Also just off the Summit Canada/NE

warmwinds

Would this tour company be called Baa Haaba WW; "Nature Cruise"? 2hours? I saw another company offering something similar but it was 1 1/2 miles from tender dock.

On another topic. Thanks PoohB. We met on Dec. Explorer cruise. You gave me tips on Roy'sTours in St. John's and Paul in Halifax. We used them both on our Aug. 28th sailing on the Explorer and both tours were great especially Paul's. We loved our New England/ Canada cruise and thinking of repeating next year.

Chris & Carl

On another topic. Thanks PoohB. We met on Dec. Explorer cruise. You gave me tips on Roy'sTours in St. John's and Paul in Halifax. We used them both on our Aug. 28th sailing on the Explorer and both tours were great especially Paul's. We loved our New England/ Canada cruise and thinking of repeating next year.

Chris & Carl

Hi there. So glad you liked the tours. I would have felt bad if they were a bust. This will be our 3rd NE/Can. Love the fall and cooler temps. HUGS

I just wanted to ask the OP if they used the internet at all. If so did it work in their cabins. We just got off of the Jewel of the Seas on Sunday and we purchased their unlimited package. My husband had work to do that came up at the last minute. Well, come to find out after purchasing that the unlimited is unlimited but only in 2 areas of the ship. It did not even work in the Buffett area(Windjammer - Lido).

We were told by the front desk that Jewel has not been modernized like the other ships which now have internet in your room.

Thanks for any help as we are sailing in Dec.

Not the OP but I did sail on the same cruise as he did.. The internet works all over the ship, even in the cabins. That said, I thought it was faster on deck 6 where they have the computers for guests to use..

The ports in Canada all had free wi fi at the port, which was pretty good too.. In Quebec the signal was so strong we were able to pick up their free wi fi on our balcony. I hope this helps.

looking forward to this cruise next september....made me look forward to a different kind of cruise, rather than our usual carribean cruises, we have early seating, but not sure we are going to go formal or not, just the way we are feeling it this time, so wondering if we should sit solo, and not have to explain our absence on formal nights, when you say "elderly", what would you say the average age is on this cruise, not that we are :youngsters", hahahahhhaha...if this is sensitive question, i admire your discretions.:rolleyes:

looking forward to this cruise next september....made me look forward to a different kind of cruise, rather than our usual carribean cruises, we have early seating, but not sure we are going to go formal or not, just the way we are feeling it this time, so wondering if we should sit solo, and not have to explain our absence on formal nights, when you say "elderly", what would you say the average age is on this cruise, not that we are :youngsters", hahahahhhaha...if this is sensitive question, i admire your discretions.:rolleyes:

Lol, I love the term elderly and how it is used / misused.

In reality with a population that continually lives longer... And well. The term should refer to those who are the oldest and have the most trouble getting around etc (So 80+)

In reality, the younger the one who uses the term, so it goes the younger the demographic the term is applied to (anyone who has a whole head of gray hair in some circles are called elderly)

Its has been reported here on CC in the past, the New England & Canada Cruise skews "a bit" older than Celebrity's usual demographic (40 to 70)

So expect this Fall Cruise to lean more towards the "retired set" from 60 years old onwards (as documented by many past CC Members who have Reviewed these cruises)

And I am waging a whole lot of them would take umbrage with being termed "elderly" (and rightly so)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

No, in this case, this particular cruise was not the usual 40 to 70. A great many 80+'s. We are 63 & 67, gray ourselves, and while there were plenty of our Baby Boomer peers, a very high percentage were our parents. Our parents who are in their 80s and 90s. The number of wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, canes was far beyond what you see on a typical Celebrity cruise. Believe me, I can tell when someone is "my age" as opposed to my parents' age, even if we do all have the same color hair.

Besides the issue with so many wanting early seating, the cruise director, Ken, had a running joke each night about which (one) of you will show up at the 10 pm party or whatever they had many times upstairs. We did not go, and it sounded like not too many of anyone else did, either. Does that sound like your typical Boomers? No.

We found the medium age to be in their 70's someplace… We may have waited behind someone having difficulty walking but let me tell you, they were a pleasure otherwise. No fights to witness, no chair hogs etc. Be careful of tables for two on the Summit. There are about 8-10 tables for two along the wall, in a row at the entrance of the restaurant. Every single person entering and exiting the restaurant will pass you. It doesn't stop when dinner begins, you have people coming in late, using the rest room etc. There are a few other tables for two that are very close to the tables next to them, near the window on the side of the ship. They would be ok but I don't know if I would risk a table for 2 again for fear I might be eating at the entrance again..

Its has been reported here on CC in the past, the New England & Canada Cruise skews "a bit" older than Celebrity's usual demographic (40 to 70)

So expect this Fall Cruise to lean more towards the "retired set" from 60 years old onwards (as documented by many past CC Members who have Reviewed these cruises)

I was on the 10/5/2013 Canada/NE sailing last year. I was 39 years old at the time (but I don't look my age, I tend to look younger). I was asked by SEVERAL other passengers if i meant to book that cruise LOL. I was like yes, I did book this cruise intentionally lol. Funny.

