Blog from Jewel of the Seas August 30, 2014

Friday, September 5 Sea Day

Today was going to be a day of rest. We had taken advantage of the wonderful ports of call and had gone somewhere or done something every day. Our group of 5 had decided at dinner last night, that we were going to each do our own thing today. I think OD and SIL wanted some time alone and YD is easy going and didn’t really care what we did.

We got up at 9:00 this morning and slowly made our way to breakfast.

We watched a Question and Answer session with the Captain, Head of Hotel services and Head Engineer, looking on from the 8th floor that looks down onto the Centrum. There were chairs set up in the center, where people could sit and the CD, Dennis was the Moderator. He took some interesting questions from the audience. This lasted about 30 minutes.

We went back to the room and did quite a bit of packing and sat on the balcony and watched the water go by.

About 1:00 we went up to the Windjammer for lunch. The dining room was open for lunch today, but we didn’t want to spend that much time at the table.

At 2:00, Hubby and YD went to a Save the Waves program that discussed how RC is trying to preserve the environment.

At 4:00 all 5 of us went to play Bingo. This was the last session on the cruise and they were giving away a free cruise. Cards were pricey. There were 4 games. 6 cards for each game were $55 and these were all paper with pull down centers to cover your number. They also had electronic games that held 30 cards. You could purchase the electronic and the paper cards for $67. That gave you 36 cards per game. The session took 45 minutes and someone from Argentina won the cruise.

We got back to the room about 5 and got ready for dinner at Portofino. This is the Italian Restaurant on the ship. Our reservations were for 6 and when we arrived, there were only 3 other tables with people. It did begin to fill up as we were getting ready to leave. The food was really good and the service was excellent. We had 4 courses as well as wine. The upcharge without the wine was $20 per person plus a tip. Quite honestly, I wouldn’t have gone to either of the upcharge restaurants as I thought the food in the dining room was really good. Our OD and SIL wanted to treat us to dinner and they had made the reservations. It was very nice, but to me, I’d rather spend my money on something else.

After dinner, we went back to the room and finished packing, having our bags out before 11. At that point we were in for the night. We spent some time out on the balcony and then off to bed.

Saturday, September 6, 2014 San Juan Disembarkation Day

We were up this morning at 6:15 and were in the Windjammer for breakfast by 7:00. There was a copy of our charges for the week under our door and we checked that while at breakfast.

As an aside…. You can use an interactive system on the stateroom television to check your account anytime. I did this almost daily to make sure that I hadn’t been charged for something that wasn’t mine. We had no problem and since we intended to let our charges stay on our credit card, we didn’t have to do anything.

The Windjammer was quite busy this morning and the made to order egg station was closed. There is also no room service on debarkation day. We had breakfast and then headed back to the room to pick up our carryons. Our place to meet was the theatre and we had to be there by 8:15. I didn’t think to mention it earlier, but on Thursday night when we returned from dinner, all of our disembarkation documents were on our bed. There were new luggage tags with a number on them, customs forms and a time schedule, telling you what time and where to meet to get off the ship. There is also the option on not leaving your bags outside your door the night before and carrying your luggage off the ship yourself. If you do this, you have to do it totally alone as there is no one to help you. Also these people are about the first off the ship at 7:30.

We arrived at the Theatre a few minutes after 8 and we were called to get off right at 8:15. They call you off by your luggage tag number.

Once you get to the terminal, they have the luggage separated by luggage tag number. It’s very easy to find. Once you find your bags, you take them and get in line to go through customs. You have to have your customs form filled out and be ready to give it and your passport to the customs agent.

I had read on Cruise Critic that if you get a porter to take your luggage, you will go to an expedited line and you would get through Customs much faster. We did get a porter and gave him $2 per bag. As it happened the line that we would have gotten into if we hadn’t gotten a porter, when about the same speed as the one with the porter so today, we could have saved the money. Maybe other days it pays to use a porter.

