wrong here. Bummer...imagine you buy a good brand for your fleet (probably for a lot of money) and then the result is sort of mediocre....what a drag.

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling
didn't manage the quote to work out -- hence the colour

About water temperature, 22ºC is the sea water temperature in Mallorca in June as well, so if it's sunny it's not that bad, I'll have it a go. Right now water temperature is 27ºC, which is just like taking a bath, but this September it's being very hot, even more than peak summer.

My problem is that if it's sunny outside I really want to swim too early in the season, and then I get colds :o

Great review! We just got off the Magnifica doing a slightly different itinerary. Got back on Sept 10th. I was very skeptical as an American passenger with so few reviews. Plus the reviews weren't very favorable. We went into the trip with low expectations and I have to honestly say that MSC far exceeded any expectations we had. Would I like to change things? Sure, but then I do on most cruises I have taken :). The food was far better than I anticipated and the itinerary was what sold us on this trip. Would I do another MSC? IF the itinerary was right, absolutely. Can't wait to read the rest of your review!

Patti

Cabin continued (part two of three)

Since we didn’t have airline weight restrictions and brought a whole lot of warm clothes along, storage space was an issue.

15059163857_6d16636c49_b.jpg

This closet was okay space-wise as soon as you dumped the life-vests. (We just shoved them under the bed). There were plenty of hangers. They were all attached to the hanging-rail in a way, that you could lift the lower part of the hanger out of a little notch thingy and the rest remained hanging inside…sorry, don’t know if there’s a name for those.

15059182578_8ed8a96cba_b.jpg

Then you had 6 of these drawers…we filled them to the max. The additional shelf above the safe was also used up completely. Oh, by the way, Tanja who is in charge of the safe on every vacation, said the safe was nice and easy to handle.

15222746636_7094fe5aba_b.jpg

Two more tiny additional drawers here, but in the one on the right, there is hardly any space because of the hairdryer.

We still didn’t have enough space to store all our clothes…so we used up the three drawers to the left and right of the bed for shirts as well.

We stuffed the tennis rackets behind the TV and I built a pile of books on my bedshelf (since the drawers were already filled with clothes – remember?).

The shoes either had a home underneath the bed or down in the bottom of the closet. The suitcases fit under the beds – well, for Tanja’s monstrosity we had to lift it up to make it fit…but then all was good. Moving into the cabin accomplished!

15222695916_0706033644_b.jpg

Which brings me to the next topic – the bed!

As this is an Italian cruiseline, they have the bedding that is common in that part of the world – meaning a linen sheet covered with a woolen blanket. During daytime this is covered by a bedspread. We were used to this from vacations in Spain, Malta and Greece, so we were neither surprised nor negative about it. Sure, if you’d ask me which I prefer – an eiderdown duvet or a blanket … I’d always go for the duvet…but this was just fine as well. You had to fiddle around with the airconditioning, so you wouldn’t be too cold at night with this very light bedding, but as soon as the perfect temperature was found, we slept great.

Well –with one restriction.

The pillows…the infamous lumpy pillows.

Before the cruise I thought: How bad can they be? They’re pillows for heaven’s sake…I’ve slept on rolled up pullovers while camping and did fine…so surely these wouldn’t cause me any stress…..

Wrong!

I couldn’t get used to these pillows. I slept, yes…but I also got cramps in my neck (which I
never
do otherwise) – and I
HATE
cramps. If I ever cruise with MSC again (which I most definitely intend to) I will bring my own pillow! But this is a personal experience – both Tanja and Tarik didn’t have a problem with the pillows at all. So maybe I’m just being a sissy. So be it – I still insist on my own pillow for future MSC cruises.

15059153657_43fce2f2a5_b.jpg

pillows from hell.

The bedspread for the day was a little worn down…I wouldn’t call it filthy, but it had it’s downsides.

15242621041_b4c3443c07_b.jpg

I wonder what caused this? Cigarettes inside the cabin? Scary thought.

Stay tuned!

Stef

My problem is that if it's sunny outside I really want to swim too early in the season, and then I get colds :o

Hi Elmartellama,

I've seen the beautiful pics of your local swimming spots in your Fantasia review! If I'd live in a place with such beautiful coves, there's no way I could wait to jump in either:). Have you snorkeled there too? Mallorca is definitely on our bucket list. Especially the north looks stunning. As long as we steer clear of the "Oberbayern" and places like that I think we'll love it.

