Mariner/Navigator Comparison

kmcqueen

Thank you all for your help in de-mystifying the question re the post in the penthouse suites. I really dislike it, so want to avoid it (can appreciate others who like the division between the two areas).

Also, I would like to hear thoughts on the new decor of the penthouse. Honestly, I don't like it based on the pictures and I think it looks kind of cheap. Hope it is better in person. It looks very bland with beige/grey carpet and sofas. There is no color and the footstool at he end of the bed looks pink with an awful design swirl (reminiscent of bad 80's decor). Perhaps someone can illuminate us on what it really looks like in person?

Many thanks

Edited by Sunprince

The real difference between the two ships starts with where they were built. The Mariner was built in France (My husband and I were part of the shakedown cruise that sailed her out of the shipyard). The Voyager was built in Italy. Each ship's architect followed the standard design sizing of their shipyard; hence, the different style bathroom, suite sizes etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The real difference between the two ships starts with where they were built. The Mariner was built in France (My husband and I were part of the shakedown cruise that sailed her out of the shipyard). The Voyager was built in Italy. Each ship's architect followed the standard design sizing of their shipyard; hence, the different style bathroom, suite sizes etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand that they were built in different countries, but were the architects also from different countries? I was not aware that each shipyard had "standard design sizing". Rumor has always been that after the Mariner was built, Radisson looked at the design and decided to make changes which is why the Voyager utilized more space for suites/bathrooms. Even the safes are smaller on the Mariner.

Very interesting information.

Love the wit. I hope you won't mind if I quote you. Btw, Captain Dag, who was the first master of the Voyager confirmed to me it was the basic design of the shipyard that set the general layout for both ships. One corridor vs two. Different widths for the standard cabin units that are built off ship and then dropped into place by cranes. Width of hull determined by dry dock size, etc. hope this helps.

Love the wit. I hope you won't mind if I quote you. Btw, Captain Dag, who was the first master of the Voyager confirmed to me it was the basic design of the shipyard that set the general layout for both ships. One corridor vs two. Different widths for the standard cabin units that are built off ship and then dropped into place by cranes. Width of hull determined by dry dock size, etc. hope this helps.

This definitely helps. We had the honor of sailing with Capt. Dag a few times. Have to say that we much prefer the one corridor vs. two. Facing a wall when you exit your suite is what put us off the Mariner when we first sailed on her. The bathroom and suite size also was off putting. However, after a while, we have warmed to the Mariner. We always stay in PH or above suites and the Mariner has much larger suites than the Voyager. Still don't love the closet, safe or bathroom but we are looking forward to the Mariner on our next three cruises.

Jackie - I don't understand what you are saying when you say "facing a wall when you exit your suite is what puts us off the Mariner" -- can you explain? Every single suite I have ever had on the Navigator, Mariner or Voyager or the Riviera opens out onto a corridor where one faces a wall... what else could be there??

We once - and only once - cruised in a "normal" Mariner suite. Never again! the PH is very nice, spacious and the column near the bed which is in some suites and not in others makes no difference IMO.

Jackie - I don't understand what you are saying when you say "facing a wall when you exit your suite is what puts us off the Mariner" -- can you explain? Every single suite I have ever had on the Navigator, Mariner or Voyager or the Riviera opens out onto a corridor where one faces a wall... what else could be there??

We once - and only once - cruised in a "normal" Mariner suite. Never again! the PH is very nice, spacious and the column near the bed which is in some suites and not in others makes no difference IMO.

On the Voyager, on most parts of the ship, when you go outside the door you are facing another suite. There are some single corridors on the Voyager but I believe that the Mariner has all double corridors. Think about Deck 11 on the way to the Observation Lounge (Voyager). Suites 1101 and 1103 are on the port side of the corridor and 1102 and 1104 are on the starboard side - across from each other.

Also, when you are in CR on the Voyager, there is a view of all sections of the restaurant. On the Mariner in R there is an area that is blocked by four walls. (in the middle as I recall).

Agree 100% about the "normal" Mariner suites. On our first Mariner cruise, we were in one for one day when my DH went to management and said that he could not tolerate the room (I probably could have -- I'm not quite as particular as he is). Anyway, the ship was full. Fortunately, the second night a man wanted to debark from the ship (we spoke with him before he left - he simply was not enjoying the cruise). He was in a PH suite which we were transferred to the morning he left.

This is a link to deck 7 of the Voyager. You can see the one corridor with suites facing each other. http://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=VOY You'll notice by around suite 762 the corridors split -- this is where the laundry room is. It then goes back to the single corridor again.

This is deck 8 of the Mariner. The space in between the suites is not a corridor but walled areas that I believe are used by the staff. http://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=MAR

I did look at CR on the Mariner - it does not show the wall that I remembered. Perhaps it is gone. Will see when we are on board next month.

P.S. When checking out my links, it takes you to the right area but you need to select the deck numbers that I am referring to.

Edited by Travelcat2