Luggage limitations for Alaska Cruisetour

DentoAlaska

I read somewhere (and of course I can't find it again) that there may be luggage size limitations for the land portion of a cruise tour.

Does anyone know if this is true or where I can find "official" dimensions for luggage on the land portion?

I know that we can send some luggage off to "Meet me on the Ship" but am concerned about what we can take on the land portion with us. We have two 31" pieces that I thought one could go to the ship and I was hoping to take the other large piece on the land portion.

Could you all please share your knowledge and experience with me?

Thanks!!!

For what it's worth I read that carry on luggage has to fit under the train seat, as there is no luggage rack on that glass top rail car.

As we are doing the land tour after the cruise, we will have both our large cases following us, so I can't help your there.

It's a plus if you can send one case forward to the ship. Enjoy your time in Alaska :)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Having same issues as the OP. I posted this in the Alaska forum and it was suggest that I post it here as well.

My husband and I have been going in circles trying to decide what is the best option for our hand carry luggage while on the land tour. A friend is letting us borrow a small rolling bag to bring. It measures 17x13x8 but isn't really soft-sided. From what I am reading within the tour paperwork, it states that the bag shouldn't be more than 17x14x4 and needs to be soft-sided.

This bag works perfectly for carrying my camera equipment on the plane and then would become the clothing bag for the land tour. Camera equipment would then be shifted to a backpack. We would then only have two bags for the bus/train rides. If we don't bring it, we will then have a smaller bag with my clothes as well as my backpack and an extra bag or backpack for my husband.

Is this a doable size bag or does it really need to be soft-sided bag with the exact measurements they state?

Thanks in advance!

I did the land portion first in June. I must say I was pleasantly shocked on how great the luggage was handled. You got your large luggage and our "carry-on" that we used on the plane delivered right to the hotel waiting for us b4 we even arrived at the hotel. Then you put everything you'll need in your carry on and keep that with you for the duration of the land tour. The big one ships out the first morning you start the land tour. You wont see that again until you board the ship. Every morning of the land tour you leave the carry on luggage outside your room to be picked up and brought to the next hotel. It was always waiting for us when we arrived. When we went on the train, we were told there really was no place to put a "carry on", and we again, left it outside our room and it was waiting for us when we boarded the ship. People who had carry ons the train were asked them to leave them with the stewards and they got them when we got off the train. The system worked well. Hope this helped.

My "carry-on" is not a bag that will be out of sight nor left out to meet me at my next stop, as it is about the size of a backpack (17x13x8) and Princess recommends 17x14x4. It will only have a change of clothing for the next day, for each of us, in case a change is needed before our suitcases arrive at the hotel.

My concern is that the bag itself is too big to fit under a seat on the bus or train. If it is, my husband and I will each have to carry a much smaller soft sided bag for our change of clothing and I will also have a backpack with my camera. It just means we will have three bags to store under a seat rather than two.

We are just not sure which option will work best.

I did an Alaska cruise tour last year with cruise first. I had a large suitcase, a carryon and a backpack. I actually had a larger soft bag in my suitcase for flying home. When on the train, I was able to take backpack and my purse/bag. The only thing that went to the next stop was my large suitcase and it was with me on ship and at each hotel on land. No problems. I saw a bunch of people really pushing the size limit, but I tried to behave and no problems.

My "carry-on" is not a bag that will be out of sight nor left out to meet me at my next stop, as it is about the size of a backpack (17x13x8) and Princess recommends 17x14x4. It will only have a change of clothing for the next day, for each of us, in case a change is needed before our suitcases arrive at the hotel.

My concern is that the bag itself is too big to fit under a seat on the bus or train. If it is, my husband and I will each have to carry a much smaller soft sided bag for our change of clothing and I will also have a backpack with my camera. It just means we will have three bags to store under a seat rather than two.

We are just not sure which option will work best.

I honestly would not worry about hand-carrying any clothes in your bag. Our bags always arrived before us, as they travel on trucks separate from the train or coach you will be on.

You have to remember that Princess has been doing this a very long time and has it down to a science. Your bags will be there. It is an astoundingly slick process.

On the train, you will be at a table with another pair, one set of seats facing forward and one set facing back. The only room for bags is the footroom under the table, so you need to consider your comfort and that of your table mates.