Stef

Great review! We just got off the Magnifica doing a slightly different itinerary. Got back on Sept 10th. I was very skeptical as an American passenger with so few reviews. Plus the reviews weren't very favorable. We went into the trip with low expectations and I have to honestly say that MSC far exceeded any expectations we had. Would I like to change things? Sure, but then I do on most cruises I have taken :). The food was far better than I anticipated and the itinerary was what sold us on this trip. Would I do another MSC? IF the itinerary was right, absolutely. Can't wait to read the rest of your review!

Patti

Hi Basebare,

Welcome to the review! Glad you liked the cruise and my review! We definitely chose this cruise for the itinerary as well, aehm - and of course the convenient embarkation port - and the low price:D. I'm already excited to tell you about our port visits, since that for me is the pinnacle of each cruise experience. Sigh, but still there's lots of ship stuff that needs to be covered first. Hang in there.

Stef

Cabin continued (part three of three)

Restroom

The cabin’s restroom was clean, light and not even the dreaded shower curtain bothered me in the least. I had read many below negative reports on the Magnifica restrooms, so I was very relieved
NOT
to find old diarrhea stains on the walls beside the toilet or bad cases of mildew in the shower.

It was completely clean!

Our wonderful house elf brought us fresh towels at least 3 times each day. There was always enough toilet paper and they had a built in soap dispenser at the sink, which was never empty when we used it. Lol – I also liked that they had the same brand of faucet than we do at home :-).

Shampoo and showergel were found in the shower – we never used it though, so I can’t tell you about scent and or quality. Although they had a shower curtain (a very clean white one), we thought the shower worked wonderfully. The water pressure was really impressive and you could see through the little glass wall at the side (lol – all the way to the bed if you didn’t close the door) so there was never the feeling of being locked up behind the curtain).

The storage space was delightful, since you not only had those glass shelves to the left, but also the cubboards underneath the sink to store stuff. We only used the glass shelves and were fine.

The door had four hooks for clothes and or towels and there was one of those nifty strings to pull through the shower compartment to hang up dripping swimming gear.

The only thing about the restroom, which was (slightly) annoying, was that the door opened up to knock down anybody who happened to stand next to the closet. So we always had to shout out warnings before we opened that door.

Okay – and now here are the pictures:

15068468647_18f4e4885e_b.jpg

15255011325_dce375322e_b.jpg

15068267109_7c4e5ba6f9_b.jpg

15068258779_fb05daa2d9_b.jpg

15068281499_a8f0d6dbec_b.jpg

Lol – I just like this last picture, since I managed to get me in there involuntarily
three
times:D.

So – altogether our thoughts on our cabin:

The size could be a tiny bit bigger

Cleanliness superb

Pillows are a no go (if you’re a sissy like me)

Noise level super quiet – a big plus!

Storage space for two people okay – three or more is difficult if you travel somewhere cold for more than 7 days.

A channel showing a permanent outside (daylight) picture on TV is missing

Orientation in regard to the current ship location should be improved

Water pressure the best I’ve experienced so far

If you have any questions about the cabin…be my guest! Ask away!

Stay tuned!

Stef

How curious, the closest on the MSC Fantasia for an inside cabin has an additional set. It's 4 pieces instead of 3! I guess they corrected that on their newer ships.

The bathroom is identical.

---------

Yes, Mallorca has nice and tempting places to enjoy. I never do snorkel, don't ask me why :confused: I did that when I was a kid. But there are many places to do that. If you are a professional, there are many amazing submarine coves to explore, but that's too risky for me.

I had never heard of Oberbayern, I see on google it's a bar for Germans. Well, don't let that deter you, Mallorca has 550 kms of coastline. You have the 1 km occupied by drunk British and the other 1Km occupied by drunk Germans. But the other 548 Km are just fine!

We locals just ignore those places, if you think about it's far worse having dangerous neighbourhoods like many cities have. Also, some of those areas are not that bad, Magalluf (british) is famous in the UK but the whole problem is just focused a 500 meters street. I would just close down the whole place if you asked me, it's quite embarrassing. Never been there though. S'Arenal (germans) it's not that bad, even if I never go there, this year they have prohibited drinking at the beach, there's much more police etc. Also they have updated many hotels and even building new 5* hotels, there's the aquarium and other attractions.

My advice is Alcudia bay, or some nice resort on the east of the island.

Now I am confused. According to the MSC web page it's also a 3 pieces closet

Inside_530x280_tcm24-30543.jpg

Yet I recall one piece with many shelves different than the one in your picture, then the one with the safe, and two for hanging clothes and space for shoes at the bottom

:confused: Maybe they have different kind of rooms, but we had the least expensive one anyway.

