3 adults- which room is best?

NOLAbebe

Hi!

I am exploring options for a cruise with my husband and mother, and we would like to share a room. For any of you who have needed an extra bed for an adult on your cruise, what kind of room did you get? What do you think of the sofa bed? Is this comfortable enough for an adult in her late 60's? My mom would love a balcony, and if it came down to it, I suppose my husband and I could just sleep separately, allowing her to have a proper bed, but if I'm going to get stuck on the sofa, I'd at least like to know if it's decently comfortable (or will I be sleeping on the deck every night?!).

Thanks so much for your input! We're considering both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, so if you have been on both, I'd love to hear how they compare!

Have you considered two rooms adjoining or two across the hall from each other (one balcony and one inside)? And then mom could have her privacy. I think the sleeping quarters would get really tight for 3 adults although I believe the quality of the mattresses are good on the pullouts for both lines. I'm thinking more about bathroom usage, the bed time of mom versus other adults, wake up times, etc. A suite would give you more room but you still have only one room and one bathroom. Just my two cents.

Hi!

I am exploring options for a cruise with my husband and mother, and we would like to share a room. For any of you who have needed an extra bed for an adult on your cruise, what kind of room did you get? What do you think of the sofa bed? Is this comfortable enough for an adult in her late 60's? My mom would love a balcony, and if it came down to it, I suppose my husband and I could just sleep separately, allowing her to have a proper bed, but if I'm going to get stuck on the sofa, I'd at least like to know if it's decently comfortable (or will I be sleeping on the deck every night?!).

Thanks so much for your input! We're considering both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, so if you have been on both, I'd love to hear how they compare!

Another vote for two rooms. Three adults in one room does not sound like a vacation to me.

Another vote for two rooms. Three adults in one room does not sound like a vacation to me.

We would consider two rooms if we could afford it, but we may not be able to, so I wanted to explore the most realistic option. We actually all get along very well- would not be so if we were talking about my MIL, unfortunately. I think we would do okay together. We would likely get spa passes, allowing another bathroom for showering and such, so this would alleviate some of the crunch when it was time to get ready.

Definitely not ruling out a second room, but trying to make a single room (or suite) work. :)

We have had 3 adults in a room twice. On the Victory my aunt slept on the top bunk and said it was very comfortable. On the Dream my mom slept on the sofa made up as a bed. That was her choice and she said it was very comfortable. We have so much fun together that we have no problem with 3 to a room. And it makes for a very affordable cruise. Our steward brought us an extra balcony chair on the Victory. Have a great cruise!

I am a Pooh sized 67 year old woman and travel with two friends and at times with my grown children. I always take the sofa and find it really comfortable. We have had a balcony cabin on the Magic twice and looking forward to an ocean view on the Triumph in April.

I'm an adult who travels with my parents (more or less) regularly. In a perfect world, I'd book my own adjacent room, because I love hanging out with my parents, but it is close quarters with three adults in a cabin.

But my dad insists on paying the bill, and I would never ask him to pay extra so I could have my own cabin, and he'd never dream of letting me pay my own way. So I have slept on a pull-down bunk, and this November I'll be experiencing the couch. It's really not any less comfortable than sleeping on a single bed when I'm used to having my queen all to myself at home. The cabin quarters are a bit tight, but I escape to the Serenity deck whenever I can and they like to hang out on the balcony, so it all works out.

Wife and I are in our mid-50's and just got off the Miracle in June with my 75 YO MIL. Had a balcony with the sofa bed. She took the sofa bed and said it was wonderful and very comfortable. As you said, we all get along great and it was not a problem.

As far as tight quarters, the bathroom situation can be at times. I booked a room close to the Gymnasium/ Spa. I would grab my clothes and shower and change up there. Made it easy for the girls to have the bathroom together and got me out of the way for a while (they always take much longer to get ready than me).

I think it sounds like a great idea for you and your family. Enjoy your cruise.

We would likely get spa passes, allowing another bathroom for showering and such, so this would alleviate some of the crunch when it was time to get ready.

You don't have to have spa passes to be allowed to use the shower in the gym/spa. When we cruised, I went there to shower almost every day, just because the shower is soooo much larger !!

I have only been on carnival - but we took two cruises and shared a cabin with our 22 year old son. The first time was a balcony and the 2nd was an ocean view. We had plenty of room for the three of us. I hear that carnival staterooms are significantly bigger than standard rci staterooms - but since I have never cruised rci, I can't confirm that. The ocean view room was bigger by the same dimensions as the balcony - but both worked fine. The bathroom wasn't an issue - but we only have one bathroom in our house... so we're used to getting up in shifts! We enjoyed talking about our day while getting ready for bed! NOW... the real downside was one TV!!! We all have very different TV taste!

We travel a lot with my son and when the seas get rough sometimes my son wants to sleep with mommy. I have skeps on the couch a few times and didn't find it any better or worse than the bed. On the slendor they turned over the couch part so it was different than what what you sit on.

One thing you may want to check out is on some ships right at the front the last room on each side of the ship is considered an inside room since it has no windows. It also connects directly to a balcony stateroom (like doors between 2 hotels rooms) so you essentially have a 2 room suite paying for one balcony and one inside. Something to check out if it's in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We book two triple rooms for our family and have never felt crowded. Last year we had 2 triple spa balcony rooms. If you plan on getting a spa pass, I would just book a spa balcony room. It would be a lot less than booking two rooms. The spa balcony will give you spa passes for the week for two of you. The Carnival beds are all comfortable in my opinion. We haven't had a balcony on Royal Caribbean before but I have read that rooms are larger on Carnival. I think you would love the spa balcony room for the 3 of you!