Leave out the packed clothes and take smaller hand luggage.

LovemyRotti, Thank you so much for your reply. I completely understand the need to carry a very small bag with you on the train and the buses and am prepared to do that. Each of us will only have a small backpack with us with a raincoat, binoculars and essentials for that day. I was more concerned if there was a size limit on the bag that you sit outside your door to be transported to your next stop. Do you know if there is a size weight limit on that bag?

The bag we will have for them to transport for us will meet all the airline requirements for size and weight but is there different requirement with Princess for the bag to be transported?

LovemyRotti, Thank you so much for your reply. I completely understand the need to carry a very small bag with you on the train and the buses and am prepared to do that. Each of us will only have a small backpack with us with a raincoat, binoculars and essentials for that day. I was more concerned if there was a size limit on the bag that you sit outside your door to be transported to your next stop. Do you know if there is a size weight limit on that bag?

The bag we will have for them to transport for us will meet all the airline requirements for size and weight but is there different requirement with Princess for the bag to be transported?

My DH and I are the world's heaviest packers, no joking. We each had a very large case that went to each hotel with us (again via trucks). We were also able to send a bag on to the ship that contained only items that we wouldn't need on the land tour. No one balked at all at the amount of luggage or size of the bags.

Have a fantastic cruisetour. Alaska is amazing!

My husband and I are each bringing one regular-sized suitcase on our upcoming cruisetour, so we won't be sending any luggage to "meet us on the ship". We don't need those bags on the train but we'll need them at the hotel...I'm assuming that Princess can handle a "normal"-sized piece of luggage (approx. 28"x20", I think?) and under 50 lbs.

Having same issues as the OP. I posted this in the Alaska forum and it was suggest that I post it here as well.

My husband and I have been going in circles trying to decide what is the best option for our hand carry luggage while on the land tour. A friend is letting us borrow a small rolling bag to bring. It measures 17x13x8 but isn't really soft-sided. From what I am reading within the tour paperwork, it states that the bag shouldn't be more than 17x14x4 and needs to be soft-sided.

This bag works perfectly for carrying my camera equipment on the plane and then would become the clothing bag for the land tour. Camera equipment would then be shifted to a backpack. We would then only have two bags for the bus/train rides. If we don't bring it, we will then have a smaller bag with my clothes as well as my backpack and an extra bag or backpack for my husband.

Is this a doable size bag or does it really need to be soft-sided bag with the exact measurements they state?

Thanks in advance!

Had the same size rolling bag as you. It went in a small space underneath the train, so as we got off the train it was in our hand. We did have our camera backpack and a personal backpack that fit under our seats. Have fun, best trip ever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was more concerned if there was a size limit on the bag that you sit outside your door to be transported to your next stop. Do you know if there is a size weight limit on that bag?

Anything that meets airline regs is acceptable for the land part of the cruise tour.

We did what you propose. Sent one large bag to meet us at the ship and kept one large bag on the land tour.

Yes, thank you as well. I was just looking for a "yes", that bag will fit under a bus seat/train seat or a "no", not going to work at all! It falls 4 inches outside of what Princess recommends for putting under a seat which was my concern. It apparently fits under an airline seat so we may just go with this option.

I know some are not recommending even bothering as my luggage should be at my next stop by the time I get there, but I would rather be safe than sorry. (A friend has also told me not to worry as it wasn't an issue for them either.)

Yes, thank you as well. I was just looking for a "yes", that bag will fit under a bus seat/train seat or a "no", not going to work at all! It falls 4 inches outside of what Princess recommends for putting under a seat which was my concern. It apparently fits under an airline seat so we may just go with this option.

I know some are not recommending even bothering as my luggage should be at my next stop by the time I get there, but I would rather be safe than sorry. (A friend has also told me not to worry as it wasn't an issue for them either.)

Just to be clear, on the train, if you have a bag that has valuables in it that you want to be in the train car with you, there is no "under the seat" space for a bag, it is literally in the space where your legs/feet go.

Do as you wish, but there truly is no need for a change of clothes in hand-carried luggage.