Edit: my partner also believes it was a 4 pieces closet. I guess I'll have to read cruisetrail review after all! :D

Editing again, thakns to Cruisetrail review you can see a 4 pieces closet. Never say never! ^_^

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43719722&postcount=12

Edited by Elmartellama

Hf,Stef,

loving the photo's of the ship.It's great to be able to tour the ship before I get on,taking notes about the best places to get a nice cocktail etc.

We booked this cruise as a cheap break before winter sets in.We booked 2 inside cabins.Well-today we had confirmation e-mail from MSC that myself and my sister have an outside cabin on deck 5 right by reception ,and my parents have a balcony cabin on deck 9. We are well pleased.Together with the cabin upgrade,drink packages and free parking I think we have a bargain.:D

Stef-a bit worried about the pillows,I HATE lumpy pillows!! I know I will not be able to sleep on them.I will be asking my room attendant for extra ones ,or maybe I will try to bring one from home in my suitcase.lol. Also that blanket with a hole in it :( mmm, I think I would be asking for a replacement also.Other than that....still excited.

Di

Hi Stef,

Really enjoying your review.

We just got off the Magnifica today. When we went to look at the 4D cinema we noticed they had tennis rackets, balls & basketballs to hire at a little desk there. There was a price list so I thought you had to pay, but when we asked the lady said those were what you had to pay if you didn't return the balls.

Thanks, Michelle:)

:(hi everybody -- just a quick note:

:(Today just sucks...no time to post ...emergency-care animals dying left and right. Sigh, can I get out of bed and start all over again? Oh wait -- I wasn't even in bed because of those ungrateful critters (I'm just kidding of course -- just a little frustrated)....looked like they were improving...and then they just take a deep breath and give up ??? Aaaarrgghhhh!!!!!!!

:(I'll try to be back tomorrow.

Stef

:(hi everybody -- just a quick note:

:(Today just sucks...no time to post ...emergency-care animals dying left and right. Sigh, can I get out of bed and start all over again? Oh wait -- I wasn't even in bed because of those ungrateful critters (I'm just kidding of course -- just a little frustrated)....looked like they were improving...and then they just take a deep breath and give up ??? Aaaarrgghhhh!!!!!!!

:(I'll try to be back tomorrow.

Stef

Oh no, so sorry Stef! Those animals were very lucky to have you there during their time of need, regardless. :(

Think of it this way - today has got to get better, right? And you're halfway done with the day already! (We're just starting here!)

And - arschbombe is now my new favorite word.

Edited by windjamming

Oh no, so sorry Stef! Those animals were very lucky to have you there during their time of need, regardless. :(

Think of it this way - today has got to get better, right? And you're halfway done with the day already! (We're just starting here!)

Couldn't agree more with all of these statements windjamming. Lucky lucky animals to have someone to care for them and arschbombe is also my new favorite word and I shall endeavor to use it whenever possible :D

Stef - do I remember correctly that last year during your Serenade review your photo's disappeared ? Mine are no longer visible and at the moment I don't see the point in continuing my review if no one can see the photos! :(:( What did you do ? I really don't want to pay to upgrade to more bandwidth when the only reason I use the site is for the review. I'm so annoyed by this, the people hosting these websites are a bunch of arschbombes :D

So sorry Stef! Why do things always happen in groups!

As a child in Pennsylvania (which has very German roots) we did something called an assy - stand on the diving board, lift your feet so your bottom hits the board, and then fall forward in the water. It stung like anything! But I am enjoying arschbombe also!

Couldn't agree more with all of these statements windjamming. Lucky lucky animals to have someone to care for them and arschbombe is also my new favorite word and I shall endeavor to use it whenever possible :D

Stef - do I remember correctly that last year during your Serenade review your photo's disappeared ? Mine are no longer visible and at the moment I don't see the point in continuing my review if no one can see the photos! :(:( What did you do ? I really don't want to pay to upgrade to more bandwidth when the only reason I use the site is for the review. I'm so annoyed by this, the people hosting these websites are a bunch of arschbombes :D

I agree also. [emoji17] So sorry.

Irish Cath you are not getting out of your review that easily. Get back to it as some of us are waiting to read it. [emoji12]

Irish Cath you are not getting out of your review that easily. Get back to it as some of us are waiting to read it. [emoji12]

Lol, love the directness! You take the girl out of New York, but ...

But I agree! Irish Cath, you can't leave us hanging in Venice! We want to know what other brilliant, fun adventures you had, and what else "Grr" had up his sleeve in the food and beverage department.

