Cruising with (2) 20 year olds?

Laszlo

My son has never been on a cruise, he never had any desire to. He's a college sophomore and last week I was talking to him on the phone and once again asked if he had any interest in taking a cruise with "Mom and Dad" We also offered to take and pay for one of his friends (room mate) His interest picked up 10 fold. We have in narrowed down to the 8 day on the Gem in May or going to Bermuda in early June on the BA. The two of them would be on an inside, my wife and I on a balcony. I'm just wondering if the two of them are going to be bored to tears? They are both straight A students, not really into partying (they would rather be rock climbing or playing water polo than drinking) really good looking and under 21.......so the clubs on the ship are out for them. I'm sure they'll be fine once we hit port, I'm just worried about the time on the ship. I know both of them would like the ropes course and water slides on the BA.

Any suggestions" comments?

Thanks

Edited by Laszlo

Based on me and my quieter friends I wouldn't be too worried about them not surviving the sea days - especially on Breakaway. There are always movies etc shown so even if lounging outside wouldn't be their cup of tea, they'd probably find something to entertain themselves.

Since I started cruising in late 20's, I haven't really paid attention to age limits onboard, but I have a faint memory of night time activities having age limit of 18. 21 is the limit for being able to stay in a non-connecting or non-adjacent cabin without somebody older and also for drinking on non-European itineraries (even beer/wine without parental consent while onboard), but other than that I'd say that being 18 is enough. Of course I might remember wrong also. :)

Edited by Demonyte

We have been cruising with our twenty somethings for several years now. They are always happy to be invited. They always find something to do whether it is trivia, hot tubs, or simply reading in a lounge chair. My son has a keen interest in eating, so of course he is never without choices! :D They both enjoy the white hot party (though that might be called something different now). As long as your son has someone to hang out with other than his parents all the time, he will probably have a great time!

As long as your son has someone to hang out with other than his parents all the time, he will probably have a great time!

Thanks all. I think thats the key, hanging out with Mom and Dad on the ship isn't going to work. I think the two of them should be OK. They both also like the beach, think of the Gem because they would like to go to Universal and the ship is in port from 7am - 9:30pm which will make for a nice long day at the park

Night clubs and adult activities are for guests 18 and over so they can go to any of that. You should be able to search for copies of the Daily Activity sheets for Gem & BA. Gem has the rockwall but BA has the ropes course and if they are active they will probably like that more. That time of year you will probably have lots of college age kids so they will be fine. Personally, I'd rather be "bored" on a cruise than sitting at home.

Night clubs and adult activities are for guests 18 and over so they can go to any of that. You should be able to search for copies of the Daily Activity sheets for Gem & BA. Gem has the rockwall but BA has the ropes course and if they are active they will probably like that more. That time of year you will probably have lots of college age kids so they will be fine. Personally, I'd rather be "bored" on a cruise than sitting at home.

Thanks, never realized the night clubs etc...were for 18 and older. Never had to think about it before. I'm wondering just how many college kids their will be? sure hope its not like spring break :eek:

My son has never been on a cruise, he never had any desire to. He's a college sophomore and last week I was talking to him on the phone and once again asked if he had any interest in taking a cruise with "Mom and Dad" We also offered to take and pay for one of his friends (room mate) His interest picked up 10 fold. We have in narrowed down to the 8 day on the Gem in May or going to Bermuda in early June on the BA. The two of them would be on an inside, my wife and I on a balcony. I'm just wondering if the two of them are going to be bored to tears? They are both straight A students, not really into partying (they would rather be rock climbing or playing water polo than drinking) really good looking and under 21.......so the clubs on the ship are out for them. I'm sure they'll be fine once we hit port, I'm just worried about the time on the ship. I know both of them would like the ropes course and water slides on the BA.

Any suggestions" comments?

Thanks

I would suggest the BA since there are more activities for them to do. Also, as the other posters indicated, they will be able to go the the dance clubs. Plenty to do.

International waters 18-20, with permission from parents, can obtain beer & wine.

Anyways have a great time!

