checking in online, credit card question

sunlovingirl

Hey all!

We are checking in online for our upcoming cruise, and I am trying to hook our credit card up to our account. It says "Last four digits" by the credit card for the expense account... So, how do they know my whole credit card number if they only take the last four digits??

Help!

Thanks

Beth

When you check in at the pier they will swipe the credit card. If you want to use a different card at that point, don't worry, they will swipe the card you choose. On our last cruise I left the credit card at the restaurant the night before we were flying out and didn't discover it until sitting at the airport getting breakfast. I cancelled he card and luckily we had several back up cards with us so no issues on the cruise or land tour. Not sure if it was due to too much wine or a senior moment but all turned out well.

Mary Lou

They only ask for the last four digits are they are NOT trying to get your credit card number for purposes of processing your on-board charges to your card.

The questions on the on-line check-in involve setting up who will be allowed to charge to your card. They use the last four digits to pre-identify a card and set up an "account" identified with it then find out who traveling with you will be allowed to charge to that card. For example you might want your spouse or other person sharing your cabin to be able to charge to it (or not). Likewise you might want to set up passengers in another cabin, for example your children, to charge items to your card.

Everything can be changed at final check-in at the pier if you'd like. But doing it in advance will save a few minutes at the pier. While it doesn't take long to make such changes at the pier you can imagine the increase in staffing and lines that might be needed if you multiplied that few minutes times 1,000 or more cabins. That's why they try to get everything set up in advance.