If I recall correctly, the issue with the site is one of timing. I think they only allow so many free views at photos during a set amount of time - I want to say a month. In any case, it should correct itself, but I'm sure Stef can provide the details.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Okay -- I got over it -- somehow. It was just an inkling of hope anyway -- but the day I'll stop fighting will be the day I retire (or at least I should then).

Thanks for all the kind words everybody.

Cath, I gave you a detailed description on the picture problem in your review...go check it out...I'm here for any questions:cool:.

Denisey, ouch! That assy game does sound painful:eek:...why on earth would you do that? Lol -- I loved our visit in Pennsylvania...we could understand the Amish...which we thought was way cool.

Carpgirl, welcome to the review! Thank you so much about the info on the sportsgear -- lol -- I knew I should have checked out that 4D cinema:rolleyes:.

sofsolnanny, congratulation on the multiple upgrade:D! Whoohoo! if you're a sissy like me -- take a pillow along!

elmartellama, yup, sure would have liked to have that 4th set...thanks for the info -- on the cabin and on Mallorca:p.

Shopping

The shops are on deck 6. You’ll find an MSC logo shop (clothing and anything with a logo on it), a general store (basically also logo stuff toys and sweets) and a duty free boutique (perfumes and liquor) etc.

15072355248_0286d60256_b.jpg

15258925355_f1ec748980_b.jpg

You could buy purses, jewelry, watches, fountain pens and so forth. We’re not great shoppers… so I have to admit I didn’t really check out the individual stores. We only bought something (t-shirts) in the logo shop and strolled around for a couple of seconds in the general store…so we really are in no position to tell you in depth about the shopping.

They had sales in the tiger bar sometimes….again --- watches, MSC clothing, jewelry….so boring in our opinion and definitely overpriced. But people seemed to like it and went to check out the offered items, so once again this is just our personal impression.

They had these glass vitrines out in the hallways above the centrum, so you could check out some items without actually having to enter the stores…I liked that.

15072333147_6138a5e78f_b.jpg

15072316137_d568ddc388_b.jpg

lol -- sunglasses to dim down the ship's glitz?

15072299057_97b39c9fee_b.jpg

If anybody on here is a serious shopper – feel free to take over this section to tell everybody more about it.

Stay tuned!

Stef

Since we covered the displays in the hallways, why not look at some other thoroughfare pictures?

15252302146_c0b4042f95_b.jpg

This is the picture gallery on deck 7. Mhhh – A lot of space for something so hardly looked at. They did have some wonderful photographs …but I seriously never saw one single person stopping to look at them. Too bad.

15275293245_4273599422_b.jpg

This is a glimpse into the shopping /Topazio bar area on deck 6.

15088721497_8a430bd713_b.jpg

Elevators. Plenty, glitzy and fast.

15272158351_9b11f8ae02_b.jpg

This is the passageway through the spa to the gym. They have a hairdresser and massage rooms to the right… don’t know about the other spa facilities.

And you definitely saw these hallways every day:

15088690518_0079e5f51b_b.jpg

The lower levels had a blue carpet…

15088517589_1e14b8ea51_b.jpg

The upper ones (I think it was deck 10 and up) a red one.

Stay tuned!

Stef

On the last picture of the last post you can see some of the ship’s art.

Lol -- these pictures repeated themselves in three variations on each floor…over and over again.

15275203792_82e479aa86_b.jpg

Land to the right:)

15088848739_3b342f5984_b.jpg

Oh look – land to the left:rolleyes:

Only to be topped by:

15275195432_35343b13ee_b.jpg

Land on both sides:D

Just kidding – I really liked those huge pictures, they had an “Italian vacation” flair. I just would have liked a little more diversity in the shown landscapes.

Stay tuned!

Stef

Lol, love the directness! You take the girl out of New York, but ...

But I agree! Irish Cath, you can't leave us hanging in Venice! We want to know what other brilliant, fun adventures you had, and what else "Grr" had up his sleeve in the food and beverage department.

If I recall correctly, the issue with the site is one of timing. I think they only allow so many free views at photos during a set amount of time - I want to say a month. In any case, it should correct itself, but I'm sure Stef can provide the details.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

WOOOO check out the bossy lady. :D Yes Ayesha, Sorry Ayesha, Right back to it...... :D:p

You're right with the timing issue and yes Stef did come to my rescue with details of what I will need to do. More Venetian adventures with myself and Grrr soon.

Have a bit of a serious Sinus infection at the moment and i'm feeling a bit sorry for myself but will be back asap.

Stef you are one seriously brilliant lady. Not only do you put so much time and effort into your reviews you are also willing to stop and help others. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate it. Virtual high five winging its way from Ireland to Germany today. Oh and sorry for hijacking your review with my problems :rolleyes: