Conquest: Internet problem for airline check-in; cannot connect to secured page

Middleager

We just got off the Conquest today Aug. 31 (started on Aug. 24), and flew home to Toronto tonight.

Yesterday Aug. 30 afternoon I tried to do online check-in for our flights with Air Canada. After connecting to my email account, I saw the emails from Air Canada about online check in for my family. I clicked on the link, it opened up a new page, but it wouldn't connect .

I tried to go to Air Canada's own website. From there I clicked the link to check-in, it opened up a new page, but still would not connect. I kept trying, but it wouldn't connect. I ran out of my minutes.

I called Guest Services, and they were busy, took a long time to speak to someone. The lady said it should work, and had worked for many people and there is no problem. Just keep trying. She returned minutes to me. I tried again, but same issue.

Then more people also had problem, one lady with US Air, another couple with another airline. It appeared the problem is nobody could connect to a secured page. Several more people called Guest Services from the phone beside the internet café. I called again. This time the gentleman said yes, many people are having problems getting to secured page. I had wanted to change our seats to the preferred (better) seats that are opened up 24-hr before the flight, like I had done before. But without connection, no can do.

I hope they get this problem fixed soon. Otherwise there'll be many more upset people that cannot connect to a secured page.

Oh, and the internet speed is still so slow.

Had nothing to do with Carnival Internet. I suspect that the host for Air Canada / us Air etc were having issues . Yes they are the same host.

Thus I pay southwest 12.00 for the return flight for priority boarding and auto checkin

A basic knowledge of how secure httpconnections are made (basically you are blaming the highway because your car won't start). The pipe doesn't care what bits of data it is carrying. It doesn't k of if it is secure or not. That's just between your PC and the host machine. as an incident manager for a fortune 500 managed Internet host company for the last 15 years, a failure to serve a secure website has been server side 99% of the time - the other 1% was browser configuration (usually proxy setting). It has never been an intermediary ISP.

A basic knowledge of how secure httpconnections are made (basically you are blaming the highway because your car won't start). The pipe doesn't care what bits of data it is carrying. It doesn't k of if it is secure or not. That's just between your PC and the host machine. as an incident manager for a fortune 500 managed Internet host company for the last 15 years, a failure to serve a secure website has been server side 99% of the time - the other 1% was browser configuration (usually proxy setting). It has never been an intermediary ISP.

Blaming the highway because my car won't start, is quite a stretch of a comparison. And which host do all those airlines share? That's quite a monopoly if they all share the same host.

Another lady also had problem with WestJet. So if all those people with different airlines are having problem, you're saying it's less than 1% it's not Carnival's fault (even after many people complained and then they admitted that there is a problem and they will get their internet people to look into it).

Except those that are "admitting" to the problem are guest services people who don't have a clue about how these things work. I do. As i have managed these networks for 15 years.

as for monopoly -- not really, just a major presence (maybe more than 50% of the industry) -- check our Sabre dot com for more info if you care to educate yourself.

Blaming the highway because my car won't start, is quite a stretch of a comparison. And which host do all those airlines share? That's quite a monopoly if they all share the same host.

Another lady also had problem with WestJet. So if all those people with different airlines are having problem, you're saying it's less than 1% it's not Carnival's fault (even after many people complained and then they admitted that there is a problem and they will get their internet people to look into it).

Please, please, please do not think those people have one clue. They are about equal to putting my mother in charge. She could tell you anything she had been told to say, but how things work? She has no clue.

What's your proof for that (that it had nothing to do with Carnival)?

Except those that are "admitting" to the problem are guest services people who don't have a clue about how these things work. I do. As i have managed these networks for 15 years.

as for monopoly -- not really, just a major presence (maybe more than 50% of the industry) -- check our Sabre dot com for more info if you care to educate yourself.

f057fd2f6b091f90db1de848fe2d3818.png

Please, please, please do not think those people have one clue. They are about equal to putting my mother in charge. She could tell you anything she had been told to say, but how things work? She has no clue.

Well, it was quite a few people all having problems trying to do airline check-in. So at least they know there was a problem. After the first lady kept saying there is no problem and then they changed to admitting there is a problem and not trying to stonewall people, that was an improvement in custom relations.

It didn't mean they have a clue what the problem is and how to solve it. But at least they agree there is a problem.

Cruise ship connections are always slow and often spotty. Why does this surprise anyone? :confused:

The internet connection was slow, that certainly was not a surprise.

People were not having problems getting on the airline's main pages or doing their emails. But when so many people had problem connecting to the pages for doing the check-ins, there is a problem.