Tri-Rail!

mjw001

Anyone have any update on when the new tri rail station at Miami central station will open?? I saw an article on sun sentinel website from October that said January but no firm date, can any Floridians advise if they heard anything on their local news about this

I was on the TriRail yesterday. I use it all the time.

One thing I never saw were any cabs at any tri rail station.

The easiest way to get to the POM on the tri rail is to take it to the Government Center downtown Miami by switching to the Metro Rail.

When you say switch to the Metro Rail, does this mean getting off the Tri-Rail and then getting onto another train...with all that luggage?:eek:

Anyone have any update on when the new tri rail station at Miami central station will open?? I saw an article on sun sentinel website from October that said January but no firm date, can any Floridians advise if they heard anything on their local news about this

I'd like to know this, also. We sail in March from POM. Staying in FLL.

If open by then, Tri-Railing to MIA sounds easier. We would then need to get a cab or shuttle from MIA to POM. My understanding is that a cab would be $25?

PS - Read the following on Tri-Rail...sounds scary!

Exiting Trains

Be prepared to disembark immediately upon arrival at your destination. Train stop average is approximately 30 seconds.

Baggage

Passengers may carry bags onboard, but please do not block seats or aisles. Luggage racks are available on all northernmost cars. Tri-Rail is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Train personnel are not required to provide baggage assistance. Customers must limit baggage to no more than three (3) pieces of standard size luggage which they can carry onboard in one trip.

Does the above mean that there are no luggage racks going from FLL to MIA?

Edited by Iamthesea

I'd like to know this, also. We sail in March from POM. Staying in FLL.

If open by then, Tri-Railing to MIA sounds easier. We would then need to get a cab or shuttle from MIA to POM. My understanding is that a cab would be $25?

You are making this very hard - why take the train from FLL to MIA for about $5 each and then still be a $25 cab ride from the port? :confused: Why not take a shared shuttle from FLL straight to the Port of Miami (POM) for about $15 per person?

Using tri rail is more suited for someone like me who is flying in to fll the day before and staying in Miami pre cruise(and the hotel offers cruise transfers) since I have time to burn and i can can get free shuttle from hialeah market station to mia airport to catch the free hotel shuttle and it will only cost me 5 bucks total

Edited by bigpapa7272

You are making this very hard - why take the train from FLL to MIA for about $5 each and then still be a $25 cab ride from the port? :confused: Why not take a shared shuttle from FLL straight to the Port of Miami (POM) for about $15 per person?

True! For 3 of us, the cost would only be $5 more to take QLS. Have never used a shared ride. Thanks for pointing that out. Have used QLS before for a private ride ($150 from Port Everglades to PBI).

The downside is that the shuttle service doesn't pick up until between 10:00-10:30. Another 45 minutes to an hour to the port, and we are getting on the ship later than we normally do. On the other hand, with this new "arrival system" that Celebrity is trying, they may not let us on any earlier.

Edited by Iamthesea

We are flying into FLL, but have a hotel booked in Miami (the new Best Western Plus Miami Airport North Hotel & Suites, 131 Fairway Drive)

for the night before our cruise. Receive a great rate and the hotel is near MIA.

The following morning, we have a shared ride from our hotel to POM with folks from our Roll Call. So that cost will be relatively low.:)

Given the above changes... is there a shared service at FLL, that could take us to our hotel in Miami, or at least the MIA. We could then pick up the free hotel shuttle to get from MIA to the hotel.;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Found some shuttles and/or private transportation online. ;)

I'd love to take the Tri-Rail, but just read an article that the new station will not open until late March or early April. Rather than chance it, I feel we needed to make reservations with a service, now.

Thanks again for all the help! :)

I paid 15 PP each way with MJS in Oct....maybe a few bucks less...they were excellent!

Sent from my Galaxy S5

$15 per person from the FLL area to the MIA airport area? :confused:

That rate is typical to POM but an amazing bargain to the MIA airport unless maybe you filled the van with a large party? :confused:

Glad you asked that question, John. I too was going to ask. And what is MJS?

MJS is a shared shuttle service based in the FLL area often suggested - along with SAS, QLS & Go Airport - for transportation to POM and from POM back to FLL. I have never used them.

We did Tri-Rail years ago from PBI to Miami and then even transferred to the Metro-Rail. It was great. It took about 2 hours in all and cost 4 of us only about $25 total. Tri-Rail was nice, great space for luggage. Metro Rail on the other hand is what you would expect for a city subway. It worked and was cheap.

• 7 months later...

Not wanting to beat a dead horse but I just wanted to ask a further question.

It seems the dynamics change a bit when you reverse the scenario and go from MIA to FLL. Is it easier to do this? i.e. take the the tri rail from MIA to FLL and get to my hotel from there..whether by taxi or hotel shuttle?

Not wanting to beat a dead horse but I just wanted to ask a further question.

It seems the dynamics change a bit when you reverse the scenario and go from MIA to FLL. Is it easier to do this? i.e. take the the tri rail from MIA to FLL and get to my hotel from there..whether by taxi or hotel shuttle?

Tri-rail is $3.75 pp on weekday, $5 weekend. Take it from MIA and get off at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport at Dania Beach Station. Then jump on FLA1 shuttle that drops you off at airport.

Tri-rail is $3.75 pp on weekday, $5 weekend. Take it from MIA and get off at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport at Dania Beach Station. Then jump on FLA1 shuttle that drops you off at airport.

Thanks jb456.

This shuttle where is it in relation to when you get off the train?