Once you’re through Customs, you make your way outside and to a taxi. The porter went with us and handed our bags over to the taxi driver. We went directly to the airport. It took about 15 minutes to get there.

As you come into the airport there are some luggage machines almost at the front doors. These are USDA machines. You have to put all of your luggage on them and get a USDA sticker. You can’t check your bags without this sticker. Once you’ve completed this process, you finish checking in for your flight.

Our first flight was uneventful and on time. Our second flight, unfortunately, was delayed about 3 hours. We were due home about 7:00pm and instead got in about 10.

We were glad to be home, safe and sound and we had a wonderful time.

That’s the end of my blog. Hope you enjoyed it!

I do have all of the daily Cruise Compasses and if anyone is interested I can upload them.

If anyone has any questions I’ll be happy to answer them.

Kim

I have been on a lot of cruises but it didn't dawn on me till the LAST cruise I was on with my daughter who likes her sleep, that I could have been doing this all along....we had a fridge in our room...I ordered breakfast from room service before they closed the night before...cereal, milk, rolls, etc, coffee (put in fridge and made iced coffee the next day). This afforded us more sleep the next morning and a much more relaxed departure. We chose to walk off the ship with all our luggage for an early flight... so we got off early. We have found...the buffet is crowded the last day and it is sometimes hard to find seats because it is usually the ONLY spot to eat.

So a long answer for a short question. Would I go again? Sure! If it fit my needs at the time.

I just noticed you sailed the Summit too but a bit ago. I just posted regarding the two. How do you compare, honestly?

We originally booked the Jewel for two new ports and for a different ship. We've sailed Summit 3x. But now, Jewel has cancelled one of our new ports and the Summit price has dropped and there's more OBC. So we might switch over to the Summit. Just don't know if the Jewel is worth the price difference and only one new port.

If you can advise, please help. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

I just noticed you sailed the Summit too but a bit ago. I just posted regarding the two. How do you compare, honestly?

We originally booked the Jewel for two new ports and for a different ship. We've sailed Summit 3x. But now, Jewel has cancelled one of our new ports and the Summit price has dropped and there's more OBC. So we might switch over to the Summit. Just don't know if the Jewel is worth the price difference and only one new port.

If you can advise, please help. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Well. We love the Summit. I'm actually looking at the Bermuda itinerary on her for next summer.

We haven't sailed her since she has been redone. Their sizes are similar. The last time we sailed her, she was showing her wear as well.

For me, my decision would depend on the itinerary, but OBC and the price could certainly sway me.

I'm sorry I'm not much help here. I chose the Jewel this time solely because I wanted to see St. Lucia so I guess it depends on how badly you want to see the islands on the Jewel itinerary VS the economy of savings on the Summit.

Also, you know you enjoy the Summit, so are you looking for a different ship experience?

Well. We love the Summit. I'm actually looking at the Bermuda itinerary on her for next summer.

We haven't sailed her since she has been redone. Their sizes are similar. The last time we sailed her, she was showing her wear as well.

For me, my decision would depend on the itinerary, but OBC and the price could certainly sway me.

I'm sorry I'm not much help here. I chose the Jewel this time solely because I wanted to see St. Lucia so I guess it depends on how badly you want to see the islands on the Jewel itinerary VS the economy of savings on the Summit.

Also, you know you enjoy the Summit, so are you looking for a different ship experience?

At first it was for the Martinique and Tortola and the ship was different. Now they've dropped Tortola so now we are wondering if the price is really worth Martinique and a different ship. That's what it comes down to now.

We've sailed Summit pre and post. We like the new additions. The main pool area is nicer plus the addition of the specialty restaurant Qsine. They've changed some of the bars and lounges as they look nicer but in the end a bar and lounge is the same to me so no difference there. Hope that helps. The tiled showers still show wear and still some rust on balconies even after the refit. It's an older ship so I guess that's what you get. We didn't stay in Aqua Class so I can comment on the food in Blu. Hope this helps.

