Dawn 7/31/05 Pics

NYHartChapp

Thanks for the pictures. That private Norwegian island in the Bahamas looked amazing. Very similar to Royal Caribbean's Coco Cay, which is probably not very far away.

It's right next door, nautically speaking.

Great Stirrup Cay gets very crowded. If you want a bit smaller crowd, head to the right after you debark the tender.

NYHartCahapp

Can I ask your opinion of the wind factor on the front and side balconies? I literally live on my balcony and wanted to know if this would be possible in November in one of these suites. How bad was the wind when the ship is moving? Front and side?

Thanks

NYHartCahapp

Can I ask your opinion of the wind factor on the front and side balconies? I literally live on my balcony and wanted to know if this would be possible in November in one of these suites. How bad was the wind when the ship is moving? Front and side?

Thanks

Hi Amy,

Sounds like you are like DW and me...we LOVE the balcony. Had breakfast on port balcony every day (except one when I wanted to try Venetian at the stern...it was nice, but not as nice as your private balcony) and no problems. Forward deck, IMHO, was never a problem. Unless you have really rough seas (which we didn't...seas were unusually calm...see pics I posted earlier in this thread), I don't see that you can't use forward balcony. If wind picks up, move aft on the balcony and if it gets too bad, move inside. I happen to not mind a bit of wind in the face, but that's me. I'm sure you will hear from others who think forward balconies are too windy. The nature of these boards. Great font of info, tho :).

NYHartChapp,

Thanks for the great pics. We sail on 9/4 in 10506. We already like your idea of breakfast on the side balcony. Would you know who the butler & concierge are for 10506?

18days and counting!!!!!

Monty

NYHartChapp,

Thanks for the great pics. We sail on 9/4 in 10506. We already like your idea of breakfast on the side balcony. Would you know who the butler & concierge are for 10506?

18days and counting!!!!!

Monty

Hi Monty,

You're welcome.

Alex is the concierge. Not sure who the butler is...Corinna? BenMon was on your deck for our cruise...Ben?

Have a great cruise!

Hey Chapp,

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse but...we may have a shot at 9506. It is still available. Can you elaborate on the side balcony. From the pics and the ship diagram it looks as if the side balc is tucked in enough not to get the wind. Is this true. Bear in mind We Live Out There. Can you have a peaceful breakfast without disturbance on the side balc? No napkin flying away etc.

Since we are going in Nov I know the first sea day may be chilly but if I can dwell peacefully on the side balc with no problems then I will try to surprise hubby.

What do you think? Also everyone keeps saying that things were fine with calm seas. It is just hitting me...THIS IS THE FRONT OF THE SHIP :eek: So with rough seas do you get a lot of water on the balc? Is that it? With rough seas, what about the side balc?

I know this a lot of questions but I really want to try the owners suite but I don't want to spend 10 days just looking out at the balcony. Be frank. If I should stay with the aft so be it.

Thanks Chapp...anyone else can chime in at will. I need as much ammo as possible.

Amy - Chapp is my husband and he will no doubt chime in, but I think consistently.

Do a search for my posts and you will see I was asking the same questions - balcony to me is the biggest part, that is why we originally were looking at the AC 9502. But then I worried about wind and got a great upsell to 9506 Owners Cabin AA. (Also though read that at least in summer the wind was NOT a problem in these bow cabins; that is another subject though!)

Bottom line, if your financials work to do the Owners Suite AA 9502, DO IT!!!. We had breakfast on the side balcony every morning but one (just to try main DR). We spent many hours on the front balcony, enjoying that too. You will have the best of both!! It is a DOUBLE balcony, very sheltered to answer your specific question. Awesome. You would not even miss the bow balcony if it were windy.

You will be SO SPOILED by Denny, awesome butler. If the weather is for some reason bad, you have a lovely dining room to eat in. All other side balconies are equally affected by bad weather!

Bottom line, you have a great front balcony, fine in warm weather, and at port. You always have the side balcony, which is DOUBLE length, COMPLETELY PRIVATE (sleep, hangout and whatever you have in mind!!). And you will be hugely spoiled by all the wonderful folks.

You can't do better. The only downside is in bad weather, 'losing' the front balcony. But you have the double length side, and the inside view from the font, and OMG the wonderful treatment of being in an AA on the Dawn. Memorable.

Just re-reading again, it is probably unrealistic to expect to eat outside in November as you leave or re-enter NY - that is of course unrelated to your particular choice of cabin/balcony. The AA Owner Suite side balcony would be as affected by presumably cold weather any side balcony. And Also, regardless of when you travel, you can't expect that it is so calm your napkin will not blow off (as you asked in your original post). They DO!

I'll leave you w/ this. The 9th floor Owner's cabins are AWESOME. (10th Floor too, I'm sure, but I did not stay there.) The side balcony is as protected as any.

(And NO, waves do NOT come up and hit the front even in storm. Well, once, but that is another story!)

BUT: Remember: You are on a ship, subject to weather and storms. Anything from a route change to simply cold weather could mean you will not be able to use your balcony (whatever class you book). THIS IS IMPORTANT!. Bring books or whatever and a good attitude. You may pay for a balcony that you 'can't use', so don't be set up for a disappointment esp. in November.

I hope you read this and take it to heart. :)

Trina,

Thankyou, thankyou,thankyou. I am a hearty ole sole that will use my balcony rain or shine. Cold? That's what Duvets are for! You have answered all of my questions and quieted all of my fears. NOW let the games begin as I try to get this cabin for a decent upsell AND hide it from my DH :D

Oh yeah..my napkin stays put on all of my aft balconies :p

Thanks again

Just to confirm DW (AKA Trina), if you have the wherewithall, go for 9506! Be prepared to be awed by this cabin and to be completely pampered...Alex and Denny will take very good care of you, not to mention Irene and Cenan, the cabin stewards. Have a great cruise!

Archived