I was I believe the youngest on board. LOL. Whatever. To me, age is a number. I don't mind if i'm the youngest on a sailing as long as we all get along mentally. I'd fare better with a cruise full of 70 year olds than I would 20 year olds, that's for sure.

As for others mention of the fall colors/temps. Last year we had next to no foliage. Temps were warm enough still for SHORTS in many ports. Insane. I don't assume that it's the norm. It seems you basically have to see how weather trends that season. Last summer we had long heat waves in the high 90s in my area (NJ). This summer, we didn't have the same and colors here are already appearing.

Hopefully everyone will have the weather they want, and the colors they want :-)

I wish celebrity was doing the same route next season for Canada, i noticed a few different stops on the itinerary this year that arent on for next year. I loved sailing in/out of NJ since i'm only 45 minutes from the port.

thanks for all the information, and sense of humor from you all, we always have a wonderful time on any cruise, and this one will be just as great, sure the comics will have plenty of jokes available, as they usually do....

thanks again for writing back, cc people of any age, rock! tee her

I honestly don't know about accessibility from the tenders, but I'm sure there must have been, otherwise there would have been a lot of people who stayed on board, and I never heard of that happening. But a scooter is a different story and I honestly don't know if they can accommodate them - I'd find that out if it's an issue for you. I know many of the tours we took people had their wheelchairs/walkers stored under the bus and then just were helped up the stairs.

Did not care at all for the shuttle set-up in Quebec. The shuttle only took you to a major street on the other side of the dock area, and it was still a steep walk uphill (some of the streets cobblestoned) to get just to the Lower Town, an even longer, steeper walk (or take the funicular) to get to the Upper Town. I don't know if those buses kneeled. If you have any mobility issues in Quebec I would highly recommend just taking a taxi (which were available on the dock) to get to exactly where you need to go, and back.

Edited by warmwinds

I honestly don't know about accessibility from the tenders, but I'm sure there must have been, otherwise there would have been a lot of people who stayed on board, and I never heard of that happening. But a scooter is a different story and I honestly don't know if they can accommodate them - I'd find that out if it's an issue for you. I know many of the tours we took people had their wheelchairs/walkers stored under the bus and then just were helped up the stairs.

Did not care at all for the shuttle set-up in Quebec. The shuttle only took you to a major street on the other side of the dock area, and it was still a steep walk uphill (some of the streets cobblestoned) to get just to the Lower Town, an even longer, steeper walk (or take the funicular) to get to the Upper Town. I don't know if those buses kneeled. If you have any mobility issues in Quebec I would highly recommend just taking a taxi (which were available on the dock) to get to exactly where you need to go, and back.

I would agree about the shuttle and add that there is a 5.00 cost per ride.

He's very professional, seems aloof at first, but we warmed him up over 14 days. This was our first time in Blu so not sure what is to be expected of the Maitre D'? We certainly had more contact with him than any we ever had in the MDR, but that's to be expected I guess. After just a few days he knew us by name, while others still had to give their cabin number. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad :)

He's very professional, seems aloof at first, but we warmed him up over 14 days. This was our first time in Blu so not sure what is to be expected of the Maitre D'? We certainly had more contact with him than any we ever had in the MDR, but that's to be expected I guess. After just a few days he knew us by name, while others still had to give their cabin number. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad :)

Yes, much more contact with the Maitre 'D in Blu which is why I care. Ordinarily I would never know or really care. I'm sure it will be great regardless. It is just so wonderful to be greeted enthusiastically each night by name.

I would not call Ante enthusiastic. He's nice, but he's not a "Glad to see you!" type at all.

That is an understatement! He certainly was not at all enthusiastic and never glad too see anyone that I noticed! I am sure I ran into him on an S class ship in Blu a year or so ago or his clone....

A less than hospitable host makes it seem as though it is an imposition that you show up for dinner. We always walked up smiling, never once asked for a specific table, for any extra service or special preparation. Every where else on Summit we were greeted with smiles, great hospitality, and professionalism so I do believe that there had to have been some other problem(s) going on other than our showing up. Note that the few dinners we did have there were good but prep and service were no better than in MDR and I did notice that many patrons ordered "off menu" and requested items from MRD menu with no problem.

$5 per person each way for a 2-minute ride :(

Perhaps on the next cruises the word got around that it was better to take a waiting taxi for the same price either to anywhere in town with out the additional walk! I have to say it was an odd place the shuttle dropped us off!

While Ante may not have been a glib glad-handler, I think he was nicer and more friendly than you make him out to be. Your reference to the times you had dinner, and the MDR reference, makes me think you might have been in a suite and therefore not a "regular" AQ guest? I assure you he always greeted us with a smile and a bit of small talk. Another thing I liked about him was that he had no problem pitching in to help his staff - he would often help bus tables or do anything else he could to try and keep things running smoothly.