Is it close by?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks jb456.

This shuttle where is it in relation to when you get off the train?

Is it close by?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You can't miss it basically right at the station and it runs a continuous loop almost every 20ish minutes during the week bit longer on weekend. (just ask a worker if your not sure). Below link you can see times train arrives and time the shuttle departs.

http://www.tri-rail.com/connection-maps/062515_Fort_Lauderdale_Airport_Station_Route_FLA1.pdf

Edited by jb456

I am curious about the Tri Rail. We are flying into Miami (our flight doesnt land until 530pm) the day before our cruise , which is out of Port Everglades. We have a reservation for the pre cruise night at the Hilton Marina Ft Lauderdale, which I do not think has a free airport shuttle. There are 4 of us and I was planning on booking a car to pick us up in Miami. Would the Tri Rail be something that would work for us? Or should we stick to the car, which will run us about $100? Just exploring all options :)

I am curious about the Tri Rail. We are flying into Miami (our flight doesnt land until 530pm) the day before our cruise , which is out of Port Everglades. We have a reservation for the pre cruise night at the Hilton Marina Ft Lauderdale, which I do not think has a free airport shuttle. There are 4 of us and I was planning on booking a car to pick us up in Miami. Would the Tri Rail be something that would work for us? Or should we stick to the car, which will run us about $100? Just exploring all options :)

You can get the tri-rail right at MIA airport. I gather your landing on the weekend based on the dates of your cruise in your signature. It would cost you $5 each - $20 total for the 4.

This will get you to Fort Lauderdale then you can get a taxi to your hotel.

What hotel are your staying at? Might be better to get off at the Fort Lauderdale station (one after the airport station). Depends though on the hotel you will be staying at?

Edited by jb456

You can get the tri-rail right at MIA airport. I gather your landing on the weekend based on the dates of your cruise in your signature. It would cost you $5 each - $20 total for the 4.

This will get you to Fort Lauderdale then you can get a taxi to your hotel.

What hotel are your staying at? Might be better to get off at the Fort Lauderdale station (one after the airport station). Depends though on the hotel you will be staying at?

Yes...we fly in on a Saturday and our cruise leaves sunday. We are staying at the Hilton Marina Resort which is close to the port. Is it safe riding the Tri Rail? I am not at all familiar w it. But it sure sounds like a better deal than a private car!

Yes...we fly in on a Saturday and our cruise leaves sunday. We are staying at the Hilton Marina Resort which is close to the port. Is it safe riding the Tri Rail? I am not at all familiar w it. But it sure sounds like a better deal than a private car!

Sorry I noticed you wrote the hotel in first post and I was just going to update my post.

Alright - yes it is safe and convenient to use the tri-rail.

Easiest for you would be taking tri-rail from MIA airport and getting off at station called Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport at Dania Beach Station.

Cost $5 each on weekend.

From Tri-rail station take a taxi to Hilton. It is 5.8 miles away and will cost around $17ish plus tip.

So for 4 people tri-rail and taxi your looking at $40 ($10 each) to get to Hilton.

Here is tri-rail link so you can read more about it. http://www.tri-rail.com/

Sorry I noticed you wrote the hotel in first post and I was just going to update my post.

Alright - yes it is safe and convenient to use the tri-rail.

Easiest for you would be taking tri-rail from MIA airport and getting off at station called Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport at Dania Beach Station.

Cost $5 each on weekend.

From Tri-rail station take a taxi to Hilton. It is 5.8 miles away and will cost around $17ish plus tip.

So for 4 people tri-rail and taxi your looking at $40 ($10 each) to get to Hilton.

Here is tri-rail link so you can read more about it. http://www.tri-rail.com/

Thank you! Your information is very helpful! Do you know....are there taxis,at the stop in ft lauderdale? And in looking at the train schedule am I understanding it correctly that it runs about ever hour?

Thank you! Your information is very helpful! Do you know....are there taxis,at the stop in ft lauderdale? And in looking at the train schedule am I understanding it correctly that it runs about ever hour?

Yes every hour on weekend EXCEPT getting later into the night which might pose a problem for you. Unless they add more trains in 2016 which is something I don't know.

There is a gap after the 6:17pm train till 9:40pm which would not work for you (when I look today but like I said maybe it's different times in "Higher season of 2016"). You land at 5:30 hopefully it's enough time to make the 6:17pm train. International flight you would have no chance making the train. Due to your flight time if it's not domestic flight (which still somewhat pushes it) you may have to seek an alternate option as I am sure you dont want to sit around waiting for the next one to save a few dollars.

There usually is taxi's at FLL stop as many take taxi's to airport instead of waiting for shuttle or people getting dropped off at tri-rail.

Regarding car rentals I read on these threads that Alamo offers a free cruise shuttle out of FLL now. (Call and confirm this though)

It's far out for rentals and prices always change but you could consider renting a car from MIA the 20th and dropping of at FLL the 21st then (if you confirm there is a free shuttle to cruise port) then get the shuttle to your cruise. Checking Alamo quickly I see midsizes in the $70s should be big enough for your bags and stuff just for the short drive to Fort Lauderdale. If you have a costco membership it's a bit cheaper..

This way you could reserve a car (don't prepay) and keep checking close to your travel date for price drops to rebook a new reservation.

Edited by jb456

I think for you - due to landing late you should go car rental route and keep tri-rail as a second option if they add more trains in higher season which is something I have no clue on.

Tri-rail might work for you on the return if your flying home from MIA.