USAA travel insurance. Anyone use them?

The first time I insured through USAA for travel insurance, I had to use it. My claim for 2 visits to the ship infirmary was for about $550. I received a check for full reimbursement within a couple of weeks. We never cruise without trip insurance now. It is with Travel Insured International via the USAA web site portal.

• 11 months later...

I just did a cost comparison with the insurance company that USAA uses and then went directly to the insurance site. For the basic insurance it is 15.00 dollars cheaper with USAA.

As always, USAA pulls through.

I would not even be getting insurance. Except I am not sure if I charged my trip to one card. Should have kept note of that one. I am fearful that it might snow and I might not get up the turnpike

• 4 weeks later...

I also haven't used this particular product from this company (travel insurance), but I'll back USAA up any time, any day on any of their services.

This is my bank since 2007 (would have been my first if the Marine Corps didn't force you into Pacific Marine Credit Union during recruit training) and I use a wide variety of their other services, even to book my very first cruise at a great discount!

They seem to be one of the few companies out there not royally trying to screw with you and take every single penny they can out of your clenched hand.

You'll most likely get the best value and customer service with USAA.

• 4 weeks later...
Sucks, but sounds like you just had one bad experiance.

They are literally rated and known as one of the best insurance companies, for both claims, rates, and customer service...in the world.

For the OP, yes I use thier travel insurance. The 30 day from deposit only really matters if you have any pre-existing medical conditions you want covered. If you don't (Like myself) then as long as you purcahse it before final payment is due, it covers everything listed.

With that said, I saw no advantage to the highest of the 3 options...I always go with the middle one.

The travel insurance from USAA is not their policy. They sub it out to another insurer. Had a claim some years ago and finally gave up trying to collect. Now simply use my Chase Sapphire as it has PRIMARY auto insurance coverage worldwide and trip insurance up to $10K along with the standard credit card coverages. Already have health insurance thru United Healthcare that covers us worldwide with max out of pocket of $2000.

• 1 month later...

Trip insurance never crossed my mind before we were on a ship coming from the Panama Canal headed toward California several years ago. A man who was very fit and probably late 50's fell over a stool in their forward suite after coming in from the balcony. He broke his hip. He was taken to the hospital at the port (I think it was Costa Rica) and then flown home with a doctor and nurse on a private jet for surgery where they lived. We heard that he and his wife had both ship's insurance and Travel Guard which, we were told, covered the costs.

We don't always buy complete trip insurance, but we do buy the medical part.