Just to be clear, on the train, if you have a bag that has valuables in it that you want to be in the train car with you, there is no "under the seat" space for a bag, it is literally in the space where your legs/feet go.

Do as you wish, but there truly is no need for a change of clothes in hand-carried luggage.

Well, that just throws a whole new twist on what to do! I was getting mixed messages about the train. I don't think I would need the bag for the train ride since we will be checking into the boat fairly late. My backpack will with valuables and camera will be with me though and should fit between my feet.

That being said, if we do use the carry-on bag they will "check" it onto the train and we will collect it once we arrive in Whittier, correct?

Thanks!

How cruisetour luggage works - the short version

Either at your first hotel or on the ship (depending on directions), you will get 2 tags each.

One says 'Follow me' the other 'To The Ship' or something similar for post cruise. You can request more 'To the...' tags easily. Follow me's may not be available.

Your 'To The...' items will be take from you and you will not see them again until either your last hotel or the ship. Your 'follow me' bag will show up at each hotel, often before you get there, and you will put it out at night before bed (usually).

They are not too picky on size for either of those.

On the train itself, depending on which car is used (Princess has their own cars plus uses some railroad ones), you will be seated at an assigned table of up to 4 people. There MAY be some space under each seat, some have electrical or other boxes that limit space. Some cars also have a ledge near the front and back walls if you get lucky and get those seats. Anything you carry on board will have to fit in those spaces.

If you are on a bus, they can put things underneath, which gives a little more flexibility.

That being said, if we do use the carry-on bag they will "check" it onto the train and we will collect it once we arrive in Whittier, correct?

No checking of luggage on the train.

Your "follow me" luggage is trucked to the next location. It is not on the train with you.

You can see the space available under the train seat in my report at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

I have a question regarding the luggage as well. If this has been answered already I apologize. I do understand the part of sending luggage off that you will not see again until you board the ship, but can both my hubby and I keep one piece of luggage or does it have to be one piece between us? Then we can also have our carry on as well? What I wanted to know if each of us can have a carry on as well as a large suitcase for the cruise tour part. I am trying not to overpack but between the cruise tour, the cruise, the hotel before and after each, I think it is going to be very hard to limit stuff. Thanks for all the help with this. I do not know what I would do without all the heop from cruise critic.

I have a question regarding the luggage as well. If this has been answered already I apologize. I do understand the part of sending luggage off that you will not see again until you board the ship, but can both my hubby and I keep one piece of luggage or does it have to be one piece between us? Then we can also have our carry on as well?

Yes, you can each have one suitcase that Princess will take care of on the land tour and can each have a carryon that fits under the seat on the train.

Yes, you can each have one suitcase that Princess will take care of on the land tour and can each have a carryon that fits under the seat on the train.

Thank you so much that helps a lot. And it doesn't matter for the size of the suitcase that goes to hotel to hotel? We have a few of those large suitcases that can weigh close to 50 pounds. We are usually just under that for flying.

:)

Oh and I did look at your review. I loved it. Thanks for sharing that. Great, great pictures.

Just wondering if there is anythng special that you suggest we do not miss on our cruise tour, or anything special as far as the food that you thought was really good we should not miss. Did you enjoy the dinner show in Denali? We are looking at doing that so just wondering if you think it is worth it. Also, the white water rafting. Did you enjoy that - another thing we are looking at doing. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. I have been spending so much time planning this trip and working on but still afraid I will forgot or miss something.

As I posted previously, just to be clear, on the train, there really is no "under the seat". It is really under the table that you share with table-mates, in the area where your (and their) feet/legs go. For comfort, make this a small, soft-sided bag (think tote bag, not roller bag).

As I posted previously, just to be clear, on the train, there really is no "under the seat". It is really under the table that you share with table-mates, in the area where your (and their) feet/legs go. For comfort, make this a small, soft-sided bag (think tote bag, not roller bag).

I'm now rethinking what would be 'essential' for the 5hr 30 min train ride to Mt McKinley . Will more than likely 'send on' one carry-on and take just one, if there is limited if any space under the seat. I didn't see much space for small luggage in the photo.

Then again, if both carry-ons go with the large cases, maybe my tote will be sufficient? (We do the cruise first)

It's good to have this discussion beforehand.