At first it was for the Martinique and Tortola and the ship was different. Now they've dropped Tortola so now we are wondering if the price is really worth Martinique and a different ship. That's what it comes down to now.

We've sailed Summit pre and post. We like the new additions. The main pool area is nicer plus the addition of the specialty restaurant Qsine. They've changed some of the bars and lounges as they look nicer but in the end a bar and lounge is the same to me so no difference there. Hope that helps. The tiled showers still show wear and still some rust on balconies even after the refit. It's an older ship so I guess that's what you get. We didn't stay in Aqua Class so I can comment on the food in Blu. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I can't make this decision for you! We've been to Martinique a couple of times and enjoyed it. It's a very pretty island but would you be as happy with the itinerary on the Summit? If so, and it would be cheaper, then the Summit might be better.

Personally, I think I prefer the Summit over the Jewel if we're just comparing ships.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a different ship to try, then the Jewel might be a better choice.

Sorry, but only you can know what is more important to you. Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!

Thanks for the review. Will be there next Saturday

appreciate the Boatyard info. Sounds like a definite do. We did Malibu Beach before and liked it but is further out and I always worry about cab not showing up and missing ship.

Did you eat at Seaview or Solarium café? if so any info.

Did you notice at the port a little store just inside the door? I seem to remember one. We were thinking of buying some drinks to take on board without a taxi stop as we are flying in day of cruise.

Glad you liked the review!

We didn't eat at either of the cafes. I didn't see the Solarium menu but the seaview menu was basically bar food. I really was trying not to gain a bunch of weight on this trip, so we ate lunch everyday in the Windjammer where we could make fresh salads and have fruit.

We bought our wine at a grocery store across the street from our hotel in San Juan, so I wasn't paying attention to that as we boarded the ship, but one of my daughters commented that they thought they saw a place to buy some wine before boarding.

Just a thought... maybe you could ask your taxi driver to stop at a grocery store on the way to the ship. There are probably a lot of them and they would likely be cheaper than buying wine in the terminal.

What nights were you're formal nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If your itinerary is identical to ours, Formal nights were the 2nd night which was when we were in St. Croix and the 5th night which was when we were in St. Lucia.

I will say, formal nights were not nearly as formal as what we are accustomed to on other cruise lines. I knew this from reading the threads here. My Hubby usually always wears a tux because he owns one and once he's having to get dressed up any way, why not get some use out of it.

He just took a dark suit for this cruise and I would say only half the men had suits on. Many had on nice pants and button down shirts, no tie. There were some that chose to dress more casually although I didn't see any jeans or shorts. The ship didn't keep anyone from coming in to the dining room.

Most of the women did look dressier than their partners.

When we first started cruising, we always booked ship sponsored tours. We quickly learned that we were always in a huge group, the tours were expensive and we really didn't get to spend much time in any one place because it takes time to move large groups of people.

I started reading the CC boards for the individual places we would be visiting and got great information.

I would then use that information and get on Tripadvisor to see what people said about different places there. The nice thing about TA, is that it's not just cruisers posting, but a much larger variety and diversity of people.

TA also lists day tours for different places so there would be more variety when choosing a company to book with.

We began doing our own thing around our 3rd cruise. Now we only book our own trips. On some cruises we've taken, we've had very active MandM boards and we've been able to book tours with others from the ship which has been a lot of fun. On this trip, there were 5 of us and I booked all private tours which were very nice. It was just the 5 of us and we customized every thing we wanted to do.

Many people are concerned about not getting back to the ship on time. This has never been a problem for us. When booking a trip, I always make sure to schedule to be back at least a couple of hours before departure, that way if you get stuck in traffic, etc.... you still have plenty of time to make it back. Also, that gives you time to visit any shops or Front Street areas if the cruise ship is docked by them.

Also, if a Tour Company is not getting the passengers back to the ship on time, they aren't going to be in business for long. With social media the way it is, everyone will know about it very quickly. They know how important this is.

So enjoy doing the research and have fun planning your days off the ship!