Definety the Breakaway....much much more for them to do than on the Gem. They probably would enjoy the shows better too. They can get into the clubs..18 and older only for some events. Bermuda is a great port, easy to get around, and has the friendlest nicest people ever....and you lwon't have to worry about them missing the ship...if they wander off on their own.

Safe sailling

Late may and early June out of NYC will be full of parents trying to squeeze in a week with their college kids before internships and summer jobs start

Been there done that with mine and the week onboard is quite nice

Respectful older kids enjoying family time

Not many high schoolers and younger

Btw tell the boys the vast majority of those college kids will be girls cruising with their moms as dad is usually home caring for the younger kids who won't be out until late June.

I can't tell you how many situations like the above we encountered on the gem on our June 1 2013 cruise on the gem to Bahamas

I would do the BA though Bigger better ship with more stuff for them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Late may and early June out of NYC will be full of parents trying to squeeze in a week with their college kids before internships and summer jobs start

Been there done that with mine and the week onboard is quite nice

Respectful older kids enjoying family time

Not many high schoolers and younger

Btw tell the boys the vast majority of those college kids will be girls cruising with their moms as dad is usually home caring for the younger kids who won't be out until late June.

I can't tell you how many situations like the above we encountered on the gem on our June 1 2013 cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmmm, maybe I should leave my wife home:D

Have done the gem and breakaway with 2 20 yr olds. They always found something to do. They loved bermuda in that they could easily navigate transportation system to n from the beach. Also have beach by the pier. Totally enjoyed the shows, games, white hot and glow parties and rope course and plank. Never found them bored on any of the cruises, also went beginning of june and also january... Enough college kids on board if they want to mingle. Enjoy!

Have done the gem and breakaway with 2 20 yr olds. They always found something to do. They loved bermuda in that they could easily navigate transportation system to n from the beach. Also have beach by the pier. Totally enjoyed the shows, games, white hot and glow parties and rope course and plank. Never found them bored on any of the cruises, also went beginning of june and also january... Enough college kids on board if they want to mingle. Enjoy!

Excellent, Thanks

Thanks again for all the great info.......

Now onto the second part of this. Both kids will be 20 and have passports. Will be booking an inside for the guys and a balcony for my wife and I. I'm assuming will need to book one of us into each cabin along with one of them? I searched but wasn't able to come up with any paperwork which would be required for my son's friend. I would assume again his parents must sign something giving us permission to take him?

Thanks again for all the great info.......

Now onto the second part of this. Both kids will be 20 and have passports. Will be booking an inside for the guys and a balcony for my wife and I. I'm assuming will need to book one of us into each cabin along with one of them? I searched but wasn't able to come up with any paperwork which would be required for my son's friend. I would assume again his parents must sign something giving us permission to take him?

You can also book an adjacent stateroom (to my understanding this means either right next door or pretty much opposite side of corridor) and have people in right staterooms from the beginning, otherwise you need to do what you described. I'd contact NCL and ask for their ruling.

The friend being 20 years old, while not allowed to travel with NCL alone without somebody older, they aren't a minor anymore, so I don't think that you'd need any kind of permission to have them join you.

Edited by Demonyte

I was on a different ship, The Pearl, this summer. Do the 20 year olds like to read. The library onboard the Pearl was pretty busy every time I walked by. We went in once. Very peaceful and big windows looking out to the ocean. You can check out books, also. There were a lot of folks in there on their laptops kindles.

Another place that was always full of people having fun was the game room. People of all ages in there playing all sorts of games. The games available from the cruise ship were most all missing pieces and seemed geared for younger kids. So if the 20 year olds like playing cards or any certain games, they can bring their own. We had brought a travel sized backgammon game and had fun playing that.

You won't need permission from his parents as he is an adult over 18. NCL will let my 21 yo son book with his 20 yo girlfriend, no problem. Just book your wife with your son and you with the friend and then do a roommate switch up on board. The room stewards don't care. I tell them to keep an eye on the kids anyway :D Tipping also works well at this point in the cruise.

No they won't be bored. Two words- Girls, Food.