Also just off the Summit Canada/NE

warmwinds

Thanks for the information on the fall color and excursions. We do get good fall color in PA so that was not a deciding factor when picking a date for this cruise. We met some people from Montreal on several cruises and are hoping to get together with them in Quebec. If not, we'll just look for an interesting bistro for lunch.

Mary Lou

This reminded me of what we did in Quebec! We went to Artist Alley and purchased a painting by a local artist. We had him sign the painting and took a photo of him with the painting. THEN, we went to the actual bistro that was in the painting and got a picture of ourselves in front. It sounds like it was a big production but really wasn't.

While Ante may not have been a glib glad-handler, I think he was nicer and more friendly than you make him out to be. Your reference to the times you had dinner, and the MDR reference, makes me think you might have been in a suite and therefore not a "regular" AQ guest? I assure you he always greeted us with a smile and a bit of small talk. Another thing I liked about him was that he had no problem pitching in to help his staff - he would often help bus tables or do anything else he could to try and keep things running smoothly.

While I don't need to have a lengthy exchange, it is nice to be greeted with a smile. My in laws are traveling with us and we've convinced them that AQ is the way to go so I'm a bit more apprehensive than I might normally be.

I miss Mazy and I'm not even on board yet. Anyone know where he is now?

Honestly, how close do you get to your M'ds? You walk up to the podium, he smiles and greets you, walks you to a table while asking how your day was, you sit down, you have dinner. You finish dinner, you walk past him and say thank you and goodnight, and he says see you tomorrow.

Am I doing something wrong? What other contact do you have? Do you guys go out for a movie and a beer later or something? I'm really confused what the apprehension is about.

This reminded me of what we did in Quebec! We went to Artist Alley and purchased a painting by a local artist. We had him sign the painting and took a photo of him with the painting. THEN, we went to the actual bistro that was in the painting and got a picture of ourselves in front. It sounds like it was a big production but really wasn't.

That sounds like fun.

Mary Lou

Honestly, how close do you get to your M'ds? You walk up to the podium, he smiles and greets you, walks you to a table while asking how your day was, you sit down, you have dinner. You finish dinner, you walk past him and say thank you and goodnight, and he says see you tomorrow.

Am I doing something wrong? What other contact do you have? Do you guys go out for a movie and a beer later or something? I'm really confused what the apprehension is about.

I completely agree with you. In all our cruises, Mazy is the only one that we even remember. He is just so pleasant and professional, it really was difficult not to like and remember him. He greeted us by name each night and it felt like he was genuinely happy to see us. We are not so naive that we think he remembers us.

We are just off the ship today and if you can believe it, for the entire two weeks we thought Shah was the maître d'! :o The guy who I'm guessing is Ante barely acknowledged us the few times he was standing at the podium. Shah was always friendly, smiling, acted happy to see us. And we totally agree about the Blu staff - they were wonderful! Wish we could say the same about the food ... main course was disappointing on several evenings (and nearby tables agreed).

We too are just off the ship and were in Blu

I think we were lucky with our menu choices but am afraid we do not share your positive experience with Shah - it's all a smiling front with no attention to detail. Ante was the only host who noted my husbands food allergy and made sure the waiters understood. Shah also did not take constructive feedback well, he would walk to the table and rather than wait for feedback he would approach with a smiling thumbs up. Three times we had to disappoint him- if nothing else to help others on future cruises have a great experience and he got very defensive, even trying to play down that a waiter had served nuts on a plate

In the end we refused to sit in one waiters section (one morning it took four attempts to get a simple breakfast entre of pancakes and crispy bacon right. The other staff were very good especially the young girls and we have mentioned them on our comment cards

One thing we did not like - and it may be a cultural thing is the way Shah spoke to these girls to get things done, he was much less aggressive with the men

It was a great cruise and I will post a full review later but having sailed with Ante before I would say I want him as our maître d and do not see the junior stand in (which he was) as our preferred host - as I say attention to detail matters a lot to us

Edited by uktog

2 weeks ago (Sept 7-21) Shah did not exist. Ante was completely alone is his maître d'ing duties. Sometimes one of the waiters would help seat people during busy times, but not sure of his name, but he had no other involvement so I don't think it was Shah.

If your girls were the same as ours - Elena, Sofia and Oksana - yes they were just 3 fabulous rays of sunshine.

As a matter of fact, we asked Ante about them because Elena had mentioned it was her first stint on ship, and I thought you had to get your feet wet somewhere else before Blu on board, and Ante said that he hires his staff for their personalities, "the rest they can learn later".

And Bo must have been over the moon as last week was his last cruise before his wedding.

2 weeks ago (Sept 7-21) Shah did not exist. Ante was completely alone is his maître d'ing duties. Sometimes one of the waiters would help seat people during busy times, but not sure of his name, but he had no other involvement so I don't think it was Shah.

If your girls were the same as ours - Elena, Sofia and Oksana - yes they were just 3 fabulous rays of sunshine.

As a matter of fact, we asked Ante about them because Elena had mentioned it was her first stint on ship, and I thought you had to get your feet wet somewhere else before Blu on board, and Ante said that he hires his staff for their personalities, "the rest they can learn later".

And Bo must have been over the moon as last week was his last cruise before his wedding.

Absolutely these were our three delights supplemented byElizabeth the cocktail waitress and her martini glass arrangements of the lemon and limes for our sparkling water. IMHO these three ladies should have been full waiters they were so much more personable and competent than several male waiters

Really? That sounds like a demotion to me. I wonder what happened.

Considering that he's supervising a lot more people, managing a lot more food and dealing with a lot more passengers, I didn't think it was a demotion. Isn't that the kind of thing you do on your way to food and beverage management?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

True, I was thinking more in terms of "here I was overseeing this cushy dining room where everyone is happy and few if any disasters occur, and now I'm in this chaotic place with constant headaches", so, I guess if that's what he wants I wish him well.